• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Last minute moral support requested JH4NA2162YT000060

So for a back story I've been searching for a 97-01 Berlina Black/Black Int/MT for the past few months.

I found one at this consignment dealer in CA.. 2000, 50k miles, $45,990, 3 owner. I know it's been posted about here previously, it has some wacky electronics on it (but it's all very high end stuff) and had a CTSC from owner #2... He sold it via this same consignment dealer, when owner #3 bought it he had that stuff taken off (also had HRE's, stoptechs, etc).

I was very adamant about needing proof of the TB/WP since it could have been 12 years for all I know and I was not going to drive home 2200 miles without, not even a possibility. So we haggle back and forth for a while and pretty much he says he's not paying for any PPI findings but kept dropping the price.

Eventually I make a fair offer contingent upon a PPI (on my dime), deposit sent and all. The PPI today performed by a NSX-certified tech at Acura of Concord CA. He stated the car was perfect but there was no evidence that the TB/WB has ever been changed in 12 years and he thought it felt rather loose and highly suggested it should be changed asap.

So I fire back with he has to come down $1000 more to meet the TB/WP job half way but he would only budge $500. Essentially I would be getting the car for $42k, but the $1900 expense of the TB/WP job would be done before I pick it up Friday.

So essentially $43900 for a 2000 with 50k, fresh clock on the TB/WP and a clean bill of health, should I strike? I have to figure it out by the morning so I can schedule everything.

Last edited:
Re: Last minute moral support requested

So for a back story I've been searching for a 97-01 Berlina Black/Black Int/MT for the past few months.

I found one at this consignment dealer in CA.. 2000, 50k miles, $45,990, 3 owner. I know it's been posted about here previously, it has some wacky electronics on it (but it's all very high end stuff) and had a CTSC from owner #2... He sold it via this same consignment dealer, when owner #3 bought it he had that stuff taken off (also had HRE's, stoptechs, etc).

I was very adamant about needing proof of the TB/WP since it could have been 12 years for all I know and I was not going to drive home 2200 miles without, not even a possibility. So we haggle back and forth for a while and pretty much he says he's not paying for any PPI findings but kept dropping the price.

Eventually I make a fair offer contingent upon a PPI (on my dime), deposit sent and all. The PPI today performed by a NSX-certified tech at Acura of Concord CA. He stated the car was perfect but there was no evidence that the TB/WB has ever been changed in 12 years and he thought it felt rather loose and highly suggested it should be changed asap.

So I fire back with he has to come down $1000 more to meet the TB/WP job half way but he would only budge $500. Essentially I would be getting the car for $42k, but the $1900 expense of the TB/WP job would be done before I pick it up Friday.

So essentially $43900 for a 2000 with 50k, fresh clock on the TB/WP and a clean bill of health, should I strike? I have to figure it out by the morning so I can schedule everything.

So for $1,000 off you would take it but for $500 off, you're gonna walk???

I wouldn't lose a car for $500.....Pull the Trigger...once that car is delivered you'll forget about the $500 in 2 seconds.:biggrin:

I wouldn't lose a car for $500.....Pull the Trigger...once that car is delivered you'll forget about the $500 in 2 seconds.:biggrin:
Basically.

Don't let 500 bucks stand between you and your happiness. That 500 is chump change when u start modding it

Crap, that's the simple outsider logic that I probably needed. I guess I was looking for confirmation that the complete deal is overall pretty solid. I'm still at a point where I can back out with only my PPI investment.

I think I was looking for a group of enablers to say "it's okay"

Last edited:

Hi Steve, Since you asked for comment(s)... I am wondering:

- Wacky electronics
- Was FI
- Other mods (BBK, wheels, who knows what else)
- But all those mods reversed
- 50 K miles
- Located clear across the USA

IS this NSX really worth $43,900 ? (Your statement "So essentially $43900 for a 2000 with 50k, fresh clock on the TB/WP and a clean bill of health.")

Other expenses:

Sales tax (figured at 6% on purchase price- I didn't resarch what NC sales tax is on vehicle) = ~ $2634. One way plane ticket to CA ~ $225. ~92 gallons of premium to drive 2200 miles home ~ $350. Now we're at ~ $47,109 and we still need to insure it and hang license plate(s) on it.

I think now you are in 2002 and newer territory, pricewise. If '97-2001 is what you want, cool. Just my opinion and I could be wrong, but I believe you could do better...... patience!

