• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lancer Evolution.. woes...

Thanks for posting that. If anyone in Atlanta thinks the EVO is a POS and would like to drive mine let me know. I will let anyone drive my evo if they own a nsx and think the EVO sucks. I did the same with my NSX. The only problem with this car is Mitsu kinda sucks as far as service but my good friend is a Evo tech and does all the mods for me there so it's not too bad.

Meeyatch1 said:
The only thing I am really at odds with in this statement is your generalization that all younger people are car poor and spend every last dime on them. It is possible that they are just enthusiasts who enjoy that engine platform. At 26 years of age I am still rather young and personally enjoy cars in any form regardless of engine size. I owned a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for a couple of months and it was a VERY capable car right out of the box. Probably more capable on the track than the NSX for most drivers. It just seems easier to drive quickly. Before you jump on me for that statement, please note that I also own two NSX's and know what I am talking about in that comparisson. Anyone who has driven an Evo will tell you the car is almost telepathic with how it reads what you want it to do and it just does it. The car is amazing. So people should remember...do not knock on it until you have tried it. People seem to get 'engine size envy' on here sometimes and think that a '4- banger' is just some turd gas that gets good gas mileage. Well, I will tell you my Evo was a blast to drive, and my S2000 is like the worlds biggest go-kart and a TON of fun to drive. Just keep these all in mind when looking at a car and its owners.

I love NSX's and all, but you can't put on blinders when you buy a car. I can understand being defensive, but being ignorant is just dumb.

Thanks guys for the support :D :D

Ryanmcd2 said:
Come on now, lets not start the BS. I SOLD my NSX I had for 5 years and bought a evo. I wanted a car I could take to the track STOCK and do well and the evo is just that. The NSX to me is not a good deal. I looked at the new one's and almost did the lease deal but I ended up with a evo. Could of spent 100k if I wanted to but the evo for 28,000 what I paid was a good deal. And guess what if I am at the track and nail a wall I will not cry as bad as I would with the nsx. 28,000 for this car I think is a good deal. If it blows up oh well if it looks like hell is 2-3 years I will get something else. They already have over 15 different exhausts for this car and will have a AEM and a 650HP turbo by the end of the year for about 5k.

Ryanmcd2 said:
Also the nice thing about the EVO is it pulls a better G then the NSX stock and has Brembo's stock. The car is fast and for 2k can do the 1/4 at about 12.5. I have had my EVO now for about 4 months and had 0 problems with it. Also I do like this car better then the NSX, it's more fun to drive. Doing a Turbo back exhaust for $750.00 and getting about 25-30HP with that. :) Computer next, AEM once it's done then turbo, cams, and fuel mods. Should be about 400HP to the wheels and last 100k plus miles if done right.

Meeyatch1 said:
The only thing I am really at odds with in this statement is your generalization that all younger people are car poor and spend every last dime on them. It is possible that they are just enthusiasts who enjoy that engine platform. At 26 years of age I am still rather young and personally enjoy cars in any form regardless of engine size. I owned a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution for a couple of months and it was a VERY capable car right out of the box. Probably more capable on the track than the NSX for most drivers. It just seems easier to drive quickly. Before you jump on me for that statement, please note that I also own two NSX's and know what I am talking about in that comparisson. Anyone who has driven an Evo will tell you the car is almost telepathic with how it reads what you want it to do and it just does it. The car is amazing. So people should remember...do not knock on it until you have tried it. People seem to get engine size envy on here sometimes and think that a '4- banger' is just some turd that gets good gas mileage. Well, I will tell you my Evo was a blast to drive, and my S2000 is like the worlds biggest go-kart and a TON of fun to drive, and both of those are 4-cylinder cars. Just keep these all in mind when looking at a car and its owners.

Yes you can the point I was saying is this car comes with them stock. You can put a bear head on the hood if you want to I don't care. What I am saying is that the car STOCK is pretty damn good, and with a little money it is that much better. I see you are in atlanta why not drive my evo? Give it hell if you want do a 4 wheel drive and see how good it gets to a 100 and see how good it stops. I am just saying I had a NSX and the evo is a better car TO ME. And I am not being defensive, most here think if it costs more it has to be better, same thing when I had my company, I raised my rate 2x and people thought they were getting better service. Who knows.

Rubber Chicken said:
I love NSX's and all, but you can't put on blinders when you buy a car. I can understand being defensive, but being ignorant is just dumb.

Thanks guys for the support :D :D

I drove an EVO.. it was OK... its no NSX... if you want to talk about how great your evo is, I think you are on the wrong site...

I know, I am not tring to push the evo. I know if you had the same driver in a stock NSX vs a STOCK evo I think the evo would win. Also how is the paint on the back holding up on your car? Did you ever find out who did it?

NetViper said:
I drove an EVO.. it was OK... its no NSX... if you want to talk about how great your evo is, I think you are on the wrong site...

