• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this a good price for a replacement stock front lip $187........

I hope that's what it's called mine finally busted off on the drivers side about a month ago and is hanging when I drive it in that condition. I've been using gorilla glue to temporarily hold it in place until I could buy another one. Any little scrape on something when I go over a dip or something and it pops right off as I've shown in the picture below. I got a price from the dealership that found the part out of Texas for $187 brand new?? Is this a good price point, or should I be looking aftermarket that will give me the same flexibility as the stock lip that can take some abuse. I realize that it's not going to be in pristine or showroom condition because the car is lowered and no matter what I do it still scrapes on many things when I drive, so I've made peace with the fact that it will take abuse, but hoping that it last me a couple of years before I have to replace it again. Any suggestions??

Thx guysNSX_Front_Lip_pic[1].jpg

One of my first mods was an aftermarket lip. Seven years, speed bumps, and steep driveways I put my OEM one back on. Thankfully I didn't throw it away.

If you don't have those things that beat up your front lip then aftermarket is fine, but for me never again until I get a VRH or whatever kit.

Update your profile and set location. Locals may have it for sale too.

Good idea I think I'll do that

- - - Updated - - -

One of my first mods was an aftermarket lip. Seven years, speed bumps, and steep driveways I put my OEM one back on. Thankfully I didn't throw it away.

If you don't have those things that beat up your front lip then aftermarket is fine, but for me never again until I get a VRH or whatever kit.

I'm new to NSX ownership and I kind of figured that the OEM lip takes the most abuse while still holding on for dear life. I met a local guy when I bought my car and he put on 3 aftermarket lips and cracked all of them within a very short amount of time. His answer was to put the air suspension on the car to lift it up when he feels it's too low to clear certain obstacles. Big bucks that I don't have at the moment, so I'm perfectly fine with the OEM lip for now and for the foreseeable future.

www.AcuraOEMParts.com.
71110-SL0-003SPOILER, FR. AIR1$127.28$127.28

<tbody>
</tbody>
cheapest one i found

That is correct. Keep in mind though this is not the original 1991 spoiler as shown in your picture, it is the wider one used on the 1997+. The original one was discontinued long ago:).

Regards,
LarryB

That is correct. Keep in mind though this is not the original 1991 spoiler as shown in your picture, it is the wider one used on the 1997+. The original one was discontinued long ago:).

Regards,
LarryB

Ok didn't know that good to know, so I'm guessing that it fits the 91-96 just fine without any modifications? Anybody have any pics of what the 97+ front oem lip looks like on the older gen?

Ok didn't know that good to know, so I'm guessing that it fits the 91-96 just fine without any modifications? Anybody have any pics of what the 97+ front oem lip looks like on the older gen?
Fitment is standard for all '91-'01 NSX/NSX-T models with regards to the slimmer-profile '91-'96 lip and more-flaired '97-'01 lip.

The '97-'01 lip is perhaps 1cm (or less?) more flared relative to the '91-'01 lip. This is more observable on the sides. Generally speaking, they can only be differentiated when side-by-side, otherwise they appear the same (for the most part).

I need to make a post with a rough how-to.
But I did this on 2 OEM lips and they turned out perfect.
1. Take 1'' painters tape. Apply it around the top of the lip(making a nice 1'' line all the way around).
2. Trace this line with a knife until you have a groove.
3. Keep tracing with heated knife until you cut through the lip making a 1'' tall lip.
4. Use wood plane to even it out
5. Take dremel to round off the edge
6. Plasticoat it to make it look even

End result - No more scraping(assuming you're not lowered more than an inch)

Last edited:
Fitment is standard for all '91-'01 NSX/NSX-T models with regards to the slimmer-profile '91-'96 lip and more-flaired '97-'01 lip.

The '97-'01 lip is perhaps 1cm (or less?) more flared relative to the '91-'01 lip. This is more observable on the sides. Generally speaking, they can only be differentiated when side-by-side, otherwise they appear the same (for the most part).

Ok thanks for the explanation on the lip spoiler that helps out and doesn't seem to be that big of a change that Honda made to the spoiler. I wonder why they made the change in the first place though (curious)?