"fresh clock on the tb/wp"

what we talka slangg now my hommie snizzels dizzles

let me fix this statement

"New Timing belt and water pump were recently installed."

so where is the link to this car or whats the VIN so we can look at these wacky electronics

Last edited:

"fresh clock on the tb/wp"

what we talka slangg now my hommie snizzels dizzles

let me fix this statement

"New Timing belt and water pump were recently installed."

so where is the link to this car or whats the VIN so we can look at these wacky electronics

Are we really going to play the grammar & usage game over one statement? Is everybody else as insulting on here? I would like to think we could have a constructive conversation without such. I've seen your work and I respect what you do; however, insulting new members really isn't conducive to community-building.

Link: http://www.specialtysales.com/2000-acura-nsx-targa-c-3263.htm

alum, Thanks for the insight, all very valid points. I don't think with all costs included this isn't exactly the deal of the century but that I would still be doing well. Perhaps I should be patient but I have seen much less cars go for more. The outsider perspective helps as I have became slightly emotionally invested in this car.

The drive across country in something awesome has always been a bucket list item so I don't count that as an expense. The registration costs would exist with any car purchased, fortunately NC isn't too bad and they do 3% on FMV.

Last edited:

Do these PPI's typically include compression/leakdown tests? Having a history of forced induction I'd be interested in the results.

In my opinion previous forced induction could lend itself to opening a can of worms unless you know the owners. Who knows, he/she could have driven around on 87 octane with a 12lbs pulley for example.

Thats a good price.

S2020 was looking at that car not too long ago. IMHO, the car just didn't look right.

hello,
I currently have an S2000. Don't drive it very much but have been thinking about getting a new sports car. I check ebay once in a while just for the hell of it. I don't need to buy it but I will if the price is good (and it seems to be) and the car checks out - and this is the reason for this post.

anyway, I came across a car
(no link b/c no ad but i left VIN below)
this dealership is minutes from my work so I took lunch off to take a look at it. Seems fine so far but second owner (out of 2) only has it for 6 months (don't know the circumstance) but this makes me a little uneasy.
the issues are
this is the VIN: JH4NA2162YT000060. putting in search on this forum showed no result. Does this car belong to any member here or does anyone know about this car.
I prefer a later model but the price is decent so I am considering this. Just want to know if there is a history.

thanks in advance for your help
(I have already posted this in the prospective owner sub-forum. If admin consider this spam, please delete and let me know, thanks)

I saw that NSX in a CL ad a while back and it just didn't look right. The exhaust has the 91-94 oval tips, the wheels instead of being a machined finished are gunmetal, and it's missing a front lip. :confused:

IMHO, there's a much nicer looking 1998 Black/Tan on CL now, albeit it needs the TB/WP done.

Otto

From the pics, I wouldnt consider a new head unit "wacky electronics", however my bigger concern would be the fact that the SC and other things were removed. I wouldnt be as concerned about the brakes and wheels, but the SC removal has me wondering... did it have issues and thats why it was removed and you end up buying a headache? Now Im all about modifying my cars, Im doing a widebody on my nsx, but to me that price is no deal of the century, especially with some of the unknowns.

From the pics, I wouldnt consider a new head unit "wacky electronics", however my bigger concern would be the fact that the SC and other things were removed. I wouldnt be as concerned about the brakes and wheels, but the SC removal has me wondering... did it have issues and thats why it was removed and you end up buying a headache? Now Im all about modifying my cars, Im doing a widebody on my nsx, but to me that price is no deal of the century, especially with some of the unknowns.

This car was sold under that dealership both times, when the current owner bought the car he had it brought back to stock as part of the purchase agreemennt. So this explains the oval exhaust and missing front lip (which I'm okay with).

To be honest the CTSC doesn't bother me that much given the excellent reputation that they have and I will probably end up doing it myself anyway.

The service advisor understood my concerns about the car being previously SC'd and said they would do a compression test as part of this PPI (I guess it is normally not), well unfortunately he was off yesterday and the lady covering for him wasn't aware. I'm going to call back when they open to see if a compression test can be done real quick.

Like I said, I don't consider this an absolutely insane deal but when you factor in that there were only 155 made the exact way I want it then the search gets rather frustrating.

Yeah thats the hard part when youre looking for one with very limited production... you either have to take a chance or keep waiting for who knows how long.

