• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lamborghini Gallardo Insights

Are Gallardos in the same vein as an NSX - that is...can they be driven like an NSX and put on the miles?

No. I doubt you can get one to a five figure odometer reading before suffering through numerous mechanical nightmares. While on the other hand, my NSX made it to 265,000 miles only seeing the shop for normal maintenance and replacement of normally worn parts. At that point she got the built motor/twin turbo infusion and except for a clutch issue has continued to be trouble free up to her current 281,000 miles.

No. I doubt you can get one to a five figure odometer reading before suffering through numerous mechanical nightmares. While on the other hand, my NSX made it to 265,000 miles only seeing the shop for normal maintenance and replacement of normally worn parts. At that point she got the built motor/twin turbo infusion and except for a clutch issue has continued to be trouble free up to her current 281,000 miles.

Eh, it can be done. I mean this one did break in the end, but it was DEEP into 5 figure mileage (90k+) before it did so, and who knows how much maintenance was deferred given the owner's situation...

http://jalopnik.com/5559767/i-sold-everything-to-buy-a-lamborghini-and-drive-across-the-country

Eh, it can be done. I mean this one did break in the end, but it was DEEP into 5 figure mileage (90k+) before it did so, and who knows how much maintenance was deferred given the owner's situation...

http://jalopnik.com/5559767/i-sold-everything-to-buy-a-lamborghini-and-drive-across-the-country

From the article:
"All that driving does have a price and now the car has even less value. After all the hard driving and long miles, the timing chain stretched, crunching the valves and turning the car into an exotic and expensive paperweight."

I wonder how much it would cost to drop a ZR1 motor in that thing?

It's a shame that such a stunning automobile is less reliable than a 1950s Cambobian oxcart.

From the article:
"All that driving does have a price and now the car has even less value. After all the hard driving and long miles, the timing chain stretched, crunching the valves and turning the car into an exotic and expensive paperweight."

I wonder how much it would cost to drop a ZR1 motor in that thing?

It's a shame that such a stunning automobile is less reliable than a 1950s Cambobian oxcart.

I've had to replace a lot more stuff on my NSX than on my Cambodian oxcart as well though. I mean there's only so much to go wrong with a stick axle and a cow.....and even though you have to replace the engine every 10 years or so, you just grill up the old one and it helps ease the pain.

Seriously though, timing chains have replacement intervals just like belts. With a Gallardo, I'm willing to bet that interval is less than 90,000 miles. Also, it somewhat neglects to mention if user error (money shift) was involved (if it was not an e-gear car) Also, that's the only major faux-pas mentioned....so really if you flog a car for 90k miles without doing much if any of the scheduled maintenance a failure would be the rule, not the exception in most cases I'd think.

Maybe I should solicit Lamborghini for an ex-press car to just DD everywhere and see how it goes....you know, for marketing purposes, lol.

Back