• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Lightweight battery, odyssey, braille, etc. Information:

Some interesting information/products here:

http://www.voltphreaks.com/products_street.php

VPH750 (5.25 lbs) and VPH900 (6.75 lbs) look quite good... but would like to see more information on real world (street use)... and they are pricey (999.00$ to 1,199.00$):eek:

Yeah, most are around $1200-2000. It's ridiculous.

The one I just bought is $335. A typical odyssey or even an Acura battery is around $150 anyway. So for another $180 I have a full lithium battery with no acid that can mount any way and is more environmental. I have done a fair amount of research on this one. The lotus guys have used it with no issues. I think it will work just fine. I also bought a quick disconnect. This is good for both track applications in case of an accident, and also good for when I store the car over the winter. These batteries will maintain 90% of charge over a year if the is no load on them. That means I disconnect over the winter and it is at full charge. They also recharge within minutes, not hours. This thing is so small I may be able to relocate it and use that space for something else (which I already have) .

- - - Updated - - -

It has a higher Ah rating than the odyssey 925. It has a carbon shell, is 4.96 pounds. BOOYAH!!! lol... Lets hope it works out ok.

- - - Updated - - -

5d796afb83aba39215ace264818e512a_zps655b3ae5.jpg

Last edited:
Really? Can I buy a bracket from him? How did he manage the posts?

Ryu I bought the biggest one. Which one is he using? How come no one talked about these before? I realize they as newer but man I have been looking for this for a long time!

Last edited:
I have had he Shorei in the car for over a year now and absolutely zero problems, i do have to keep it on trickle charge if i dont use the car for a week or so. They come with their own trickle charger that you can leave on the battery as it attaches through its own socket bit like a usb

There are a lot of things that don't occur on prime :)

That's too bad because if it's NSX related there is no reason for it not occur on prime.:wink:

I have had he Shorei in the car for over a year now and absolutely zero problems, i do have to keep it on trickle charge if i dont use the car for a week or so. They come with their own trickle charger that you can leave on the battery as it attaches through its own socket bit like a usb

Scammy how did you handle the posts? And how did you secure it?

Regan, thanks for the kind words and the heads up!

My buddy and I operate a small machine shop and we are in the middle of creating a machined 6061 aluminum battery tray for the 36AH Shorai batteries. The entire setup right now weighs less than 7 pounds with the battery. Right now it only fits the NA1, and uses the stock mounting points with no modification necessary. No drilling, straight bolt in affair.

Here is a pic of the prototype that is in my car right now:
8622186406_d38bfe9395_b.jpg

The final product will be sleeker looking and will be anodized black.

Looking to release a final product sometime next month. We are doing strength testing of the tray and real-world performance testing of the battery. It's an incredible battery and is living up to the hype. Right now I can let the car sit for 10 days without any tender, and it'll start up just fine.

Sorry I've been a bit secretive about it, I didn't want to run into any issues with me not being a vendor. I plan to become a Prime vendor and have a group buy once we have a final product. Retail pricing will be ~500 for the package of battery, tray, and mounting hardware.

I'm also an authorized Shorai battery dealer so let me know if you want any batteries. I'll beat anything advertised. We don't stock them, but have access to their dealer pricing.

TURBO2GO: I'm using Odyssey posts in the configuration shown in the pic. PM me your address, I'll send you a set of posts. Did you get the Shorai charger? Let me know if you want to get one, it's worth it to have one IMO.

Colin

Last edited:
Be careful with the lithium batteries. They can explode, potentially damaging the car or even catching on fire. I should know, since I had an original Voltphreak battery that did explode on me. I am just glad that it didn't cause a fire, since I was at work when it happened.

Yeah... do you really want to turn your NSX into a 787 Dreamliner to save a couple of pounds?

Phrixys, I already bought a set of odyssey posts. I was hoping they would fit and it looks like they will. Thanks for the offer.

