• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

just how practical is the NSX as a daily driver

I'm seriously considering getting an NSX. I previously had an MR2 so I know it's doable to drive a 2 seater as a daily driver. In reviewing my finances though it looks like I wouldn't be able to keep my Maxima. So I want to know how many members actually use their NSX as a daily driver. Commuting and running errands and stuff an average of say 4 days a week. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

It's a Honda...a hand built Honda no less.....Just drive it!!!

Take care of the car and it will take care of you....There was a guy at the last SoCal meeting with 234,000+ miles on his....

I see your from Md, so it might not be advisable to drive a x in the snow though do able w/ snow tires. But I don't think you want to get rock salt all over it.

do a search, plenty of discussion on the topic as a daily driver.

I wouldn't even consider driving mine in the snow even with snow tires. Remember, even if you can control your car that doesn't mean that all of the other drivers DO have control of their car.

The only other drawback is that you will wear out tires much faster than other cars.

you're right about the snow thing - I can use my 4Runner for that (although I'll have to share with the wife). and maybe pick up a beater snow car too.

So I want to know how many members actually use their NSX as a daily driver.

Understand first that the NSX is a true sports car, not a luxury car. If you're comfortable with that every day, than it makes a great daily driver.

Take care of the car and it will take care of you....There was a guy at the last SoCal meeting with 234,000+ miles on his....

Indeed. Any well-maintained NSX should get that many miles easily. But maintenance is an expense. It doesn't need any more attention than any other Honda, but you will have to spend a little when the time comes. It's a bit more of a car than a civic, but it is still a Honda after all.

And I'd also estimate that more than half of all NSX owners drive theirs at least 4 times a week. I think you'll be fine.

I don't think the driving part of using an NSX as a daily driver is the main issue- it's the parking. Unless you are anal about where you park, as I am (and that can be impractical on many errand-type drives), the car will suffer. The next time you are at the supermarket, look at the cars in the lot. I guarantee you will see scuffed bumpers, door dings and scratches on many, if not most, of them. In my view, an NSX does not deserve such a fate-get a cheap beater as a daily driver.

The NSX is one of the least practical cars you could ever select as a daily driver. It makes you take the long way to work, sometimes the REALLY long way. You'll never get to work on time, trust me. Even just idling in traffic doesn't seem all that unpleasant in the NSX (at least we know these cars seldom overheat, unlike certain unmentionables). In fact, you'll look at traffic jams in a whole new light. Oh, and it also makes you take the REALLY long way home too. Your wife will hate you, because the dinner she makes is inevitably cold by the time you get back. You'll definitely need to get a copy of Idiot's Guide To Making Up Excuses after purchasing this car. Or else you'll never be able to explain why it takes you 3 hours to get home instead of only half an hour like you normally do when you drive the Ford. The petrol station, on the other hand, will love you, as you'll be visiting them....a LOT.

So if you want to keep your job, maintain a happy marriage, put an end to habitual lying, and stop being Shell's favourite customer, drive another car. Otherwise, the NSX is a perfect daily driver. :D

Lazarus said:
The NSX is one of the least practical cars you could ever select as a daily driver. It makes you take the long way to work, sometimes the REALLY long way. You'll never get to work on time, trust me. Even just idling in traffic doesn't seem all that unpleasant in the NSX (at least we know these cars seldom overheat, unlike certain unmentionables). In fact, you'll look at traffic jams in a whole new light. Oh, and it also makes you take the REALLY long way home too. Your wife will hate you, because the dinner she makes is inevitably cold by the time you get back. You'll definitely need to get a copy of Idiot's Guide To Making Up Excuses after purchasing this car. Or else you'll never be able to explain why it takes you 3 hours to get home instead of only half an hour like you normally do when you drive the Ford. The petrol station, on the other hand, will love you, as you'll be visiting them....a LOT.

So if you want to keep your job, maintain a happy marriage, put an end to habitual lying, and stop being Shell's favourite customer, drive another car. Otherwise, the NSX is a perfect daily driver. :D

hahahaha so funny!! making me wish i could have an NSX

Its great driving it everyday!

Just bought mine last week and I will never stop driving it til bad winter sets in. I call it my sewing machine. Turn the key and go.
Get better milage than my 98 concorde which I also park far away from other idiots in parking lots. So whats the dif. Nothing. Yes, I can haul 4 people in the trunk of my concorde, thats with their clubs, but I have gone for groceries twice, back and forth to work, cruising, I'd be a fool to park it and worry like a baby!
Buy one and enjoy it!
Heres my buying experience!
Thttp://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32510rev in Edmonton

I use mine as a daily driver, I'd never trade it for anything else. It's the closest thing adrenalin wise to my motorcycle, and far more luxurious. Every day I show up at work (and then back home) with a stupid silly smile.

