• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lift Struts

Re: Finally got em back

MLmotorsport said:
Here's my last update on the strut fix.
Frank's a nice guy, yes, but I suggest you do some shopping to see if you cant find a closer shop that can repair them - possibly one that can show you the "damage" that is being fixed before doing so. I sent mine off thinking I'd have them back in and working in a week and a half at a total cost of less than $100. Three weeks later I got them. Maybe thats due only to slow shipping (?), I dont know. The other let down was the cost. after the price hike, an unexpected "damage fix" ($50.00), & shipping, I spent a couple dollars shy of $200.00 (US dollars) getting the 4 struts in working order (and theyre still the same ol' struts). Just thought I'd update this thread. To some it may still be worth the savings - to others it may be worth it to pay a little more for brand new ones.

Lets get this right it was NOT in US dollars it was Canadian $ plus with shafts damaged with plier marks??
(And they where bad)NSX owners need to know the proper picture here,with Trunk struts at US$50 each&Engine cover struts at $US 147.50 each you are saving a lot of$& to say "you have the same old struts" i gaurantee they will outlast your original set.

Last edited:
PoohBEAR said:
Looks like Frank increased the price to $40 Canadian dollars
No they have been $40 Canadian for over 2 years now.
What you have to do is check on the price of new units trunk struts at $US 50 a stut& Engine cover struts at $US 147.50 each.
You will still find it is viable to rebuild them.

So for two trunk stuts to get repaired it will be $40 CDN each, plus shipping? What is your current turn around time if I sent these out later this week?

I forgot how much I paid, maybe $80-$100 for the engine lift struts.. but I got those done like 1-2 years ago, and they are still running strong.. good job Frank
P.S. you'll love the way the gas struts will lift the whole glass hatch by itself when u lift it halfway.. lol
way cheaper than dealer..

:smile:
Meeyatch1 said:
So for two trunk stuts to get repaired it will be $40 CDN each, plus shipping? What is your current turn around time if I sent these out later this week?
Yes turnaround time from when the struts arrive is 2 days.
Depending on whether you use a courier co(they are quicker) than using postal service,that has an outcome on "How Quick" they come back to you.
Just remember to declare at "Nil Value" for customs duty.
Cheers,
Frank.

Don't mess with Frank, Hes a great guy and delivers as promised.
Carefree and easy and willing to talk on the phone if you have the time.
Always easy to get a hold of if need be, thats a plus!
Shocks returned exactly how you sent them. That is, if you ship them right, you get them back right. I slipped each of mine into old heavy socks and then packaged them into the proper size box with bubble wrap. Had two more from a friend and he just put them in bubble wrap. All came back perfect.
I think Frank gets his wife to polish them but he wont tell us that!
I never knew how new shocks react but wow, I almost lost my chin when I opened the trunk for the first time. Hang on!!!
Just watch out on the trunk units that you dont shoot the little c-clip across your driveway.
tRev

Attachments

• PIC_0005sm.jpg
    PIC_0005sm.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 235
I was trying to decide between the rebuilt trunk struts or just getting new ones (~$70 per side). Unless I am reading something wrong, it sounds like the rebuilt option is BETTER than the new OEM in terms of performance of the shock (i.e.-lifting the trunk for your almost)....is this correct?

frank irvine said:
NSX owners need to know the proper picture here,with Trunk struts at US$50 each&Engine cover struts at $US 147.50 each
That price for engine cover struts is around US$147.50 for a pair, NOT EACH! They are shown in the parts manual as "Stay, Rear Hatch Open" (part number 74820-SL0-003). List price is US$73.70 each, and you can get them for $58.94 each at Delray Acura, and maybe even less elsewhere.

The trunk struts do cost around US$50 each; list price for "Stay, Trunk Opener, part number 74872-SL0-013 is US$64.63 each and Delray's price is $51.68.

When this was an isue for me a year or so ago, I ended up buying new discounted struts from Goodwin Acura. I've forgotten the prices for new vs. recharged struts.

I do remember that it was only a little bit more for brand new struts vs. sending my tired struts up to Frank for a recharge. No regrets; I'm sure Frank does good work, that was just the path that I took.

Meeyatch1 said:
I was trying to decide between the rebuilt trunk struts or just getting new ones (~$70 per side). Unless I am reading something wrong, it sounds like the rebuilt option is BETTER than the new OEM in terms of performance of the shock (i.e.-lifting the trunk for your almost)....is this correct?

Yes they are stronger than the new struts(long term that is an advantage) but it is up to an individual owner.
Cheers,
Frank.

frank irvine said:

Yes they are stronger than the new struts(long term that is an advantage) but it is up to an individual owner.
Cheers,
Frank.
Coincidentally I just checked these out on randomharmony's car yesterday - those things are solid! You can park the hood at any angle and it will stay put - excellent service, I'll need to get mine done sometime - hatch anyway, I had replaced the trunk units when I first got the car, before I knew about this. Heck I may even get those done too!

I sent all 4 of my lift struts over to Frank. As it turns out glass strut was too damaged for repair, so Frank sold me a new one for $80US, so I spent a bit more than expected, no big deal. Took a bit longer to get them back, but understandable seeing how there were problems with one. The only complaint I do have is Frank sent me a new strut but it was Grey in colour, and the strut body a bit longer than the original OEM :rolleyes: (Could be from a new models NSX?). No big deal really, and nothing some black satin paint couldn't fix, and I really don't think anyone is going to notice one is slightly long than the other? They are way stronger than stock, the trunk struts are so strong it hold the trunk up approx 2.5inches from being closed. :smile:

Back