• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jealousy

Oooh.. I like the 911 idea. There has been so many times where people have pissed me off so bad that it left me all jittery because I was so pissed off.

Originally posted by JusSumDiabloGi:
Oh man! You guys think you have it bad.. I can't take my car anywhere!
frown.gif
I get things thrown at *ME* my car, people yelling at me, flipping me off.

But it's the 2% of people that make me think five times before I take my car out for a drive.
frown.gif

This is ONE of the reasons why I sold my Lotus. EVERYWHERE I WENT was SUCH A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!! I can remember wanting to go for a drive but thinking about it OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN and what could possibly happen.

I don't know why but my NSX does'nt get that and I enjoy blending in a little more.

Just so we know the difference between envy and jealousy. This from www.m-w.com. I think that both are OK based on the examples given below:

Main Entry: en·vi·ous
Pronunciation: 'en-vE-&s
Function: adjective
Date: 13th century
1 : feeling or showing envy <envious of their neighbor's new car> <envious looks>
2 archaic a : EMULOUS b : ENVIABLE
- en·vi·ous·ly adverb
- en·vi·ous·ness noun

Click on the Collegiate Thesaurus tab to look up the current word in the thesaurus.

One entry found for jealous.

Main Entry: jeal·ous
Pronunciation: 'je-l&s
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English jelous, from Old French, from (assumed) Vulgar Latin zelosus, from Late Latin zelus zeal -- more at ZEAL
Date: 13th century
1 a : intolerant of rivalry or unfaithfulness b : disposed to suspect rivalry or unfaithfulness
2 : hostile toward a rival or one believed to enjoy an advantage
3 : vigilant in guarding a possession <new colonies were jealous of their new independence -- Scott Buchanan>
- jeal·ous·ly adverb
- jeal·ous·ness noun

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III
2000 NSX-T #51 Yellow/Black

http://www.m-w.com[/quote]

I tried looking up a definition for NSX. Here's what it said:

The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary. Click on a spelling suggestion below or try again using the Dictionary search box to the right.

Suggestions for NSX:
1. NSF
2. NSW
3. nix
4. NSA
5. NSC
6. knocks
7. nux
8. nixes
9. nicks
10. knacks
11. Knox
12. nooks

Given that list, I'm surprised it didn't include knockers and nookie.
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 24 April 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
However, I've driven a 993. There are a LOT of things about it that are either poorly designed or poorly executed or just damn strange. It's not a bad car, but I consider it a significant step down from the NSX and I would never want to own one

Well, I have to say that aside from my 2000 NSX that I own 2 Porsche 911s including a 1996 Porsche C4S (993). I am not sure what it was that you drove, or what you were looking for in a car, but you definately did not drive a real 993 or at least didn't drive it as it was intended to be driven... ie: over 100 mph.

My 1996 is the first of the C4S model that has everything the 1996 TURBO has except the turbo. While the C4S is a little slower than my NSX to 100 mph, that is where the game really changes. The all wheel drive system in the C4S is night and day better than the NSX.

When the NSX looses traction, the NSX applies braking and slows you down. At 110 mph going into a curve too hot and faced with understeer that is BAD! When the C4S starts to loose traction, it applies POWER not braking to all 4 wheels at different percentages to allow you to drive out of a bad situation or at least enduce moderate oversteer to keep you pointed in the right direction.

I have had almost 20 cars in the last 20 years and my Porsche C4S is by far the best car I have ever driven. There is nothing out of place and the car gets down to business with the best of them. If you want to complain about the radio buttons or the AC controls, then you are really reaching for reasons to hate this car.

As far as the differences between the C4S and the NSX, both of mine are bone stock and I can tell you that it is like comparing apples and oranges. The differences are like night and day. On the track, there is no contest... the superior all wheel drive and massive 13.2" Porsche "Big Red" turbo brakes make this car the hands down winner!!!

Don't generalize that the 993 is bad, when there are some very impressive versions of the 993 that clearly rival anything Honda has been able to build yet... I only hope that if Honda does build a new NSX model that it doesn't focus on the plush GT crusier nature of the car and makes a real sports car this time.

Oh, by the way... now ALL of my cars are for sale... all except my Porsche C4S.
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

[This message has been edited by G-man (edited 25 April 2001).]

