• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leatherseats.com after the install?

regimen...

While on this subject, I have wondered if the leather used was a different quality in later years? To me, there is a definite difference in feel from some of the NSX seats of 1997-on versus those of 1991-95. The early ones are softer to me and the later ones seem harder.
Interesting observation! I believe the maint'/conditioning protocol used by the owner(s) over the years dictates the softness/suppleness in terms of feel of the leather more-so than the actual appearance.

I owned a '91 NSX w/ an Onyx interior that I acquired in '03 @ 60k'ish miles & it's leather was well taken care of, but it felt stiffer/firmer than the Onyx interior of the '94 NSX which was acquired in '08 @ 60k'ish miles. Both leather-interiors were regularly cleaned/conditioned & appeared identical, but one was more pliable & so forth. The '91 NSX was a life-long Southern car whereas the '94 NSX was a Northern car life-long, until now... :D

So, speakin' of those well-fitting & near-ideal conforming Leatherseats.com interior-conversions, like man- hook'up 'da pics... seeing is believing! ;)

Regarding the idea of worn foam-cushions, shrunken padding, and so forth. Wouldn't that cause the original OEM/stock leather-inserts to appear baggy, loose, and mal'fitting as well?

I do think the Leatherseats.com interior-conversions can look relatively acceptable, but only w/ additional foam, padding professionally added (unless the NSX owner is a proficient/experienced D.I.Y.'er). At least this was my observation from a handful of Leatherseats.com interiors that I've observed in person over the past few years (the craftsmanship & finish appeared to be just fine). I just know that TxChopperGuy's new leather-seats conversion done locally for $1,000'ish out-the-door, looks virtually indistinguishable from the seats of Ojas' Zanardi NSX, other than the choice of non-standard materials by the former. The two NSX'es were literally next to eachother for observation this past weekend. . .

Last edited:
When I finished installing mine they looked loose on the bolster, but tightened up nicely. They look MUCH better than the oem seats looked. I have never seen oem seats that look acceptable. Of course, I have not seen a new car (only 2003 or less).

I still plan on going to a pro installer this spring after it warms up. I want to get my seats perfect so they look like new factory seats. I have been quoted $150 per seat and $75 a seat for labor. hmmmm - which one will I go with? :wink:

+3:smile: Who Doesn't Like these seats? I have a steering wheel to match:biggrin:

I'm interested in the outcome.

I agree, these seats look perfect! If and when I have to re-do my seats, this is EXACTLY how I'd like my seats to look! Good job.

IMG_01831.JPG

These seats are by far the best I have seen. I wish I had someone local that could do that. Every time I see them I get jealous. :redface:

IMG_01831.JPG

These seats are by far the best I have seen. I wish I had someone local that could do that. Every time I see them I get jealous. :redface:

I can might as well sleep while sitting in those seats.:tongue:

My '91 is in dire need of reupholstery, but I feel like the driver's bolster gets so much abuse when you get in and out of the car that it wouldn't be long before it looks worn again. Baring learning how to get in and out of the car without rubbing on that bolster (I don't move like I used to!), has anyone redesigned that area when recovering their seats? Underneath maybe?

Dan

My '91 is in dire need of reupholstery, but I feel like the driver's bolster gets so much abuse when you get in and out of the car that it wouldn't be long before it looks worn again. Baring learning how to get in and out of the car without rubbing on that bolster (I don't move like I used to!), has anyone redesigned that area when recovering their seats? Underneath maybe?

Dan

My thoughts exactly. Sure i could plunk down a small fortune to recover everything is fantastic leather but then a short while later it will be cracking and tearing apart just like my seats are now. Without a solution for the bolster issue i have a hard time going back to leather in these areas but anything less than leather seems cheap imo.:confused:

btw, don't tell me to slide in over the bolster, i've tried it and i'm simply too big and old for that.

Lets see TXchopperguys seats, any pictures available?

Given that "a small fortune" is definitely in the NSX vernacular, I hadn't thought to give the same description to seat covers. I think I paid around $600? That's 1/2 a t-top gasket, 1/3 a timing belt and 1/8 an EPS rack. You can't even buy a nice wheel for that much these days. Spending that every 10 years or so would not seem to be overly burdensome.

Not to make light of the cost, I certainly wouldn't let a worry over long-term durability prevent me from investing in the seat covers. Now if I was shelling out $3k (like CF bodywork) or $10k (like a paint job), then I'd agree with you.

Given that "a small fortune" is definitely in the NSX vernacular, I hadn't thought to give the same description to seat covers. I think I paid around $600? That's 1/2 a t-top gasket, 1/3 a timing belt and 1/8 an EPS rack. You can't even buy a nice wheel for that much these days. Spending that every 10 years or so would not seem to be overly burdensome.

Not to make light of the cost, I certainly wouldn't let a worry over long-term durability prevent me from investing in the seat covers. Now if I was shelling out $3k (like CF bodywork) or $10k (like a paint job), then I'd agree with you.

