• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Joined the Family!

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2000 NSX-T 6spd in the Blue Pearl w/31,000 miles for $56K (Eye Catching color)and I must say that this is a fun car to drive. I have been a P-Car guy for the last few years owning a 01 Boxster S and a 01 911 TT. The NSX handling is right up with both my Porsches and is so easy to drive. The only thing that I miss is the brute accleration of my Twin Turbo which I had modded to 500HP and 500 pounds of torque (EVO Stage 2 - 0-60 in 3.8 sec). The big question that I ask myself was if the TT gave me $80K of extra fun? The answer is NO.

After driving my NSX I feel that I need to give it some more power to match the exotic head turning look (more looks in this car then in my TT). I spoke to Chris @ Science of Speed and he recommeded that with 3 basic mods the car can get close to my stock TT. These mods are the BBSC, change gears to increase torque and exhaust. With these mods I will not add undo stress to my engine and have a car that would be running low 4's from 0-60.

I live in Maryland so finding someone who can work on my car will determine if I go with these mods.

Any suggestions on these basic modifications and dealer/tuners in my area would be greatly appreciated.

I will be installing the new HID conversion kit form SOS. Having had bi-xenon lights on the Porsche it seems that the stock halogens are not cutting it.

Glad to part of the NSX family!

Regards,

Spero

Welcome! you should go to the Pohanca event on 11/17,to meet other nsxers in your area.Hold off on mods till you have done your due dilligence and logged some miles on the stock car imo.Good luck,you've got a great car there.http://www.pohankaacura.com/

QUOTE:

I spoke to Chris @ Science of Speed and he recommeded that with 3 basic mods the car can get close to my stock TT. These mods are the BBSC, change gears to increase torque and exhaust. With these mods I will not add undo stress to my engine and have a car that would be running low 4's from 0-60.
---------------------------------------------

Welcome !

And Cris is correct.

Good luck!

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

I agree that you should live with your car a while before modding it.

When the time comes to do mods, call Davis Acura in Langhorne, PA (north of Philly). Bernie is the best NSX mechanic on the East Coast.

Don't forget to join the NSX Club of America. The website for the Northeast Region of NSXCA is here.

Congratulations!

Spero,

Congrats!!! Did you by any chance purchase your car at Cars on 18 in East Brunswick, NJ? I know that they had a 2000 blue nsx with ~30k miles for $56k. Their nsx prices seem to be flat out bargains.

Anyways, enjoy your ride and hopefully you can find a good mechanic in the area and give us the low-down on his/or her work. Once again, welcome to the nsx community.
---kld12

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
IWhen the time comes to do mods, call Davis Acura in Langhorne, PA (north of Philly). Bernie is the best NSX mechanic on the East Coast.

B]

I agree that Bernie is great and Davis is a good place to go. When I talked to them about supercharging, the service manager said that they install the Comptech SC for a very good price, but that the owner doesn't want to hear about the BBSC and they will not install it.

I hope this changes and maybe we can help by contacting them to express our interest in the BBSC. I plan on getting one next year and this would be a great place to have it installed. It appears to me that their decision is based on business with Comptech and nothing against the BBSC. BTW... they quoted me a VERY attractive out-the-door price for the Comptech, but I still want the BBSC.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Davis has a policy of not installing mod parts that are not purchased through them.

I suspect that their comments about the BaschBoost reflect their current status as a non-dealer for that item.

Crongrats on your NSX!

I have never driven the 911 TT, but I have a feeling you would not be happy with the BBSC. I would recommend the Comptech. It makes MUCH more low end power and it is more fun driving around town. The BBSC ONLY shines above 6K RPM. The comptech BLOWS it away for daily driving, IMO. Drive them both before you make your decision.

Originally posted by NetViper:
Crongrats on your NSX!

I have never driven the 911 TT, but I have a feeling you would not be happy with the BBSC. I would recommend the Comptech. It makes MUCH more low end power and it is more fun driving around town. The BBSC ONLY shines above 6K RPM. The comptech BLOWS it away for daily driving, IMO. Drive them both before you make your decision.

Really? have you driven both? The thing I found unacceptable about the comptech is that you lose the stock engine cover and as often as I remove my roof thats importaint to me, as is rear visibility. I think the comptech engine cover has a "bag" that you put the roof into and that it sticks up farther than the stock cover thus cutting down on rear visibility? Is this correct?

On the other hand most of my driving is done below 6K rpm and it is here that I want more power, not at the edge. Hmmm.. this may be a hard choice.

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

MikeC,

Yes, I drove both at NSXPO. I tried to drive the GruppeM, but brent was always too busy.

Don't get me wont, the BBSC is great, but ONLY at high RPMS. The car feels 100% stock until about 6K. (note, I drove an earlier version without some of the upgrades). Once you are in VTEC, the car is FAST! It pushes you back in the seat and keeps going and going. It is really cool. BUT, how often are you running to 8000 RPM in 2nd and 3rd.