I am not sure what it was that you drove, or what you were looking for in a car, but you definately did not drive a real 993 or at least didn't drive it as it was intended to be driven... ie: over 100 mph.

That sure is a snide remark, totally uncalled for. At least it's not typical for this forum.

If you want to complain about the radio buttons or the AC controls, then you are really reaching for reasons to hate this car.

Had you bothered to click on the link I had posted, you would have found ALL the many, many reasons why I think the NSX is a far superior car to the 993. Here is what you would have read:

A while ago, I drove a Porsche 993. I had lunch with a friend, and we switched cars for the drive from the office to lunch. In the past, I had ridden in Porsches numerous times on the track, but always as a passenger.

What a HUGE difference in driving feel! It just felt so very different. I had figured that the driving experience wouldn't be all that different from one high-performance car to another, but I was mistaken.

Impressions:

Who the heck designed these pedals? Were they nuts? Yes, I had heard about the hinges on the bottom of the P-car pedals, but that's not what was so weird. First of all, the amount of travel of the clutch pedal from the bottom to the top was enormous, even though the effective range was just as narrow as the NSX. Who needs all that pedal travel? It just makes it difficult to find the effective range, that's all. Secondly, the gas pedal seems like it's about 20 inches further away from you than the clutch and brake pedals. But then that clutch pedal has so much travel, it seems as though it travels that same 20 inches. Totally incomprehensible.

The dash. Not bad. The NSX dash has a depth of maybe 8-9 inches from the steering wheel to the gauges. In the 911, they're almost in the same plane. It was actually rather appealing that way, because your eyes don't have to find the right focal length from the wheel. Nice.

The gearshift. Also pretty good. The throws are somewhat longer than the NSX (bad) but worked very smoothly (good) and was actually easier than the NSX to put into the proper gear. What I mean is that, there are times in the NSX when I'm not paying attention and sometimes try to go to third and instead go to fifth or vice versa. That would be more difficult with the 911 because there's a much more positive feel in the left-to-right positioning of the shift lever. I might have given Porsche the advantage in this area, but they lost it when they designed reverse gear. Having reverse in the upper left position was strange to begin with, and it was extremely difficult to engage reverse, requiring a lot of pressure and was quite notchy.

The HVAC controls. Ancient hieroglyphics. They must have hired Mel Brooks playing the 2000 year old man to tell them how to label them with those cave man markings. Let's see, there's a big snowflake, that must be the A/C. But why are there TWO different buttons with snowflakes? Why two slider controls? And this knob must be the fan, but when I turn it, nothing happens. (I found out later that there's a brief time lag before adjusting it has any effect.) It seems to me that HVAC controls should be very, very simple. There really are only a few things you can adjust - temperature, where the air comes from, where the air goes to, whether it's chilled, and how fast the fan blows. Not rocket science. ANY car today ought to have simple, easy-to-understand HVAC controls - and most of them do, even your everyday family sedan. But not the 911.

The stereo is an Alpine. I don't know if it came with the car or was aftermarket, but one look at the tiny size of the buttons convinced me not to even try.

Glove box - small but worked okay. The arm rest in the door flipped up (I forget why) and just struck me as junky.

Okay, okay - we get cars like this to DRIVE. So how was driving it? Unfortunately, the route we took had almost no turns, so I can't comment on sheer cornering ability. But the steering is nowhere near as responsive as on the NSX. Like the A/C, there seemed to be a lag. Turn the wheel, wait a half second, and yes, then the car turns nicely. Whereas the NSX seems to turn like magic, as soon as the thought crosses your mind, before you even turn the wheel.

The brakes were very nice - not the killer brakes I had heard about, but smooth and effective. Although lately my NSX brakes have also felt quite good, and don't seem to me to be the weak point some other folks feel they are. But that could be because I've been using aftermarket pads, rotors, and fluid on my NSX. So that may be an unfair comparison.

The power just didn't overwhelm me, but the horsepower curve seemed much flatter than in the NSX. With the NSX, if you keep the revs in the 2000-3000 range around town, there seems to be very little power. But (as we all know) get the revs up over 5000, and it turns into a screamer. Whereas the 911 seemed to have more power than the NSX at the pussycat end of the rev band, but I never really felt it take off the way the NSX does, even when I had it floored at different points in the rev band.