And yes you're going to get all the extra exercise from parking in the "exotic car" spaces (the empty far away spaces).

Well, I have two cars. The NSX and my old beater car. The last one primarily for work-traffic commuting (about 125km/77 miles daily).
So, in the first year-and-a-half of NSX-ownership I put on 30000 miles (48000 km). And discovered completely new roads to work by the way :)
So I guess the answer to your question should be YES.

Soitanly

Mine is definitely a daily driver (see signature below).

The only drawback I have found is the lack of storage for grocery shopping, the lumber yard purchases, lawn and garden purchases, etc.

I can get 6-7 bags of groceries in the trunk. I once purchased a half-dozen molding strips that were 8 feet long (in the passenger seat poking out the t-top held in place with a bungee cord). I mulched around my yard (2 trips for mulch) and got 6 40 lb bags in the trunk per trip.

I have found that, if one chooses their parking spot properly, dings are a non-issue. I just park next to the curbing in an end spot or 3-4 spaces beyond the last car in a row.

All-in-all, I have no issues with driving my X on a daily basis (it's certainly cheaper to drive than the Denali I bought to tow my car to track events).

Mine is also an everyday car. I just want to enjoy it before it goes for the widebody project which I will give about one month to finish. Just watch the tire though. I have been through 3 sets of rear tire already this year in 5 months. Hehe, thats what I call driving enjoyment.:D

Oh no, not again!
pat.gif

Please, please, PLEASE use the button at the top of your screen, the one that looks like this:
top_search.gif

before posting a question that has already been answered over and over and over and over again on these forums.

For example, if you had tried doing a search on all topics with the word "daily" in the title, you would have gotten 36 results, most of which answer your question - including these:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30444
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27582
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22100
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20852
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15396
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3976
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=641
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498

Lazarus said:
It makes you take the long way to work, sometimes the REALLY long way.

I have to agree with you here. I use mine to throw away paper trash..... 10 miles away. Then I stop on the way at Blockbusters, the mall, restaurants, my workplace and then I come home empty handed except for a big fat smile on my face.

I never planned on daily driving the NSX but when I first got it, I couldn't help driving it everyday.

After that wore off (took a while), I started road racing my daily driver which made it hard to use a daily driver - so I divided my time between the NSX and the road racing beater.

Now, I have a comfortable luxury SUV, the road racer (which is in much better shape now), and the NSX.

I actually prefer to have the NSX as a toy and NOT as a daily driver. There is just no way you can really enjoy the car when you use it to haul groceries or sit in traffic with it. It's also not as fun when it's even just a little bit dirty and you can't keep it spotless when it's a daily driver.

I can't imagine having the NSX as my only car. Sorry - but I could never feel good about having molding sticking out of the t-top area of my NSX.

I just love the fact that I can uncover the NSX, fire it up, and go for a great drive, come home, then cover it back up.

JChoice said:
I just love the fact that I can uncover the NSX, fire it up, and go for a great drive, come home, then cover it back up.

Kinda like a secret ninja weapon, eh? *grin*

I keep my daily driven X parked outside my window at work. It's a motivational tool....makes me work harder, and sometimes I'll glance at it at certain angles, in certain lights and I just think "Damn, that's a hot car."

trefive said:
I keep my daily driven X parked outside my window at work. It's a motivational tool....makes me work harder, and sometimes I'll glance at it at certain angles, in certain lights and I just think "Damn, that's a hot car."

My S used to be a daily driver, but now I'm fortunate enough (depends on how you look at it) to have a second car so I can really baby the car. When I do drive it to work, I park in front of a security camera we have that is in my office, and I catch myself looking at the car in black and white security mode....hotness.

I also must compliment Lazarus “that’s a good one” At least you’ll look good in a traffic jam!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I've been using mine as a daily driver, 5-6 days per week, for over the past year. I keep it parked far away from others as recommended, wash it at least once a week and keep it's car cover on daily and I still just won first place against other NSX's at a local Festival of Exotic Cars with my "Daily Driver". I did wear out the $450.00 each rear tires in 1 year/12K miles and replaced the clutch($2200) at 51K, but it's a cheap price to pay to enjoy this car every day. A friend sold his X after several years and says he only wishes he had driven it more. Drive it and enjoy it!!

Back