• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Light Wheels...

Hello members,
what are the lightest possible rims out there that as close to stock 16/17 setup as possible?. I apologize if this topic has been brought up before.

Thanks

Originally posted by Xcite50:
what are the lightest possible rims out there that as close to stock 16/17 setup as possible?.

I don't know which are the lightest possible, but the stock '94-01 wheels are already very light, and will be lighter than most aftermarket wheels. The stock '94-01 front 16" wheel weighs 16.75 pounds and the rear 17" weighs 20.85 pounds.

Originally posted by Xcite50:
Hello members,
what are the lightest possible rims out there that as close to stock 16/17 setup as possible?. I apologize if this topic has been brought up before.

Thanks

I believe the OZ Superleggera 17/18 are close/lighter then the STOCK 16/17.

The Volk TE37, very light. Mugen MF-10 is made for the NSX and lighter still. You can see a picture of my set on the Science of Speed web under aero parts, GT500 hood. Mine is the red one. Dan

I am not sure but *I believe* the lightest wheels that are 16 x 17, have the stock NSX offset, take the stock lugs, and accept the stock tires are the Forgeline RS 2 piece wheels - like I have on my car.

The RS 16" are 17.2 pounds and the 17" are 18.75 pounds. So the fronts are a slightly hevier and the rears are slightly less - but the total is a couple pounds less then stock.

These are the same wheels on the CART NSX, the old Peter C. CompTech NSX, and most importantly Nick M.'s car in St. Louis!

BTW - if you like stock wheels - you can't go wrong and there always seems to be some for sale on this forum.

Good luck!

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

There are very few lighter that fit an NSX than the Volk TE37. 16x7 is about 11.5 pounds. That's light!

There are many sites with lists of wheel weights out there if you look a little. What's always surprising is how heavy many of the expensive name-brand wheels are.

Don't forget the SSR type-c,check tire rack for exact weight but the ssr 17 is lighter than the stock 17.

The oem 16/17 cannot be considered light. It's average in weight if you want to stretch it. I think tunapie hit it right on!

Thanks for all the replies,

as little torque as the NSX has, I don't want to lose more by putting on heavier wheels. I love this forum, great and very informative members
smile.gif

Thanks

I changed to the Volk TE37 in stock 16/17 fitment for exactly the same reason that you are changing. The Volk in 16 x 7 weighs 11 lbs and in the 17 x 8.5 weighs 15 lbs compared to stock at 16.75 and 20.85, a significant weight reduction. You will have a very difficult time finding lower weight than the Volk TE 37. Possibly the Mugen but I can't think of any other.

Originally posted by The DON:
The oem 16/17 cannot be considered light. It's average in weight if you want to stretch it.

No, they're actually very light. Remember, this topic is about which wheels are lighter than stock. All the many, many, many aftermarket wheels that are heavier than stock aren't even mentioned here.

If you're straying from stock, don't forget the weight of the tires too.

Since the tire is located at a greater radius, rotational mass of the tire can be as significant as the wheels.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

wildrice said:
I changed to the Volk TE37 in stock 16/17 fitment for exactly the same reason that you are changing. The Volk in 16 x 7 weighs 11 lbs and in the 17 x 8.5 weighs 15 lbs compared to stock at 16.75 and 20.85, a significant weight reduction. You will have a very difficult time finding lower weight than the Volk TE 37. Possibly the Mugen but I can't think of any other.

can you post some pics of your car w/ the te37's in stock sizes, or email them to me at [email protected]
thanks!!!

Randy

ac011 said:
OZ Superleggera 17x7 15.4 lbs
OZ Superleggera 18x8 17.6 lbs

[This message has been edited by ac011 (edited 29 March 2003).]
is anyone here running these 17,18 OZ Superleggera with a big brake kit and if so which brake kit and are these offsets correct 38+ 44+ ? if these offsets are incorrect what are the correct ones and are they available in 17x8 18x9 ? or whats posted above only.
thanks in advance
David

Does anyone know just how much difference it makes if your wheels are a couple of pounds heavier or lighter in terms of acceleration. And wouldn't wheels in 17" let you accelerate faster than same weight wheels in 18" anyway ??

Back