• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the NSX a serious car?

No, the NSX isn't a stepping stone type of car, Oyagi. You may have a personal preference for other cars, and you may want to have a Ferrari in the garage for weekend fun while driving an NSX day to day. Or an NSX in the garage and a sports UTE for daily blizzard driving. Or you may change around from Carreras to NSX and sometimes back, but you don't step up from the NSX unless you're moving into the half-million-dollar market. You just step sideways as your taste dictates. On the ladder of sports cars, the NSX is still very close to the top, even five years after they stopped making it.

Great post, but if you look at my original post you'll see I'm very much in the NSX camp. I just wanted to see what others consider the NSX to be in their automotive life.

I've got too much sunk into my nsx, too much time devoted to let this baby go. It is my handmade car, custom in almost every way possible. It might become more track focused in the future depending on what my tastes develop into in the coming years but I think my car's reached its end with me. :)

Great post Simsgw, man who was it just kidding me about my long posts. I think you've set a new record! I'm sure it has beaten me out. I enjoyed it though.

However after reading many from Oyagi, I know he's been just a bit misunderstood - he loves the NSX! As do we all here on this great site.

Lots of fun here - keep on rolling guys. :smile:

According to Gordon Murray, if McLaren F1 was 10/10, he would give NSX 7/10 and Ferrari and Lambo are both 2 or 3/10.

I'd like everyone to think about what car they could buy from the 90's that is as reliable and exotic as the NSX? None really come to mind for me except the Porsche 993.

After signing up and reading about the 993's (I admit I have always loved the looks of the 993) I can't fathom owning one now for the fear of maintenance costs and possible issues (OBDII issues and top end replacements).

I've owned 2 NSX's for a shorter period of time than I cared for so I'm back in the hunt for another one. This time it will be my daily driver. I plan to record mileage milestones much like Hugh has and I'm intrigued to find out how long one can possibly daily drive a NSX (estimated lifespan was 18-30 years on the chassis as per the NSX book).

The only decision I need to make now is whether I want to return to a NA1 (91 thru 94 model) or a NA2 (97 thru 05) or even a 02 to 05 automatic (trust me I have driven it and still feel its a more than capable car for daily driving usage which will be my goal).

Other choices at the moment are:
05 M3
Subaru STI - too boy racerish
Infinity G35 - doesn't everyone have one?
Lexus IS - as per Infinity G35...everyone has them
911 - the potential is there

I just don't see another car that tickles my fancy like the NSX.

The NSX is a serious car.

I'd like everyone to think about what car they could buy from the 90's that is as reliable and exotic as the NSX? None really come to mind for me except the Porsche 993.

After signing up and reading about the 993's (I admit I have always loved the looks of the 993) I can't fathom owning one now for the fear of maintenance costs and possible issues (OBDII issues and top end replacements).

I've owned 2 NSX's for a shorter period of time than I cared for so I'm back in the hunt for another one. This time it will be my daily driver. I plan to record mileage milestones much like Hugh has and I'm intrigued to find out how long one can possibly daily drive a NSX (estimated lifespan was 18-30 years on the chassis as per the NSX book).

The only decision I need to make now is whether I want to return to a NA1 (91 thru 94 model) or a NA2 (97 thru 05) or even a 02 to 05 automatic (trust me I have driven it and still feel its a more than capable car for daily driving usage which will be my goal).

Other choices at the moment are:
05 M3
Subaru STI - too boy racerish
Infinity G35 - doesn't everyone have one?
Lexus IS - as per Infinity G35...everyone has them
911 - the potential is there

I just don't see another car that tickles my fancy like the NSX.

The NSX is a serious car.

I agree with you on the profiling of the cars above lol. Didn't have much to say about the M3? I generally do not like German styled cars. Great performers and usually awesome interior, but they are usually too big and generic looking to me??? I guess because they work as a family to resemble each other and even now everyone is doing it, so the selection of cars have become mundane.

I'm sure many or some would agree. A lot of people like to let performance take precedence, but the fact is many cars go fast and not many do it looking really good.

