• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this a RED-FLAG Fraud warning??

I posted an ad for NSX seats for-sale and this is the reply I got.
-------------

Thanks for the mail , the price is okay by my client and i am ready to purchase from you immiately, i will offer you $600 for the Acura Nsx Seats, and i want you to delete the ad from the website, i have a reputable shipper that will take of shipping from your end i want to let you know i have an associate in the state that is oweing me a sum of $5,500 , i will instruct him to issue you a certified Bankers Draft on my behalf and as soon as Draft arrives,and it clear in your bankbcos it take 3-4 working days before the clearing of the Draft, you hold out your amount, and send the difference to my shipper via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER for the pick up in your place, i hope i can trust you for my balance and also you will be contacting my shipper with all neccesary information needed for pick up in your place i.e the actual weight and exact dimension of the Acura Nsx Seats... if this terms are okay by you, do get back to me with the following details like this: Home Address...
Full Name on cheque...
State...Zipcode. ..Country...
Telephone Number...
Mobilephone number...
Fax Number...
Do get back to me asap with this details for payment to be made out to you immediatelyWaiting to hear from you asap.
N:T I will offer you $100 for you to have the advert delete from web and considered it sold to me.
Cheers,
Jmaes.

That's a ripoff, and a pretty old tactic.

If you didn't have to end the sale to do it, I'd say that it might be fun to screw with the guy somehow.

Viper Driver said:
That's a ripoff, and a pretty old tactic.

If you didn't have to end the sale to do it, I'd say that it might be fun to screw with the guy somehow.

Yeah like send him ONE PENNY via Western Union. He will have to take a few hours out of his day to go to a Western Union branch and pay much more than a penny to get the penny. If he e mails back tell him there must be some kind of screw up and that you have sent the money again. Send the penny a second time wasting more of his time and money.

If you had his home address you could send him Monopoly mony. LOL. Imagine the look on his face when he open the envelope.:D :D :D

steveny said:
Yeah like send him ONE PENNY via Western Union. He will have to take a few hours out of his day to go to a Western Union branch and pay much more than a penny to get the penny.
THAT is brilliant!:D

I also received something similar just recently when I was trying to sell my oem 02 audi a4 rims

definite fraud
-------------------------------

Thanks a lot for the mail and the price is now okay by me so this is
how we are going to seal this transaction There is an associate of
mine in the US who is owing me $5,000 i am going to instruct him to
send you a check for that amount,and when it clears your bank you can
now send my balance by WESTERNUNION.The reason why i am doing this is
that a check sent from over here in UK would take like
40days or more to clear whereas a check sent within the US would
clear almost immediately check.Although i know that the value of the
check is more than the price of the ITEM but i am willing to trust
you with my balance So if this offer is acceptable to you,let me have
your contact information so that i can instruct my associate to send
you a check,that is your name,address and phone number Please get
back to me as soon as soon as you get this mail so that i can kn ow
your decision.I am banking on my balance so that i will be able to
settle my shippers here in there local of
fice because it is cheaper and faster.My regards to the family.
Regards.

steveny said:
Yeah like send him ONE PENNY via Western Union. He will have to take a few hours out of his day to go to a Western Union branch and pay much more than a penny to get the penny. If he e mails back tell him there must be some kind of screw up and that you have sent the money again. Send the penny a second time wasting more of his time and money.

If you had his home address you could send him Monopoly mony. LOL. Imagine the look on his face when he open the envelope.:D :D :D
That is absolutely classic.

These worms are trolling the world, looking for trusting people who can't tell the difference. If there was some way to catch him in person, confirm he is responsible, take him on a nice tour of the SF Bay, out say 30 miles to the Farallon Islands, (great white shark territory) aks him to shave real close (nick himself) and then ask him if he needs a swim to refresh himself. See how well this little shark does with a real shark in the water.........that would be poetic justice IMHO.

Cairo94507 said:
These worms are trolling the world, looking for trusting people who can't tell the difference. If there was some way to catch him in person, confirm he is responsible, take him on a nice tour of the SF Bay, out say 30 miles to the Farallon Islands, (great white shark territory) aks him to shave real close (nick himself) and then ask him if he needs a swim to refresh himself. See how well this little shark does with a real shark in the water.........that would be poetic justice IMHO.
Man, that sounds like you have put a lot of thought into doing something like this. Unless you have............:(

I can tell this is hoky after the first sentence, but i can not quite make out the objective of the scam. Maybe becuase of the broken english, but from what i can tell they are not asking you to do anything untill there check clears. Is it that they expect the seller to exchange the merchendise for the check? Is this some sort of effort to launder money? Am i simply missing the objective.

orange606 said:
I can tell this is hoky after the first sentence, but i can not quite make out the objective of the scam. Maybe becuase of the broken english, but from what i can tell they are not asking you to do anything untill there check clears. Is it that they expect the seller to exchange the merchendise for the check? Is this some sort of effort to launder money? Am i simply missing the objective.