I would have just drive it home and pay for the tp/wp service yourself and saved on initial cost of the car. The timing belt is 99.9% not going to fail. It is sealed from the environment and has steel cords in it. I have seen 16 year old belts with 100k miles on them that look almost brand new. It is quite a Hefty unit. And it is a toothed belt, toothed belts do not use high tension to stay in place. They use the absolue precision teeth of the belt, cam gears, and crank gear to not slip. if you have ever put one in or seen one put in you would know what I mean. I is actually really cool to think of the precision that is taken to make a 6 foot long belt micron precise.

Last edited:

This car was sold under that dealership both times, when the current owner bought the car he had it brought back to stock as part of the purchase agreemennt. So this explains the oval exhaust and missing front lip (which I'm okay with).

To be honest the CTSC doesn't bother me that much given the excellent reputation that they have and I will probably end up doing it myself anyway.

The service advisor understood my concerns about the car being previously SC'd and said they would do a compression test as part of this PPI (I guess it is normally not), well unfortunately he was off yesterday and the lady covering for him wasn't aware. I'm going to call back when they open to see if a compression test can be done real quick.

Like I said, I don't consider this an absolutely insane deal but when you factor in that there were only 155 made the exact way I want it then the search gets rather frustrating.

Price wise I don't consider this a bad deal...at 44k you're right in line. NO ONE is giving these cars away...especially the nice examples. I've been looking for an 05 and I'm willing to pay up for the right car. ZERO...NOTHING....there is no inventory in my color choices. You know in your gut if it's the right car for you. You won't be disappointed!! It's close to 50 degrees in NY today and I'm whipping around and loving it!

To ITRSTEVE

get the compression numbers, do not buy the car without validating the compression numbers by cylinder (especially since the car has a prior history of forced compression)

While the mechanic is poking around, have them use a borescope to check the VVIS plate screws

-on another note

I specifically disagree with alum04org

high 40K is not the start of the 02+ range
it starts up in the 50's

(salvaged or trashed are exceptions in lower ranges)

Several well-kept 2000 have been recently sold in the high 40K and into the 50s in some cases

-

The price is still a good deal even with the cost of the TB/WP added. You may have to wait months for another opportunity.

FWIW, there is a white 2000 here for sale on prime with less mileage, lower asking price, no frankenstein exhaust. If you are set on black only, then you'll have to wait for the right one or jump on this one. But if you are open to other colours, for the money, there are other alternatives.

Don't let 500 bucks stand between you and your happiness. That 500 is chump change when u start modding it

Exactly! If this is a clean car, at the $45,000 price level if you even let $1,000 stand between you and a truly nice car, you are being HORRIBLY short sided. Spend the money if the car is right, or you will regret it later.

S2020 was looking at that car not too long ago. IMHO, the car just didn't look right.

That was the first NSX I look at. putting the VIN into Google showed conflicting info so I was a little leery.
Decided to not get the car at that time as I want an 02+ car.
I looked at this car b/c the dealership was a 2 minute walk from my office. Stopped by on the walk back from lunch - wife was impatient so didn't have much time.
the sales person was friendly and offered a ride but I didn't have time that day. I could be persuaded to buy the car but the dealership moved away so I never look at the car again.
Since then I decided to look at newer NSX's. This proves a little tricky as the numbers of pre 02 cars for sale out numbers the 02+.
as far as seeing the car in person, I did not look at it very closely b/c of lack of time that day and it was in a fairly dark room but there was no gross abnormality with the car.

get the compression numbers, do not buy the car without validating the compression numbers by cylinder (especially since the car has a prior history of forced compression)
-

I had requested with the Service Manager that I would like a compression check with the PPI and he said it would not be a problem; unfortunately, he was off the day the tech actually got started so he was not informed. They checked the voltages of the map sensor and short term fuel trim (not really aware what this is) and both were well in spec. I guess they can get a lot off reading those two numbers. I'm still trying to get at least a compression check done though.

I guess for clarification to others, it wasn't about a $500 or $1000 difference in price but a matter of principle. Should I be paying for a service item that is long overdue? I thought splitting it down the middle was a generous gesture. In the back and forth negotiations I think that I got too emotionally invested about the deal and needed to step back a bit and look at the deal as a whole.

dablackgoku, that GPW NA2 had tan interior (which was the deal breaker). Definitely not opposed to white as it would match the ITR nicely but I've always had a thing for black NSX's.

Last edited:
Back