John - it's definitely a serious car. It is the finest car ever made in Japan, and I think I can say to date. The NSX has been rated by Dupont Registry as one of the 100 greatest cars of all time, and has been rated in the top 25 cars of the last century by other automotive press. I thought it was an excellent car to learn some track skills with, and certainly makes the driver quicker than they would be in many other cars.

Having said that, I intend to go on sampling other cars from around the world. I think I've bought one of the best cars Germany has ever made, and will own and Italian and English sports car following the same theme.

I KNOW you love your NSX, so keep it and ignore your buddy. Better yet - invite him up and take him for some laps at CMP in your NSX. It should put the conversation to bed.

Yeah, nobody believes me when I tell em my car is 18 years old! I love this car - can't wait to drive it home after work.

You know on the horn button - mine popped off the other day and I can't get it back on like the other one. It stays but it's not quite right - doesn't sit low enough down on the little metal thingy. Anyone got any ideas?

Buy a new one. Same thing happened to mine. I replaced both so that the horn graphic on the button looked new on each side.

Oyagi: It's human nature to always want something we can't have :biggrin:

With that said I've had tons of friends tell me the same thing. I've owned similiar cars to you in the past and they keep telling me why dump $100k+ on a e46 m3 when you can easily buy a Ferrari at "today's" market prices....

My answer is quite simple - I enjoy modding cars and buying a Ferrari or other exotic prevents me from touching it.

I consider the NSX an exotic but that V10 R8 at the dealer is knocking on my doorstep as it's a car I'm thinking about to replace the NSX eventually. Every person gets used to things eventually and wants something better. The natural progression is to get a F-car, Lambo or Aston, etc....

Ask a Ferrari owner if his car is exotic and he'll probably tell you not really, just another car after a few months of ownership.

rick

Every person gets used to things eventually and wants something better. The natural progression is to get a F-car, Lambo or Aston, etc....

That statement makes about as much sense as Global Warming. An F-Car, Lambo or Aston Martin is not a better car than an NSX. In fact they are vastly inferior. Forget about the paper specs for a moment and consider the real world.

In real world conditions, the NSX driving experience far surpasses that of any other automobile. When I say driving experience I am taking into account the visceral thrill of driving the car, the car's performance, reliability, resale value etc..

No European exotic car is going to come close in terms of reliability. They will catch fire, crack a front brake rotor, have an electrical failure or leave you stranded miles from home. Sure some of them have that "wowie gee look at me" styling but that grows old fast. The NSX has perfect seductive lines that will never grow old. How fast did the Gallardo lose it's initial "stare at me" value? Now the damn thing looks like a doorstop. A Countach looks like a kit car today as does a Ferrari 328. Bleh!

More expensive does not mean better. At least when talking about an NSX. In 1991 Motor Trend called it the best sports car ever built by anyone at any price at any time. That still holds true today. However I'm going to take it one step further and say it is the best consumer product ever built in the history of mankind.

....However I'm going to take it one step further and say it is the best consumer product ever built in the history of mankind.

Hugh you're awesome & hillarious at the sametime! Somewhat dogmatic, but hillarious! :biggrin:

Hugh is the enthusiast's enthusiast! AND he drives the hell out of his car. Roll on Big Hugh!

The only thing the other exotics mentioned have over the NSX is the interior in many cases as in the AM or Lambo or F car. They're lots more money and it's all in the body work and interior and they have huge motors. So it's all about taste and if I had tons of cash I'd experiment too, but I'd still keep my NSX so I'd have it to drive when the others were in the shop!

The NSX is an amazing car and it's amazing that it was even built! These are great times for auto lovers. Lots around for everyone. I'll be driving my NSX for many years to come! I'm SERIOUS about that! :biggrin:

Hugh you're awesome & hillarious at the sametime! Somewhat dogmatic, but hillarious! :biggrin:

OK, OK, I'll admit that there is one other consumer product that is as perfect as the NSX............

Astroglide.jpg

The only thing the other exotics mentioned have over the NSX is the interior in many cases as in the AM or Lambo or F car.

Oh really? Have you seen the interior of a 17 year old Eurocar? The leather is cracked, stitches have become undone all over the place. Plastic is faded and cracked. Switches don't work. Pieces of trim are missing or rattling. Oh wait, I was talking about a five year old Eurocar. LOL By the time they're 17 years old, most have been recycled into litter boxes or ball gags.