The competch gives you more power across the entire band and is much more noticeable around town. It really never feels like the stock car. I am not sure on the engine cover issue. I drove Lud's car and he has the cover on i think. I can tell you the accelleration from 60-100 was AWESOME.

The comptech can be had under 8,000 now, and the BBSC is 6,500. I would say for the extra money the Comptech is a better, more proven kit. In a year, the BBSC may be a much better kit than the comptech, but in its current form, I would go comptech.

Andy is upgrading his BBSC with an intercooler and using a larger supercharger (2000 vs 1000) etc. etc. and I have no doubt his car will be faster than the Comptech when it is done (if it isnt already).

For me it comes down to everyday driving and reliability and in these areas, the comptech cannot be beat.

Of course, this is just my opinion.. Hope that helps.

mikec - I'm going to stay out of the "which is better" debate, but will address your engine cover question.

On an NSX-T, the CTSC kit does replace the stock "clamshell" engine cover with one that is made of fiberglass on the bottom half and a soft but heavy duty material on the top half. This unit still holds the -T top quite well, and does not cause you to lose rearward visibility compared to the OEM -T engine cover.

[This message has been edited by Lud (edited 15 November 2002).]

Around a racetrack? All the time.

That is why I said it is better for everyday driving ken
smile.gif

Thanks for all your information and kind words. I spoke to the service manager at my local dealership and he suggested staying with the Comptech products for a couple of reasons. First it is a proven product and he can order the parts and have them installed at the dealership and second he compared Comptech is to Acura as AMG is to Mercedes in the high performance world. He has done many Comptech upgrades and has no problem with still having the car under warranty (this is a big plus). He is a big high performance track guy himself and is aware of all the testing and sponsoring that Comptech does in the racing circuit. He also mentioned that the next years NSX will have a supercharger with the similiar engine (maybe the last generation before the body change).

He did not knock the BBSC but just suggested staying with the proven and supported product from Acura when suggested it to a customer.

Regards,
Spero

If you live in Cali we also have two pretty compelling turbo options in addition to the usual SC suspects.

Southern Cal - Larry Garcia's single turbo kit for about $5.5k installed

Northern Cal - Gerry Johnson's single turbo kit for about $6.5k which includes new exhaust.

Dyno plots of Gerry's kit illustrate significant hp and torque gain over stock in the pre-VTEC powerband, which is exactly where I am lookign for more power.

Good luck and welcome to the family!

Just noticed that you lived in Maryland, so these turbo options may not be appropriate for you since you won't have immediate access to the kit's developers / tuners.

However, I am aware of east coast owners who have shipped cars to Gerry for the turbo install...

[This message has been edited by 8000RPM (edited 15 November 2002).]

Just my .02 from a BBSC owner. What everyone has to remember is that the BBSC is NOT done, it is a work in progress. I would wager that most of us (~30-35) are still running the "basic" kit and not everyone has been properly tuned. Most of us are running basic safe fuel maps until MB can get around to the updates and more tuning. There are many updates coming and I belive in time the kit will be far superior to any other supercharger unit.

Spero, from the sounds of it, on a late model car w/warranty such as yours, the Comptech might just be a good fit for you. There are a number of people who are versed in Comptech installs vs one only person for the BBSC. (well I guess we have to include Nick as well, make that 2
wink.gif
)

Again, just my .02. But to be fair, I think we need to see what all MB has in store for us and all the cards are out on the table before we judge.
wink.gif

------------------
Jason

quote:
Around a racetrack? All the time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is why I said it is better for everyday driving ken

Yeah, but Ken lives at the racetrack
smile.gif

00NSX-T: Congrats from a MD local. Why not hold off on the mods for awhile and enjoy the car for what it is. BTW, please try to make out it to the DC area meet next week...

[This message has been edited by fangtl (edited 16 November 2002).]

Originally posted by 00NSX-T:
He did not knock the BBSC but just suggested staying with the proven and supported product from Acura when suggested it to a customer.

Comptech parts are not supported by Acura and the Acura warranty does not cover repairs of any damages that are caused by Comptech aftermarket parts. In this respect, Comptech is no different from any other aftermarket vendor. Comptech's agreement with Acura only makes the parts available at Acura dealers.

However, any individual dealer may warranty the parts and/or the installation (and anything else they want to warranty). That would not apply to repairs that might be needed at another dealership. And if you don't have it in writing, coverage could easily be denied if there's a change in management at the dealership.

couldn't be happier with my BBSC but also would like to know what is coming down the line in the form of upgrades for me.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

00NSX-T:
Get in touch with Sig (Jason) who lives in N. VA. He has a BBSC on his 91 or 92 and passes the VA emissions. I believe he dynoed in the 380's rwhp.. with headers and stock exhaust. I'm sure he'll be glad to show you what the BBSC has!

------------------
Biaggi
92 Red NSX #483
94 CBR900RR

Back