Ryanmcd2 said:
I know, I am not tring to push the evo. I know if you had the same driver in a stock NSX vs a STOCK evo I think the evo would win. Also how is the paint on the back holding up on your car? Did you ever find out who did it?

I have a pretty good idea... some ahole at work that is trying to get me in trouble ... Some people are just so low.. it makes me furious....

I have driven the EVO, and I think it is a hell of a car, and a great deal at $30K. Now, the wife does not care at all for the look (wing, hood vents, etc.) and I think the interior is cheap (what do expect, they gotta cut costs somewhere). In my opinion, it is just apples and oranges to the NSX. Driving the EVO, you can't really forget you are driving a screaming fast, great handling, hit a wall braking....economy car. I think those who want it for the track, or those that need a 4 seater, and can't swing an E55/RS6/M5 have a great buy on their hands. But one drive in an NSX is all it takes to know that there is hardly any other driving experience like it. It is not all about the numbers to many of us, regardless of what some will say. When I wind it out I am not thinking "did I hit 60 in 4.8 or 4.6?" They are both great cars, and I thank Mitsu, and Subaru for listening to the American driving public and blessing us with these cars. :eek:

Man I it's hard to play when it's like that. Can you tell the cops?

NetViper said:
I have a pretty good idea... some ahole at work that is trying to get me in trouble ... Some people are just so low.. it makes me furious....

I did look at the E55 and did a test drive on the C32, the 32 was okay. Not worth the 53k they were asking, I don't like the idea of a car booting up. lol Also the E55 was really nice but I just could not see it on the track. With the evo I have 28k into it so far. That's not much money at all and once of the cheepest car's I have ever bought. I know when someone hit me on the drivers side of the NSX it was over 12k to fix. I think if I flipped the EVO and rolled it 8 times it would be about the same to fix.

Shumdit said:
I have driven the EVO, and I think it is a hell of a car, and a great deal at $30K. Now, the wife does not care at all for the look (wing, hood vents, etc.) and I think the interior is cheap (what do expect, they gotta cut costs somewhere). In my opinion, it is just apples and oranges to the NSX. Driving the EVO, you can't really forget you are driving a screaming fast, great handling, hit a wall braking....economy car. I think those who want it for the track, or those that need a 4 seater, and can't swing an E55/RS6/M5 have a great buy on their hands. But one drive in an NSX is all it takes to know that there is hardly any other driving experience like it. It is not all about the numbers to many of us, regardless of what some will say. When I wind it out I am not thinking "did I hit 60 in 4.8 or 4.6?" They are both great cars, and I thank Mitsu, and Subaru for listening to the American driving public and blessing us with these cars. :eek:
:D :D

Yes, I would not really think the E55 would be a good track car (too heavy). I was just comparing 4 door sport sedans. I think none of them drive anything like the NSX, and that is to be expected. Sure most of them are as fast, or faster in many aspects than the NSX, but my point was that the numbers are not a substitute for the actual sensations you feel when driving the car.

www.osofastracing.com He is a good friend of mine. And yes I said stock block/crank/head. The rest of the moving parts are not stock of course. Is it so hard to believe that the most advanced racing technology is capable of pushing so much power? It has been proven to work... and as far as race motors go this latest and most powerful setup of all has turned out to be his most reliable.

And as far as running race gas a lot... I do. VP C16 is close to $9 a gallon at my dealer cost. And I own a Dyno... my car and just about every built car we dyno makes plenty of power over 18 lbs. Its called a nice big intercooler. The stock tt's on supra's do not hold over 21 lbs of boost. Get on www.mkiv.com and take a look at the monster turbos they all run and look at what boost they were running when they made their 750+ rwhp. I do not mean to anger anyone... I just do not like ignorance and disbelief. I am merely trying to show that I am not lying... and there are facts out there that prove it. Thanks. Mo - Elite.

I have owned 2 NSX's (2000-T and 99 Zanardi) and now an EVO. I bought the Evo to be a fast cheap track car and it really excels at that. With ~$1500 over the $29000 cost of purchase, $31,500 total the car it is easily faster than either of the NSX’s I had both in a strait line and at the track. If something breaks it is reletivly cheap to fix. It is however not a better car. It makes lots of noise (squeaks and cracks). The interior, short of the stock Recaro race seats, is VERY VERY cheap. I don’t care it is exactly what I wanted, a cheap fast track car.

I am looking forward to the New NSX.

-matt

Meeyatch1 said:
The only thing I am really at odds with in this statement is your generalization that all younger people are car poor and spend every last dime on them. It is possible that they are just enthusiasts who enjoy that engine platform.
Well, I never said "all" younger people. But, I agree, the comparison with the Evo is not a good one, since, for the same money, you can own that or an older NSX.

Meeyatch1 said:
So people should remember...do not knock on it until you have tried it.
I never said the Evo was not fun to drive, or not a great car for the price, etc. How would I know, I've never driven one before? I can only go by what I've read (mostly on this forum) and it sounds like the Evo is a great deal. So is the WRX (which I have driven), but neither one of them is my bag. If you like them, more power to you.

