• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Letter to KBB / NADA concerining NSX and insurance values

Just FYI... when my TL was totalled, they took the average for sale price of cars currently on the market, not the actual agreed upon post sale price. Regardless, it can't hurt to write the letter and make their product better and more accurate.

You just told me you don't own an NSX in a thread that was removed. What's going on?

what the hell are you taking about?
Ive never talked to you in any thread I can remember. the only threads I stick to are ones I create since I'm not one to offer advice on a subject I'm not experienced in.

I was at NSX-STOCK in NJ that "THE KID" did last weekend and you can call or PM Larry B about me or my car.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89346

and I set up an exotic meet 2 months ago with local NSX, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari clubs at my restaurant
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84789

bodypainter said:
How does it cost us NSX owners? Just because someone else got a terrific bargain doesn't mean I feel any pressure to offer up another bargain.

Cowards? That's pretty strong considering your so-called benefits are rather weak.

I just don't see the problem. Okay, the KBB book value is way off base. Who cares? You do, but I don't. Seems to me that you're tilting at windmills here.

Its costs us because it keeps the value of the NSX down due to every buyer or seller not having a base or guide or black and white values to at least start with. that is essential for any and every transaction dosent matter what your selling or buying. A couple people I know are either looking to sell or buy and it is a problem when typical buyers think NSX's are worth 10k Less than experienced NSX buyers who have been around a little longer. another example is that there is no reason why NSX owners cant just walk into a dealership and trade in a bone stock NSX for 4-5k less than what they could sell it on the street like most other exotic or rare cars out there.

If you don't see a problem than keep your 2 cents to yourself.

Why do some people on this site choose to make comments with no value or regaurd to somonelses concern. 3-4 people on here already said it is worth the effort and a good idea.

If you don't like it, troll some other thread. Why do some people come on to add nothing but negativity.

How simple is it to understand that more people thinking the NSX is worth less is not a good thing?

Im just gonna stick the the Regional Section and Market Place from now on. Too many people on here just looking for drama.

The cowards thing is a just a quote obviously. It just applies in general to the millions of people in society, that just sit back, say it wont work, and wont even make an effort to sign a petition or give 1 minute to a group effort but than live in a society that was created by petitions and group efforts no matter how minor or major.

Never mind.

I'm wasting my time getting into this. I'm gonna go back to my $18M condo project now. That I got a lot of people sign a lot of petitions to get approved.

why is there so much negativity here?,,,,,,,,,,
instead of bashing my efforts why not just take a minute and copy and paste the stupid letter.

:eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Although I applaud your valiant effort, you're probably only going to hear crickets in the distance.

:smile:

I applaud your efforts but KBB/NADA's inaccurate pricing on cars like the NSX and other rare, low-production cars won't change.

Both KBB and NADA use set formulas based on nationwide auction data. These formulas work fine for 99% of cars but so few NSXs move at auction (and the
ones that do tend to be in below-average condition) that the formula that works for most other cars just doesn't where the NSX is concerned.

I just don't think KBB/NADA is interested in devising a new approach and/or formula for < 1% of cars. The existing formulas work fine and are fairly accurate for nearly every other car.

Insurance companies for the most part pay "fair market value" for cars. They use Autotrader, Ebay and other reputable sites for comparables. I have seen lenders, however, use KBB/NADA as a guide for maximum loan amounts. I'm not worried about that though--needing a down payment tends to keep the riff-raff away from the NSX. There aren't too many lenders who lend on 15+ year old cars so even though these cars are finally becoming "affordable" they are now so old it's difficult to obtain a good loan--and most riff-raff don't have $25K in the bank to spend on a car. I also think most kids' parents would be very quick to shoot down a high-interest loan on an older car in favor of a lower-interest loan on a much newer car than an NA1 NSX.

:rolleyes:

Thank you, you are right on the money. 100k plus mileage NSX should be low to mid $20's. Considering the fact that 1995/96 are going for mid 30's now, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason to pay the same price for a car that are four plus years older.

KBB is a guideline, that's what the dealerships will use to buy, trade and sell cars. Early NSXs I have seen that were sold for more than $30k plus usually have some desirable mods, or super low miles.

100k miles... You gotta be kidding me. There are probably 7000 early NA1 NSXs out there, and the much more rare NA2 are dropping price in a unreal rate, and many buyers shoot for below KBB value when purchasing those rare NA2 cars, and yet, people want $10k more than KBB for a 100k miles, STOCK 1991 NSX.

HOWEVER, it is worth what people are willing to pay, perhaps that is why from time to time, I see people complaining about why they can’t sell their car when they think the asking price is reasonable.

:rolleyes:

Write your letter and let us know how it works.

:biggrin:

I think this is a good idea. I'll write a letter too.
Being what the NSX is, I can not see why they wouldn't listen.

Thanks for helping :biggrin:

for the new news............ price ARE changing!
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=958234#post958234

I gotta give credit where it's due. It looks like you accomplished your goal and in doing so benefited all us owners. Good work and thanks.

Greetings

I do not think that the letter will be successful. You need facts in the letter before you send it to KBB and NADA. Your estimates may be in line, but you are dealing with statisticians here. The numbers need to have digits in the dollars and cents fields. You should send it as an Excel Spreadsheet instead of a letter. You must talk their language is you want them to listen. I would send something like:
1991 NSX Serial #XXXXXXXXX sold on 2008-02-28 in San Jose, Ca $YY,YYY.YY
1994 NSX Serial #ZZZZZZZZZ sold on 2008-02-28 in New York, NY $MM,MMM.MM

This is how you sell a point to these folks. You need at least 8 sales to use an n-1 statistical data set -- 8 cars for each year. I would also do standard deviation and relative standard deviation calculations for them.