So those are my impressions. To sum up - the 911 is supposed to be a car that competes with the NSX. Before I drove one, my assumption had been that overall I would find it to be an equivalent vehicle - better in some areas, worse in others. But as it turns out, I was quite disappointed. In my personal opinion, I felt that it was just not a very impressive car, with capabilities that don't even come close to the NSX, and features that are are not only user-UNfriendly, but bizarre and senseless.

I've also driven an F355, and found that that car was much more similar to the NSX than the 993 in its performance and general driving feel.

P.S. Gordon, there are LOTS of folks who move from a normally-aspirated 993 (or 996) to an NSX, but very few who do the opposite. (The 911 twin turbo OTOH is quite a different story.) What does that tell you?

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 25 April 2001).]

Originally posted by G-man:
When the NSX looses traction, the NSX applies braking and slows you down.

That is not correct. No version of the NSX TCS system ever applies brakes. It will only cut throttle. The only way the car applies brakes is when you press the pedal. In fact the TCS on the newer NSXs will do exactly what you are praising the P-car for; they will maintain throttle if you lift in a turn and TCS doesn't think you should have.

Hey NSXtasy, you should write a book. You already have at least 1 chapter in this Thread alone
biggrin.gif

That's why I tried to only post the link to the earlier thread. But apparently that was ignored...
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by G-man:

When the NSX looses traction, the NSX applies braking and slows you down.

NOT TRUE G-MAN!!!! If this happened during cornering in the NSX you will switch ends very quickly depending on the amount of braking. Maybe what you incurred here was some driver induced trailing throttle oversteer, but not TCS induced.

Originally posted by Lud:
That is not correct. No version of the NSX TCS system ever applies brakes. It will only cut throttle. The only way the car applies brakes is when you press the pedal. In fact the TCS on the newer NSXs will do exactly what you are praising the P-car for; they will maintain throttle if you lift in a turn and TCS doesn't think you should have.

I stand corrected. Thanks. The net result is similar no matter if you decrease throttle or apply brakes. The net result is that you SLOW DOWN! The Porsche SPEEDS UP and re-directs power to the most effective places. That is not what the NSX does. It is interesting to note that the Acrua MDX all-wheel-drive system actually is very similar to the Porsche system in that regard. Would really be nice to see an all-wheel-drive NSX!
smile.gif

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Hey NSXtasy, you should write a book. You already have at least 1 chapter in this Thread alone
biggrin.gif

That's why I tried to only post the link to the earlier thread. But apparently that was ignored...
rolleyes.gif

Ken, relax there buddy, you will live longer. Your thread was not ignored, just discounted. I don't consider observations about the "glove box" as a critical system on the car... just as the A/C controls and Radio Controls fall short of that critical list.

Now while there were a few comments bashing everything from general lack of power and a floppy shifter, I just filed those under "subjective". I agree that the Porsche "feels" slower, but in most cases, it just isn't. The Porsche shifter really does need more work to be as good as the NSX for sure.
smile.gif

I happen to think the Porsche Pedal positions are extremely optimal for race track driving.

The dask has been pretty much the same for 30 years. Call me a purist, but it is the perfect example of design by evolution.

I can't believe you would comment on the quality of the handling of the Porsche without even driving it on any turns. While the Porsche doesn't have the extreme setup that allows for that NSX "nimble" feeling, I can asssure you that you toss the 993 into a curve at 120 miles per hour and it is every bit as good as the NSX or maybe even better in all wheel drive mode.

As far as the 993 you drove not having the "killer brakes" you have heard about... well, they ARE on my car and they ARE flat out more effective from 140mph to zero than the NSX. I guess the NSX could measure up with the aftermarket pads, rotors, and fluid that you have.
smile.gif

As far as Power between the two cars, you aren't going to go from 0-60 faster in the Porsche, but over 4,500 rpm and from 50mph to 120 mph it is an entirely different story.

While I have to agree that the basic 993 is no match for the NSX, the premium models like my 1996 C4S certainly are. I just hate to see such an opinionated and slanted review of the 993 based on your very brief and not very objective time with the car.

------------------
Gordon G. Miller, III

I don't consider observations about the "glove box" as a critical system on the car... just as the A/C controls and Radio Controls fall short of that critical list.