- - - Updated - - -

I need to make a post with a rough how-to.
But I did this on 2 OEM lips and they turned out perfect.
1. Take 1'' painters tape. Apply it around the top of the lip(making a nice 1'' line all the way around).
2. Trace this line with a knife until you have a groove.
3. Keep tracing with heated knife until you cut through the lip making a 1'' tall lip.
4. Use wood plane to even it out
5. Take dremel to round off the edge
6. Plasticoat it to make it look even

End result - No more scraping(assuming you're not lowered more than an inch)

Interesting? That would be cool to see how yours turned out, got any pics? And a post of a how-to would be cool as well when you have time of course. When I bought the car it had bilsteins and was on the lower perch, so I don't know exactly how much that lowers the car? But no more scraping on things would be nice, but don't know if that's feesable in my current state of suspension though.

- - - Updated - - -

Call Tim P. at Acura of Peoria. You get free shipping.

I just ordered the part through Acura of Peoria, they were a little bit cheaper than AcuraOEMParts.com. They did charge shipping but gave me a discounted rate for the shipping because I said I was sent to them from NSX Prime. They told me that bigger parts like spoilers, engine parts etc... that they do charge some kind of shipping. All in all pretty decent price for the part and the shipping.

Thx

Interesting? That would be cool to see how yours turned out, got any pics? And a post of a how-to would be cool as well when you have time of course. When I bought the car it had bilsteins and was on the lower perch, so I don't know exactly how much that lowers the car? But no more scraping on things would be nice, but don't know if that's feesable in my current state of suspension though.

Here's some pics of it: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/album.php?albumid=749
I'll try to make a quick how to. Been swamped with with work lately though.
Mine is on bilsteins on the lower perch. I think it's a 7/8th'' drop. Basically an inch.

Here is a picture of the two different lip styles:
i3yj.jpg

My driveway is a "lip eater". :mad: So, on the car I have one OEM that has taken a beating, and another stored away for when looks really count.

I've done multiple repairs on the mounting holes on the beat-up one. I straighten out the mangled material around the hole as best possible and clean the plastic in the hole area well. I cut a 2" to 3" long piece of duct tape and fold it over the hole area. Then, I punch a new hole through the duct tape and re-mount the lip. It works amazingly well, holding up on track "parade laps" at 100 mph.

I've even used that technique on other NSXs who have gotten their lip "bitten" on the way to NSXCA events.:eek: (duct tape is part of my travel tool kit)

I know, crude, etc, etc --- but it works for everyday use.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Not to let the cat out of the bag early - but I have 2 lips in development, possibly more - they will be loosely based on the cantrell/route KS/seibon lip but for the 91-01 and 02-up and ground clearance will be one of the big features - as well as I am going to try my best to make them REALLY strong.

The first style to be ready is probably the 02-up but not for sure yet.

Call Tim P. at Acura of Peoria. You get free shipping.

They NEVER pick up and don't return phone calls either. They fulfill online orders but the service is not there. I've tried to reach them so many times-

Science of speed sells them. Mine was about 200 bucks shipped. I think it was higher because I live in Pennsylvania so it would probably cost you less with shipping. Wait till you try to install it. That crap is going to get you pretty mad.

They NEVER pick up and don't return phone calls either. They fulfill online orders but the service is not there. I've tried to reach them so many times-

Nero - Thats really odd, and sorry to hear your experience wasn't good.
I stopped in and met Tim a few years back, he knows our parts about as good as anyone, and was really helpful.
Just my experience, maybe they can step it up a notch. Next time I'm out that way, I'll poke them about it
Cheers

Not to let the cat out of the bag early - but I have 2 lips in development, possibly more - they will be loosely based on the cantrell/route KS/seibon lip but for the 91-01 and 02-up and ground clearance will be one of the big features - as well as I am going to try my best to make them REALLY strong.

The first style to be ready is probably the 02-up but not for sure yet.

FWIW, I think most of us lowered folks would just like the OEM 91-96 style again. I feel like the "racy" style lips ruin the lines of the car. I've been searching for 2 years and cannot find one used. :mad:

Did anybody ever end up creating a lip that would be similar to the original OEM lip. Im fine with aftermarket lip as well, so long as it is subtle and not low. In fact, the smaller (shorter) the better.

Back