• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jury Duty

I've served jury duty twice. While it's something I don't "want" to do, it is your duty. Think about it, the upholding of the law is dependent on people like you and me. If you've ever felt there was any injustice in our legal system, well you don't get any bigger stage to make an impact on fixing that than in jury duty. If you don't take that place, then who might? Someone who actually might actually "want" to serve jury duty. In my jury pools we had a lot of disheveled, unemployed and uneducated people because they actually could make time for jury duty and could use the money. THESE are the people I want to decide who is guilty and who isn't? Would I want these people presiding in the jury if I were to be in court? Absolutely not, we need more responsible, right minded people to serve jury duty. Unfortunately these are the same people who just don't have time to serve because they are out busy making money, or taking care of their family, or just being responsible citizens in general. But we need these people to serve or else we'll just keep seeing crazy injustices such as OJ and Casey Anthony.

On a side note, serving jury duty will be a very personally rewarding experience if you do serve. Not only will you have a much greater insight on how the legal system works, it's one of the most surreal experiences of just taking a microscope to society in general and how it works. Don't squander this opportunity to really absorb the dynamic of our culture and society by turning off your brain through the entire process. If you make the most of it, you'll be able to really observe some really interesting things.

Although I never have or wanted to be on a jury because my company doesn't pay for time off for jury duty, Vega$ NSX does bring up some good points, as always, for serving on a jury.

I think I would enjoy being on a jury, however like Vega& NSX points out, for someone like me it's very difficult. I'd have to cancel every patient on my and my hygienist schedule. To reschedule dozens of patients is very costly and sometimes I may not have an opening for weeks. Furthermore, it would force my employees to take a personal day because I'd have to close my office.

Because of the aforementioned reasons, I'll never serve on a jury until I'm retired.

Last time I got called for jury duty, I ended up on a six week murder trial. The media was there every day. It was extraordinary, sometimes surreal, and often painful, but in the end a rewarding and life-changing experience. That said, after it was over I was very happy to get my "jury duty completed" card stamped.

I have questioned over 15,000 jurors in the over 300 trials I have done. I have to say nothing infuriates me more than the juror doing and saying everything possible to get out of jury duty, often times "poisoning" the remaining panelists with their remarks. I try to politely remind them that some day they may need a jury to decide their case and would they expect a fair trial if they needed one.

Their 8 hour days on jury duty are outweighed by the 15-20 hour days I put in on behalf of my client while on trial. Once every 6-8 years is not too much to ask with the understanding that not everyone can sit on a 6 week trial. But a three day trial once a decade is a relatively small civic duty to ask of anyone.

I don't know about serving every 6 years or so. My wife and I each get called for jury duty once per year, without exception. Gets to be a pain after a while. I've heard about the "civic duty" obligation, etc, but I can't believe in my area it's necessary to call us in every year! I have to drive 40 miles (one way) from my home to the court house even though there is a court house 8 miles away, but they don't subpoena us to that one. Another time I sat around until 11:AM only to be told I wouldn't be needed at that court house but would be needed at another court house an additional 20 miles away, by 1:00PM (when do I eat?). Sat around there until 3:45 until I was finally excused. Civic duty? Maybe. Abuse of the citizen trying to perform his "civic duty"? DEFINITELY!!

Jury duty.... not fun at all. I did it once so far. I was there with a big group of people before members got picked for the case. There was one guy that said Im bipolar and he didnt even show proof and got excused asap.

got called in once as a medical resident. It was awesome. Got homey paid for the day, and didn't have to put in 15 hrs! woot!

Now... yikes. I'd have to shutter my business till i'm done, cancelling all the patients and surgeons I have scheduled...

my solution was I never registered to vote locally. I've been here about a decade, and have yet to receive a summons! I don't miss the voting, as pretty much every politician i've seen strikes me as a greaseball. Of course, this comes with the understanding that I have no room to bitch about stupid laws, as i don't vote.

My last visit to JD was a few years ago. I was up to the 3rd alternate before I was dismissed. I answered all the questions asked by both defense and prosecution honestly. Not to get dismissed, but to honestly let the attorneys know my viewpoint. I know victims (and family) of horrendous crimes, I know commiters of capital crimes on death row. I know people who have been (I believe) wrongfully convicted and wrongfully (I believe) exonerated. I would like to serve on a jury, as I feel it is civic duty. I don't know if the system wants me, though.
Miner

Back