Of course. But my comments about things like the handling and power delivery are more important and shouldn't be ignored by only mentioning the dash controls, right?

Regarding the other comments - a car can't have sloppy handling on the highway and suddenly turn into a precision machine on the racetrack. Just doesn't happen. And as it happens, I AM familiar with the performance of the C4S 993 on the track at speed, as I have ridden on the track on several occasions with a friend who has one. Different friend, but the car's performance was virtually the same as the RWD one I drove; I didn't see it metamorphosize into something different at track speeds. Similarly, I often drive, and ride in, NSX's with stock brakes, including on the track. (This is one of the benefits of being a frequent instructor at track events.) And I really don't think the performance of the brakes are dramatically different from the Porsche. Just my O, based in part on the hundred or so track events I've driven in. YOMV.

I don't think the 993 (EITHER version) holds a candle to the NSX. But don't take my word for it. The best thing anyone can do to compare two different cars is to drive them and see for yourself. Try driving one and forming your own opinion. And if you do, let us know what YOU think.

When I bought my NSX I thought the best parts were the engine and gearbox - but the excellent ergonomics of the interior were an important part too. I've spent too much time in other exotics where HVAC or pedal placement seemed to be secondary to other considerations, but Honda's attention to EVERYTHING is what sets the NSX apart.

Sorry to get back on topic (ha-ha).

Right after buying my NSX, I had one of those same "hater" incidents, too. I really think that the younger you are the more envious strangers are. It's like you haven't paid your dues. A recent Wall Street Journal editorial kind of hit on it when the author gleefully described how relieving it was that all the young dot-com millionaires were back were they were 'supposed' to be now that the tech market has crashed.

I have really had to consciously work (with enormous help from my wife) to realize that my NSX is just a car and no matter what happens to it, it can be fixed or replaced. That isn't true of our own bodies, and as painful as it can be to the ego, you really have to let these things go and not escalate to a point of no return. Yes, I get pissed by idiot drivers, damage to my car, and live with a certain level of apprehension about ever letting it out of my sight. Believe me after the first two times the front bumper cover is replaced and repainted because someone pulls out in front of you or backs into you, you begin to realize no matter what happens it really will be ok.

I offer these words of wisdom: "Money is replaceable." Time and health aren't.

I should have my first NSX, a beautiful white 92, sometime in the coming days and I must say I'm a bit nervous after reading this thread. I was very timid about the thought of driving her into San Francisco, now I'm pretty certain that will never happen given how people drive/behave in the city. Just looking at the damage to my girlfriend's one year old VW that lives up there makes me cringe.

I haven't had anyone try to run me off the road yet, but people do want to race me in my Miata (the roll bar sets them off I think). The worst was when someone extinguished their cigarette on my Miata's top. Not a lot of damage, but still, it was parked at my home not hurting anyone. I went out and bought a car cover and proximity alarm that same day.

I was on the other side of the coin once when a F355 driver thought I wanted to race him. In truth, I just wanted to look at his beautiful new car, and had to down shift to catch up with him as he passed me. He noticed, gave me the looser/later hand gesture (take your left hand, index finger in the air, thumb out and hold out the window) and took off. Unfortunately, I thought it would be fun to chase him after that so after a spirited drive though traffic in down town San Jose, I pulled up next to him at a stop light and complemented him on the car. Maybe he was annoyed that I was still with him, or just plain afraid of the crazy man driving the Miata way too fast, but he didn't even make eye contact, nod or anything. Very disappointing behavior IMO. I would have loved to have chatted with him, oh well.

I don't exactly blame him. He gave you a friendly wave, and he wasn't intending to "race" you; at that point, he expected you to back off. When I have someone following me and trying to keep up (in ANY car I'm driving), I never really know their intent, and it can be unnerving. While we all WANT to be friendly to others, we also need to look out for ourselves. If you've read anything about road rage, the first thing they tell you to avoid any confrontations in an uncertain situation is to avoid eye contact with other drivers. Anyway, that's how I read your description of his reactions - and I see them as perfectly understandable.

On your other point, I wouldn't be discouraged from driving into the city (S.F.). These incidents are rare in most cities, and as long as you're parking the car in a secure place, you shouldn't need to worry. I drive my NSX into downtown Chicago all the time without incident, and if anything, San Francisco has more exotic cars and should be more accepting of them.

Back