Here is how it works:
1. Your bank will tell you their check has cleared.
2. You, trusting soul that you are, will arrange delivery/shipment of the goods AND transfer the supposed overpayment.
3. Your bank will call to tell you that their cashier's check or other instrument was forged and the funds have been removed from your account.
4. You will scream in frustration.

lemansnsx said:
Here is how it works:
2. You, trusting soul that you are, will arrange delivery/shipment of the goods AND transfer the supposed overpayment.
3. Your bank will call to tell you that their cashier's check or other instrument was forged and the funds have been removed from your account.

What you are omitting to mention is that besides having to pay a fee for as the ones for "bouncing" checks, you may be even in for bigger trouble since YOU may be held responsible for presenting a forged check to a bank.

Not too much effort - after a career dealing with this stuff it comes easy - Please note I did not say anything about doing anything to hurt the person. I just thought a refreshing dip in the ocean might cause them to reflect on their life and how they have chosen to live it. Perhaps once they got out of the water they might turn over a new leaf???

Here is his latest reply. I'm going to see how far he goes with this. Rest assured, I will not release the seats! lol

------------------------

TAHNKS FOR THE MAIL RESPOND, AM VERY SORRY FOR GETTING BACK TO YOU LATELY, AS MY WIFE HAS AN ACCIDENT ON ARE WEY HOME AND THIS LEEDS TO INTERNAL BLEEDING OF BLOODS, I HAVE ALSO CONTACTED BY MY CLIENT TODAY THAT THE CHEQUE WILL BE DELIVER TOMMORROW, I WILL WANT YOU TO BE AROUND SO THAT YOU CAN RECEIVE THE PACKAGE AND SIGN FOR IT. I WILL WANT YOU TO KEEP ME UPDATE IMMEDIATELY YOU RECEIVE THE CHEQUE BY TOMMORROW. TAHNSK. CHEERS, JAMES.

Here is how it works:

So you are saying the check is made well enough to fool the bank? The original post does state that it will take three or four days to clear, but does not seem to specify when the money has to be sent. Again I fail to see the scam unless the bank, for some reason, will clear the check then later finds it is fake?

This seems like, but does not match scams encounter when selling expensive merchandise through local means. One particular case, a person was selling a very nice SUV. He had many responses but all were trying to pass fake money orders/cashiers checks. They were so well made only the bank could verify there validity. This guy was smart enough to drag the buyer down to the bank to verify the cashiers check, it was a fake and the bank called the cops. :p

I remember the good ole days when I sold a few odds and ends through news groups. Talk about risk and faith. The buyer had to have faith the box had more then a brick in it, and the seller risking a forged check. Although, I never read about a case of fraud

orange606 said:
So you are saying the check is made well enough to fool the bank? The original post does state that it will take three or four days to clear, but does not seem to specify when the money has to be sent. Again I fail to see the scam unless the bank, for some reason, will clear the check then later finds it is fake?

Bingo!
Look, I don't mean to be rude but this scam has been discussed all over the web so I'm not going to waste time discussing the finer points of how it works or debate it any further. If you are interested I'm sure a quick Google will get you all you ever wanted to know and more. Let's just be glad that one of our own did not get taken in this time. ;)

OK, long story short, friend of mine got ripped by this exact scam, right down to the emergency illness only on his it was the secretary that was actually critically injured in an auto accident.

The check he received was so good that Wells Fargo Bank told him it was as good as gold and the money was in his account. That is how good these worms are at ripping hard working poeple for usually $5,000 at a hit.

Do not get duped by these scum of the earth. They will get what they deserve sooner or later I am sure.

lemansnsx said:
Bingo!
Look, I don't mean to be rude but this scam has been discussed all over the web so I'm not going to waste time discussing the finer points of how it works or debate it any further. If you are interested I'm sure a quick Google will get you all you ever wanted to know and more. Let's just be glad that one of our own did not get taken in this time. ;)

Sorry, I didn't know I was debating. You left that MAJOR point out of your list of events. I am surprised checks can still be forged on that level. Thanks for the info.

What I've never understood about this scam is, why are you still liable after the check has cleared? Why does the other bank release the funds to your bank if the check is no good? Once your bank says the check is "good as gold" isn't it your bank responsible for the mistake? You only release the goods after your bank says everything is good, it seems to me that they should be responsible after that.

LrdVader
'91 Black/Black

Cairo94507 said:
OK, long story short, friend of mine got ripped by this exact scam, right down to the emergency illness only on his it was the secretary that was actually critically injured in an auto accident.

The check he received was so good that Wells Fargo Bank told him it was as good as gold and the money was in his account. That is how good these worms are at ripping hard working poeple for usually $5,000 at a hit.

Do not get duped by these scum of the earth. They will get what they deserve sooner or later I am sure.

LrdVader said:
What I've never understood about this scam is, why are you still liable after the check has cleared? Why does the other bank release the funds to your bank if the check is no good? Once your bank says the check is "good as gold" isn't it your bank responsible for the mistake? You only release the goods after your bank says everything is good, it seems to me that they should be responsible after that.
Clearing funds has nothing to do with fraudulent check activity. You would need to dig into the UCC code to understand the liabilties on all sides. You can read up here and here for some info.

An example of an actual forged cashiers check:

CCK-BOA-FN.jpg

Last edited:
steveny said:
Yeah like send him ONE PENNY via Western Union.
Unfortunately, it costs you money just to send a penny via Western Union. There are other games you could play, but is it really worth your time.

Back