Meeyatch1 said:
People seem to get engine size envy on here sometimes and think that a '4- banger' is just some turd that gets good gas mileage. Well, I will tell you my Evo was a blast to drive, and my S2000 is like the worlds biggest go-kart and a TON of fun to drive, and both of those are 4-cylinder cars. Just keep these all in mind when looking at a car and its owners.

Guys, (hopefully my last attempt) do you understand how generalizations work? If 90% (pulling this number out of my butt) of a group of people are a certain way, then you can make a general statement that, 90% of the time, will be true. There will be exceptions (there ALWAYS are). Some generalizations (or maybe even a lot of them) can be incorrect (racial ones come to mind). But, that doesn't mean that you can NEVER make a generalization.

But, based on the fact that I have seen literally hundreds of souped-up 4-bangers in my life (and by that I mean Civics, Sentras, Eclipses, etc), of which I can probably count on one hand how many older guys were driving them, I think I can safely make a generalization about the majority of these drivers being younger (30 or less) guys.

And, IN GENERAL, younger guys have (or make) less money than older guys.

And, Mitch, I will submit to you that you are an exception as far as 26-year-olds go. I don't know of many 26-year-olds that own not one, but two, exotics, in addition to other toys like an Evo. I envy you.

Anyway, hopefully this will be the end of kind of a dumb argument, which really wasn't going anywhere useful.

What mods have you done to the car? I was looking at the Buschar turbo back to start with. Also this car is great at what is was designed to do, go fast on a track. I don't care about the inside and never really have. The seats are great, the lights work well and you can rev it to 7500 no problem. :)

blurr said:
I have owned 2 NSX's (2000-T and 99 Zanardi) and now an EVO. I bought the Evo to be a fast cheap track car and it really excels at that. With ~$1500 over the $29000 cost of purchase, $31,500 total the car it is easily faster than either of the NSX’s I had both in a strait line and at the track. If something breaks it is reletivly cheap to fix. It is however not a better car. It makes lots of noise (squeaks and cracks). The interior, short of the stock Recaro race seats, is VERY VERY cheap. I don’t care it is exactly what I wanted, a cheap fast track car.

I am looking forward to the New NSX.

-matt

Shumdit said:
. . .It is not all about the numbers to many of us, regardless of what some will say. When I wind it out I am not thinking "did I hit 60 in 4.8 or 4.6?" :eek:

LOL, I'm glad someone agrees with me on that. Whenever I am trying to talk cars with my buddy who is into Porshes he ALWAYS bring up the 0-60 numbers and I'm like, "Dude have you ever driven any Porshe other than a Boxster? Have you have driven an NSX?" NO! I HATE it when people only look at the numbers. To a real enthusiast there is a lot more to a true driving experience than just numbers.

But... I digress.

If he's running 30 psi on his turbo, that car ain't gonna last long.

almost true but not completely..

if the car was properly tuned he should be fine.

EVO got lots of potential, i been payin attention to it even before it came out. with only $4000 in modification it can whoop a 911 turbo without a problem. and that's on every aspect of a racecar. not just straight line racing.

this article is covered in sport compact car magazine.

OK!!! I give!!!

The EVO is the greatest car in the history of the world.

EVERYONE should go sell all their POS cars and replace them with EVO's.

You'd be STUPID not too...after all, for just a few pennies it can smear an ENZO!

Heck, ENZO owners should sell that overpriced exotic and buy 21 EVO's instead.

Jesus Christ, will you EVO pussies just buzz off and go play with your GI JOE dolls or something!

:D

DONYMO said:
OK!!! I give!!!

You'd be STUPID not too...after all, for just a few pennies it can smear an ENZO!

Jesus Christ, will you EVO pussies just buzz off and go play with your GI JOE dolls or something!

Hey DONYMO, don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel.:D :D :D

DONYMO said:
OK!!! I give!!!

Amen brother... Amen!

I bet there are a bunch of guys on some Neon SRT-4 forum saying the same things about the Evo that the Evo guys are saying here.

"My SRT-4 can whup Evo's all day long for thousands less!" LMAO

Hi All

I am a Ex Evo owner I have driven them for a number of years both on track and road they are a wonderful car as STD.

I have had EVO 4 , 5 and I have driven 6 ,7 and the new 8.

My%20EVO%20V%20F.jpg

My 5 was taken from a 280 BHP to a 450 BHP monster.
with handling to match.
I spent over £30,000 upgrading my 5 and as a trackcar it was awesome but how much was the car and how much was my own talent?

Everybody thought I was mad when I sold it :eek:

I then bourght my NSX and another RWD Eurocar for track.

I then told everybody I would never track the NSX:D
My NSX 1 has now done most of the tracks in the UK

I would never have another Evo myself but it is one of those cars that everybody should try:)

Dale
NSX 1

Back