• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lift Struts

It pays to roam

I bought my car which came with one of those heavy wide three level bling bling wings..Makes my trunk extra heavy and so I did not know if it would not stay up due to the weight or if the struts were just bad. Now I can send them out and request a little extra oomph in them to compensate for the extra weight..

I do love this forum...:)

Excellent service and repair!!!!

I just got my Trunk Struts serviced by Frank, I would recommend him to all NSX owners. Quick turnaround repair time friendly service. The Trunk seems to be holding up better than new OEMs.
I am one happy customer.

Thanks Frank

Re: Excellent service and repair!!!!

gomaidy said:
I just got my Trunk Struts serviced by Frank, I would recommend him to all NSX owners. Quick turnaround repair time friendly service. The Trunk seems to be holding up better than new OEMs.
I am one happy customer.

Thanks Frank

How quick was it?? I drive mine everyday, so I would need less than a week turn around. Thank you.

Mitch - Frank turns them around in 1 day or so, so the only delay would come from the postal service to/from Canada. Just put a 2x4 in your trunk to hold it up when you need it and you'll be okay. The struts will be better than new when you get them back and it will only cost you around $60.

one happy customer!
so strong, is has that self lift hydrolic sound to go with it!
took about 3 weeks because of postal
now im trying to figure out if he uses pay pal or not..

Received mine in just a few days turnaround. Haven't installed them just yet (I have a spare set while the shot originals are still in service) but the timing was excellent. Thank Frank if you're reading this.

It's really nice to have working struts for the rear glass.

Frank is great to deal with.

The only delays are the postal service, but good things come to those who wait.

Ah - lucky I did a search on this!

I'm a new owner and all 4 of my struts are bad. I was this close to purchasting 4 new ones from the dealer. i couldnt find the part #'s for the glass hatch so i did a search and - whalah - i happened upon this thread! I just thought i'd give it a little bump after Frank returned my email with a call in just a couple hours! Really nice guy - and willing to do it on his dollar 'til I receive the fixed struts! I think I might just go out and take the struts off b4 i go to bed! sooo exciting :D

Received my re-manufactured struts back from Frank about a month ago - they work great and I am very pleased with his service. BTW, shipping to Canada for all 4 was less than $10 by USPS.

Finally got em back

Here's my last update on the strut fix.
Frank's a nice guy, yes, but I suggest you do some shopping to see if you cant find a closer shop that can repair them - possibly one that can show you the "damage" that is being fixed before doing so. I sent mine off thinking I'd have them back in and working in a week and a half at a total cost of less than $100. Three weeks later I got them. Maybe thats due only to slow shipping (?), I dont know. The other let down was the cost. after the price hike, an unexpected "damage fix" ($50.00), & shipping, I spent a couple dollars shy of $200.00 (US dollars) getting the 4 struts in working order (and theyre still the same ol' struts). Just thought I'd update this thread. To some it may still be worth the savings - to others it may be worth it to pay a little more for brand new ones.

I've had a similar experience with the price hike on his struts. They work fine so far and I can't complain about that but I certainly didn't expect to pay $40 US each for them when I heard they were around $25 just a short time ago. I can get new ones from Niello for just over $50 with our discount. Oh well, live and learn.

According to the some other info on the site, it seems as though some dealers are willing to goodwill this repair - has anybody been lucky enough to have this happen?

bayarea nsx said:
According to the some other info on the site, it seems as though some dealers are willing to goodwill this repair - has anybody been lucky enough to have this happen?
No. But we're only talking about a hundred bucks here...

PoohBEAR said:
Agree...I ordered and will pick up a set tomorrow.

Would someone please clarify whether the ball stud that is attached to the bottom of the TRUNK strut is a permanent part of the strut or the new strut comes with it attached from the dealer?

Looks like there are two version of it, one with the ball stud and the other does not.

Please post the part number if available.

thanks.
:wink:

nis350 said:
Would someone please clarify whether the ball stud that is attached to the bottom of the TRUNK strut is a permanent part of the strut or the new strut comes with it attached from the dealer?
Both. The ball stud is a semi-permanent part of the strut. Although you can buy the ball stud separately, the new strut comes with a ball stud attached as part of the unit.

nis350 said:
Looks like there are two version of it, one with the ball stud and the other does not.
The only version I'm aware of has the ball stud.

nis350 said:
Please post the part number if available.
74872-SL0-013

It's shown as number 19 in this parts diagram:

13sl00_b5510.gif

nsxtasy said:
Both. The ball stud is a semi-permanent part of the strut. Although you can buy the ball stud separately, the new strut comes with a ball stud attached as part of the unit.

The only version I'm aware of has the ball stud.

74872-SL0-013

It's shown as number 19 in this parts diagram:

----------

Thanks again as usual. :wink:

Okay, I'm confused...it looks like it's part number 24 that is the ball stud??

I picked up my order tonight and found out it came with new ball joint. I was also told to screw the old strut off and stick the new one on WITHOUT trying to pryout the old ball joint. VERY GOOD thing... :D

bayarea nsx said:
Okay, I'm confused...it looks like it's part number 24 that is the ball stud??

My struts are shot, there are some scratches on the piston, can these still be repaired?

Re: Lift Struts For NSX&Others As Well

Hello NSX Owners.
There seems to be amongst some owners re the cost of rebuilding a trunk lid strut& engine cover struts.
Provided the shafts of the strut are not damaged by "clamping of pliers" shocking practice but does go on,the cost of rebuilding each strut is $40 Canadian which is $32 US if the shaft damage is not "excessive" i can still rebuild your strut& i don't know that$ figure till the struts arrive at most you will spend is $5 xtra for each strut damaged.
Postal service can be "Slow" so if you are not in a big hurry send them via the courier of your choice,the turnaround from my end is maximum 2 days the rest of the down time is in transit so don't blame me!
Make sure you declare the value at $1 or nil value other wise they will attract duty :smile: & you will love that!
Some owners have tried to remove the ball stud "Don't" just leave all the fitments attached.
So you shoudn't have any problems with your struts once they have been rebuilt,if the composite bearing has cracks in (on your trunk strut) the strut then is not viable to rebuild.
Any queries just e-mail me at [email protected]
Happy&Safe Motoring,
Frank Irvine,
Strutwise.

ATERPAK said:
I've had a similar experience with the price hike on his struts. They work fine so far and I can't complain about that but I certainly didn't expect to pay $40 US each for them when I heard they were around $25 just a short time ago. I can get new ones from Niello for just over $50 with our discount. Oh well, live and learn.

They where $25 2 years ago but as i have mentioned to other owners my suppliers costs don;t remain static& the $40 is Canadian not US which works out 2 $32 US a bargin if you look at what the engine cover struts cost.
Cheers,
Frank.

Back