• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Leatherseats.com after the install?

Re: GB: Leatherseats.com group buy!

We recently added some new materials to our production line that can be used on the NSX. Specifically we are now offering a line of Italian Top Grain Automotive leathers that are both softer and more durable than the standard leathers that we use.

We are also offering a true Italian Nappa Smooth grain leather in Black only, so for you guys that really want SMOOTH NO GRAIN leather only we can DO IT!

Lastly, we now carry the actual Alcantara Italian Synthetic Suede which is by far the most durable, most stain resistant and most UV protected automotive suede on the market.

Email Eric direct if you have any questions about these upgrade materials... his email is [email protected]

Thanks,
LeatherSeats.com

We recently added some new materials to our production line that can be used on the NSX. Specifically we are now offering a line of Italian Top Grain Automotive leathers that are both softer and more durable than the standard leathers that we use.

We are also offering a true Italian Nappa Smooth grain leather in Black only, so for you guys that really want SMOOTH NO GRAIN leather only we can DO IT!

Lastly, we now carry the actual Alcantara Italian Synthetic Suede which is by far the most durable, most stain resistant and most UV protected automotive suede on the market.

Email Eric direct if you have any questions about these upgrade materials... his email is [email protected]

Thanks,
LeatherSeats.com

Eric,

I'm communicating with Radge via ebay and I'm glad you mentioned something about suede.

Radge is looking into Kangaroo leather, the strongest leather in the animal kingdom (anyone that have seen kangaroo kick eat other in the gut with clawed foot that can disembowel a human would know this).

I like to have a smooth kangaroo surface on the sides and head rest and a suede kangaroo on where the legs, butt and back are resting on (center portion).

This is in black.

Lemme know how much something like this would cost.

Eric,

I'm communicating with Radge via ebay and I'm glad you mentioned something about suede.

Radge is looking into Kangaroo leather, the strongest leather in the animal kingdom (anyone that have seen kangaroo kick eat other in the gut with clawed foot that can disembowel a human would know this).

I like to have a smooth kangaroo surface on the sides and head rest and a suede kangaroo on where the legs, butt and back are resting on (center portion).

This is in black.

Lemme know how much something like this would cost.

What?

baby_kangaroo.jpg

2682882456_d3b08cd58c_o.jpg

kangaroo%20JumpingKick.jpg

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LoXqP37Ycxg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LoXqP37Ycxg&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

This should give you an idea as to why the leather is so strong from the land of down under.

When Kangaroo leather is split, it "retains considerably more of the original tensile strength of the un-split leather than does calf.

When split to 20% of original thickness kangaroo retains between 30 to 60% of the tensile strength of the unsplit hide. Calf on the other hand split to 20% of original thickness retains only 1-4% of original strength.

It's interesting to note that Kangaroo leather has a unique feel. It seems to me to be a bit stretchy and it feels something like a cross between silicone, Chamois and leather.

Last edited:

BATMANs, Kangaroo hide is a very, very high quality leather w/ great applications, but Nappa leather (sheep hide) is a better upholstery material. Nappa is much more soft & supple than Kangaroo, thus more comfortable & luxurious. Kangaroo has good stretch & water/abrasion resistance characteristics, hence why it's used every effectively in soccer shoes & motorcycle leathers.

Properly cleaned/conditioned Nappa leather will last as long as Kangaroo leather. It's the urethane-coating that wears off, and yes- it'll wear'off on Nappa leather & Kangaroo leather at the same rate per a given amount of use/time. After enough use, the Kangaroo covered seats will look like other leather covered seats.

The literal best combo' to redo OEM/stock NSX seats:

- Nappa leather covering the seat cushion periphery, trim, and headrests

- Synthetic non-textured/non-grain tech-leatherette (looks/feels/ages like leather, but wears better) covering the side-bolsters

- Perforated Alcantara/Ultra-Suede covering the upper/lower seat cushions

Proper cleaning/conditioning will keep the appearance fine for many years, wear-&-tear will be virtually non-existent w/ the aforementioned materials in the precise locations as stated.

BATMANs, Kangaroo hide is a very, very high quality leather w/ great applications, but Nappa leather (sheep hide) is a better upholstery material. Nappa is much more soft & supple than Kangaroo, thus more comfortable & luxurious. Kangaroo has good stretch & water/abrasion resistance characteristics, hence why it's used every effectively in soccer shoes & motorcycle leathers.

Properly cleaned/conditioned Nappa leather will last as long as Kangaroo leather. It's the urethane-coating that wears off, and yes- it'll wear'off on Nappa leather & Kangaroo leather at the same rate per a given amount of use/time. After enough use, the Kangaroo covered seats will look like other leather covered seats.

The literal best combo' to redo OEM/stock NSX seats:

- Nappa leather covering the seat cushion periphery, trim, and headrests

- Synthetic non-textured/non-grain tech-leatherette (looks/feels/ages like leather, but wears better) covering the side-bolsters

- Perforated Alcantara/Ultra-Suede covering the upper/lower seat cushions

Proper cleaning/conditioning will keep the appearance fine for many years, wear-&-tear will be virtually non-existent w/ the aforementioned materials in the precise locations as stated.

I felt Kangaroo leather and it's softer than cowhide. Certainly soft enough for my tastes.

I'm more concern with the durability of the leather than anything else.

Years ago when I had my FD RX7 I redid the shitty bonded leather seats with Vinyl on the back and sides where there was no contact with the seat from my person. The side bolsters and head rest was Ultra Leather and back and seat was Ultra Suede. For those that dun know it's a synthetic leather that looks and feels like the real thing (made from polyester).

ZERO maintenance.

It cost me $400 labor for the pair plus less than $100 for the materials (out the door).

It was the first time the upholstery shop used that material.

Look at the results:

seats7.jpg

seats6.jpg

seats5.jpg

I loved it, but the part that I was missing was that sweet leather smell.

Needless to say I called the same shop and since the NSX seats are larger in surface area and more complex than the FD seats in how they were constructed he told me to look at ebay for leatherseats.com since he's done a few and really liked the quality and results.

He charged $500 for the installation labor.

And anyone that knows me knows that I will research to death and get the best stuff so I don't have buyers remorse.

My driver's seat bottom is starting to show wear on the perforated leather. I'm not sure how old they are since DrVolkl put the leatherseats.com covers on.

My driver's seat bottom is starting to show wear on the perforated leather. I'm not sure how old they are since DrVolkl put the leatherseats.com covers on.

I wonder how much they would want for a replacement piece?

Just got my kit in !!!! I'm gonna get them on and see what it looks like.

Going back to stock seats? What color combo?

I got the OEM '02 style but with silver stitching, I'm gonna put the leather right on the aluminum seat pan so it sits loooowww! (have to have the leather modified)

Gonna try it out anyway since Downforce can't supply me their seats in black leather...

I got the OEM '02 style but with silver stitching, I'm gonna put the leather right on the aluminum seat pan so it sits loooowww! (have to have the leather modified)

Gonna try it out anyway since Downforce can't supply me their seats in black leather...

you're not going to have any foam between the leather and the pan?

you're not going to have any foam between the leather and the pan?

Just the thin foam on the back of the leather already, maybe I might add a 1/4" soft rubber or something.

What does it take to get the seat bottom cushion off? Do you have to remove the seat to do it? I wouldn't mind shaving some foam off mine or whatever to drop it an inch or two.

Back