The NSX interior is perfect for a sports car. Everything is ergonomically perfect. The materials are of the highest quality and the cockpit is comfortable enough for 1,000 mile days in any type of weather.

There is simply no comparison. I don't care what car you choose to pit against the NSX. I will eviscerate it like a starving tiger disemboweling a baby antelope after a 2 hour hunt.

Last edited:
Calm down Hugh...don't get too excited here. I'm totally with you on a 17 year old interior in some of these cars but who's talking a 17 year old interiors with lots o miles. You have to put all this stuff in context and qualify it. So before you get all excited think about the term "moving up" and put it into context.

However with all that said - I've seen some damn nice interiors on 18 year old 911s and 20 year old ones too with 40k miles on em and they look real nice. Matter of fact I had one and it all worked in there, all the guages and switches yep all of em and the windows went up and down really nicely. You see I bought an 87 Turbo Look 911 cabriolet with 12,500 miles on it and it was like new inside and out. So don't go too crazy. The interior of a 911 87 thru 89 model 3.2 Carreras may not be your taste but Porsche made some fine cars back then - now they don't compete with the power and speed and agility of the NSX, granted but the interior fit and finish is every bit as nice and some might say a tad nicer.

I agree totally with the ergonomics - absolutely no argument but vinyl is vinyl and the Porsche had some damn good vinyl too. The leather seats in the older guys held up really nicely too if they're taken care of just like an NSXs have to be taken care of. Lot's of guys on this site have replaced the seat covers on their NSXs. When they get older with lots of miles on em - some have chosen to do that - now you may have a secret - no doubt you do but plenty of recovering done here by Primers.

I will mention that my center console ac vent plastic piece that wraps around it - well the vinly coating or film is lifting at the bottom and if I want it to look perfect it's gonna cost me big time like around 200+. Ok , but still there are wear items on the interior too and how bout the little deal about the window thingys. My windows don't operate as well as a Porsche 87 Cabrio I had and it's had the upgrade. So the Germans aren't Euro "trash" by any means. There are some nice Jaguar interiors out there too that have been well maintained in XKEs, I know a friend of mine has one and it's perfect and unrestored-just low mileage - seats too. I will also say - ergonomics aside and comfort of the seats cause the NSX seat is surely comfortable - I know I drove 14 hours straight in mine, there were some damn nice interiors in German and English cars of old.

Don't get me wrong - I love my NSX - but the materials of my 91 aren't any better than my 87 Turbo Look - ergonomically perfect - absolutely but could they have done a bit better - yes they could and they did in the 3.2s. Leather shift boot covers and some other things like the stitching but let's not get too carried away here. Don't mean to start a war. :smile:

Last edited:
Being devil's advocate (for fun):
In real world conditions, the NSX driving experience far surpasses that of any other automobile. When I say driving experience I am taking into account the visceral thrill of driving the car (Subjective), the car's performance (not great but not terrible by todays standards), reliability (id agree), resale value (not 100% sure with cars selling for $20-25K) etc..
We all know Hugh loves the NSX. It truly is a great car but the title of this thread alone is asking for many head-butting-head battles of subjective opinions.

Last edited:
Being devil's advocate (for fun):
We all know Hugh loves the NSX. It truly is a great car but the title of this thread alone is asking for many head-butting-head battles of subjective opinions.

Billy,

Thats the point of the thread and this forum! INFOTAINMENT!!:biggrin::biggrin:

Stepping Stone

Boy I hope not.

This is probably the most I ever want to spend on a used car ... and the only car that I would even consider used.

I am probably 1 of the rare ones, but I am happy that it only comes in v6 as I would never consider a v8 (it is not necessary for my lifestyle & in fact, this is the 1st non 4 cylinder that I have owned). This car is everything that I want for a weekend funmobile: reliable, rare, exotic looking, head turner, sexy & yet still somewhat practical.

There are others out there that probably want something bigger/better than an NSX but I do not think that it means that the NSX is not a serious car. I could go down the list that makes this car special but I am sure that it has been rehashed on this site many times now ...

Back