Thats my point though. $600 isn't allot of money if your just getting a new seat cover that matches your factory interior and installing it yourself but its still more than anyone wants to pay for something that is prone to failure in such a short amount of time (30k someone posted, thats maybe a year or two).

The small fortune i was talking about is when you decide to do an all leather color change like i am considering. I can't imagine getting the seats, door panels, dash, headliner and rear panels covered in leather for less than around $3,000 and more likely closer to probably $5,000 after installation and the prep work and painting of the matching plastic pieces and a new matching carpet kit. Who wants to go through all of that to end up with a worn out drivers seat bolster in about a year or two again?

Thats why i think using something more durable than leather on the bolsters would be an intelligent decision however as i have discussed with other members before, if you use another material (like say alcantara) for the seat bolsters then where do you stop with it and where else do you use it so it doesn't look "patched in". We all know leather looks the best but it just isn't as practicle nor cost efficient for some applications.

I'm sure this isn't as big an issue for those who don't have an ivory interior but for those of us who do and do not care for that color and plan on changing it then the costs can easily get as high as a repaint or any of the other things you listed so bolster wear has to be a consideration for some of us.

I keep seeing that many are worried about the bolsters wearing out fast. I had a an audi tt w/ 60,000 miles and five years of wear and the bolsters looked new. The interior is very tight in the tt as it is with the NSX.
Every two weeks without fail I would apply leather protectant. It made them slick as ice, but they never showed signs of wear. Of course, audi makes some of the best interiors for the price imo.

Jim,

Wanda's trim shop on Harrison ave right off of 74.

They did the seats in my 95 installed for 520 with perforated centers.

Take the seats out and take them to her. Let her know you want them to be VERY tight like the factory were. Any color stich anything you want. PM or call me for the number..

Jim,

Wanda's trim shop on Harrison ave right off of 74.

They did the seats in my 95 installed for 520 with perforated centers.

Take the seats out and take them to her. Let her know you want them to be VERY tight like the factory were. Any color stich anything you want. PM or call me for the number..
Is that the little old lady that does your seats?
What other "favors" does she do for you? :wink:

Here she is getting on the Vendor forum:
lifealert.jpg

lifealert.jpg

HAHAH That's pretty funny....

I'm still trying to figure out if its worth buying from leather seats.com and then having a shop install it... I guess the results speak for themselves... sigh!

Last edited:
What other "favors" does she do for you? :wink:

lifealert.jpg

:eek:Justin you should be ashamed!!!:biggrin:

Yeah thats her.. She is much shorter than the woman in the pic... Standing at 4'4" she towers over any nsx seat you bring!:biggrin:

I had mine done custom, it cost about $1200 for seats, doors and center console. I use perforated Alcantra in the middle of the seats. The seats are full leather in back etc. The fit is as tight as the ones above, everyone comments on how great they look. I have seen some of the leatherseats.com and I was not impressed. The NSX is not the type of car you go for the cheapest option in, nothing looks worse than a poor fitting interior. Spend the extra money for a custom, you will be glad you did.

I had mine done custom, it cost about $1200 for seats, doors and center console. I use perforated Alcantra in the middle of the seats. The seats are full leather in back etc. The fit is as tight as the ones above, everyone comments on how great they look. I have seen some of the leatherseats.com and I was not impressed. The NSX is not the type of car you go for the cheapest option in, nothing looks worse than a poor fitting interior. Spend the extra money for a custom, you will be glad you did.

Picks please!

They look much better in person

Attachments

• Door 1.jpg
    Door 1.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 616
  • Seats 1.jpg
    Seats 1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 781
  • Seats 2.jpg
    Seats 2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 681
IMG_01831.JPG

Just called an upholstery store in Orlando for a quote on recovering my seats, seats alone, they wanted $3450:eek::eek:

Why can't I find a place like this above in Orlando:mad: Crazy how much price can fluctuate.

Just called an upholstery store in Orlando for a quote on recovering my seats, seats alone, they wanted $3450:eek::eek:

Why can't I find a place like this above in Orlando:mad: Crazy how much price can fluctuate.

There are a gazillion upholstery shops in Florida. Keep shopping around. Don't forget to check out the marine upholsterers. In this economy you should be able to negotiate. Since the kit is made for the seat, you should be paying around $750.00 for a good shop to do both seats.

When I finished installing mine they looked loose on the bolster, but tightened up nicely. They look MUCH better than the oem seats looked. I have never seen oem seats that look acceptable. Of course, I have not seen a new car (only 2003 or less).

I still plan on going to a pro installer this spring after it warms up. I want to get my seats perfect so they look like new factory seats. I have been quoted $150 per seat and $75 a seat for labor. hmmmm - which one will I go with? :wink:

And I thought yours turned out pretty nice. Thread on fourringpilot's seats

IMGP0316.jpg

Back