I am not so concerned about price. I think that someday far into the future when the NSX G3 is released (If any of us live that long :smile: ), that I will wait until someone who is willing to pay what I want for The Black Beauty to come along. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" about selling/buying cars. If you are not under duress or in a hurry, you can get your price. There just aren't that many out there. It took me 8 months to find and buy mine -- don't rush yourself, but don't miss a good opportunity.

Good Luck
Martin

Something is "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it. You have too much time on your hands if you are writing these letters :rolleyes:

Anyone that is worried about their insurance company screwing them should have a stated value policy.

Greetings

I do not think that the letter will be successful. You need facts in the letter before you send it to KBB and NADA. Your estimates may be in line, but you are dealing with statisticians here. The numbers need to have digits in the dollars and cents fields. You should send it as an Excel Spreadsheet instead of a letter. You must talk their language is you want them to listen. I would send something like:
1991 NSX Serial #XXXXXXXXX sold on 2008-02-28 in San Jose, Ca $YY,YYY.YY
1994 NSX Serial #ZZZZZZZZZ sold on 2008-02-28 in New York, NY $MM,MMM.MM

This is how you sell a point to these folks. You need at least 8 sales to use an n-1 statistical data set -- 8 cars for each year. I would also do standard deviation and relative standard deviation calculations for them.

I am not so concerned about price. I think that someday far into the future when the NSX G3 is released (If any of us live that long :smile: ), that I will wait until someone who is willing to pay what I want for The Black Beauty to come along. Read "The Millionaire Next Door" about selling/buying cars. If you are not under duress or in a hurry, you can get your price. There just aren't that many out there. It took me 8 months to find and buy mine -- don't rush yourself, but don't miss a good opportunity.

Good Luck
Martin

what oppertunity? How am I rushing Myself? Do you know how to read?

I already own 2 NSX's there... Dilbert. your brilliance is way too late on this one buddy. Thanks for the instructions. Read the post.... I did write... and we got results. got responses and letters on other thread to prove it was worth my time. I hope you were kidding.

By the way the more professionally you ask for or present something nowadays the more defensive the receiving party becomes mentally due to the changes in society influenced by mass marketing, scams, & hidden 3rd party interests. You want something done? Just sound like a consumer who just barely knows enough and will take it to the BBB and complain or to whichever legal commission is responsible for monitoring their business. Serial numbers & Vin #'s will sound like Honda themselves writing letters to manipulate the market. Reverse psychology presentation in this case worked. I'm sure many have tried your way over the years.

Times have changed. society is becoming more casual, fancy places becoming jacket optional, million dollar deals are done through text messaging with lol's, ttyl's :) :( j/k. CUL8R's. The office is dying my friend welcome to the "at home working in our underwear generation".

Something is "worth" what someone else is willing to pay for it. You have too much time on your hands if you are writing these letters :rolleyes:

Anyone that is worried about their insurance company screwing them should have a stated value policy.

:biggrin: I have too much time on my hands? I just helped up the trade in value on your car whithout much hassle and future prospective buyers no longer need to learn the market for themselves.. Roll your eyes at someone else buddy you sound like you did not read the post and see the results from what I wrote posted on another page. Look up click NADA in a previous post. the value went up 10k since we wrote the letters (no previous changes in 6 years) and yesterday got feed back from edmunds that they just became aware of this and agree and will make current market adjustments. Thanks.

So many people on this forum are getting more negative by day. What is going on here?

Last edited:
Patricio......these people are cluless and have nothing better to do than to be pessimistic and bad mouth another persons valiant efforts.......

I appreciate your efforts and I am happy to see you did make a change

Trying is better than doing nothing. The worst thing that could happen is the value remains unchanged. Thanks for looking out for us owners:smile:

I gotta give credit where it's due. It looks like you accomplished your goal and in doing so benefited all us owners. Good work and thanks.

Job well done Patricio one more left KBB. :smile:

:biggrin: I have too much time on my hands? I just helped up the trade in value on your car whithout much hassle and future prospective buyers no longer need to learn the market for themselves.. Roll your eyes at someone else buddy you sound like you did not read the post and see the results from what I wrote posted on another page. Look up click NADA in a previous post. the value went up 10k since we wrote the letters (no previous changes in 6 years) and yesterday got feed back from edmunds that they just became aware of this and agree and will make current market adjustments. Thanks.

So many people on this forum are getting more negative by day. What is going on here?

I guess we ALL made $10k for your efforts then! Nice work!!

Patricio

What I meant in my post was to deal with statisticians as one of there own -- send them statistics. I am unaware that anything has changed in the NADA or KBB due to any letter/email writing. I looked at KBB before purchasing my toy, but their value did not have anything to do with what I had to pay for it. Don't get bent. You have to play to the audience -- I do some angel investing -- you need to come see us boys with a good dog and an even better pony.

PS. Dilbert was the original telecommuter -- he sat in the video conferences unshaven in his PJ's using a hand puppet in front of the web cam.

Congrats on owning 2 NSX's.
Martin

Last edited:
At a local auction a few days ago a 91 NSX was up and starting bid was 12k and ended at 20k.. car had a lil over 100k miles on her.. Just as a FYI. I told my friend he should have bought it.. :rolleyes:

Cars always go much cheaper at auctions. Estate pickups or small dealers looking to unload inventory. 20k for an NSX at an auction is not surprising, but also at auctions All Sales are Final :). Here in NC you can buy all kinds of nice looking cars ( exterior wise) at auctions, but mechanically is a different story. People doctoring up vehicles just long enough to crank it up and drive through and let people bid, then falls apart :)

At a local auction a few days ago a 91 NSX was up and starting bid was 12k and ended at 20k.. car had a lil over 100k miles on her.. Just as a FYI. I told my friend he should have bought it.. :rolleyes:

Back