If I may give some constrictive criticism.... Although that billet mount looks great, it looks like overkill. That heavy duty of a unit is good to hold down a 35 pound battery not a 4.9 pound one. If you are close to 7 pounds, around 2 pounds of aluminum is coming from the mount. Can't it be made simpler and thinner?

Phrixys, I already bought a set of odyssey posts. I was hoping they would fit and it looks like they will. Thanks for the offer.

If I may give some constrictive criticism.... Although that billet mount looks great, it looks like overkill. That heavy duty of a unit is good to hold down a 35 pound battery not a 4.9 pound one. If you are close to 7 pounds, around 2 pounds of aluminum is coming from the mount. Can't it be made simpler and thinner?

Constructive criticism is always welcome!

2 pounds is how much the stock tray stuff weighs, which includes the plastic battery box, the 2 J hooks and the top bar. So your net is still only 5 pounds. Also, 7 pounds is the installed weight which also includes the Odyssey posts and stainless steel mounting hardware. I will also most likely be offering a titanium mounting hardware option.

And I don't think it's overkill because we need to engineer something like this to be very strong. Imagine a battery in a crash situation. We need to make sure it stays put and doesn't go flying through your bumper. Also, we've incorporated weight savings where you can't see, because that's the style I'm personally into. The standoffs and top bar are pocketed which gives them an unusually light feel despite the heft that they appear to have.

8639844844_155be93566_b.jpg

Last edited:
Scammy is that housing from shorai? How much was it?

Phryxis, why wouldn't that mount fit my car? What is the difference between a mount for NA1 and NA2? I thought all NSX's were the same there. When and how much? I need one like yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and why anodized black? Why not just polish that aluminum?

- - - Updated - - -

Phryxis, if you want to make a kit, IMO it should include a modified version of this to protect this rather expensive battery:

c3cd7cc40e8c6a8644bb6a70a2c18e82_zps92896722.jpg

This will cut power off below a certain voltage automatically and then as soon as it sees a load like lights or brakes, something YOU DO, it immediately reconnects. But that threshold is set to 11.7 volts, and is good for lead acid batteries. When the shorai hits 11.7, it is essentially at under 10% and dead. I need this item with a higher threshold. That would would perfect and a nice addition to this battery.

I made a cardboard mockup of what i wanted, the battery comes with a bunch of foam packers for fitting it into larger battery boxes as it is substantially smaller than the stock car batteries.
So i made the mockup big enough to fit the foam packing around the battery so it would be easier to remove and made it tall enough so it will not jump out, then i took it to a mate who has a steel fabrication shop and said make this and powdercoat it black then put one of the stickers that came with it and put it on so it sort of looks factory, also by putting the foam packers around it, it has enabled me to put some hooks in there to put a top plate on top to hold it down as you can see i have cable tied it down at first to make sure it works. Although i do like the nice one shown above so might do that for the top unless they want to sell that seperately.

Last edited:
Update:

I am 28 pounds lighter:

ab010c0ec8f93ceea13c4cbf3c1527e7_zps82f098c2.jpg

ab010c0ec8f93ceea13c4cbf3c1527e7_zps82f098c2.jpg

13081049-425C-48A5-8A57-79A9F4FC7D4C-1442-000001C33BD21E51_zpsed1bda83.jpg

Last edited:

Phryxis, why wouldn't that mount fit my car? What is the difference between a mount for NA1 and NA2? I thought all NSX's were the same there. When and how much? I need one like yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and why anodized black? Why not just polish that aluminum?

- - - Updated - - -

Phryxis, if you want to make a kit, IMO it should include a modified version of this to protect this rather expensive battery:

c3cd7cc40e8c6a8644bb6a70a2c18e82_zps92896722.jpg

This will cut power off below a certain voltage automatically and then as soon as it sees a load like lights or brakes, something YOU DO, it immediately reconnects. But that threshold is set to 11.7 volts, and is good for lead acid batteries. When the shorai hits 11.7, it is essentially at under 10% and dead. I need this item with a higher threshold. That would would perfect and a nice addition to this battery.

That's a really interesting cutoff device. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to create a unit that would do that, but it is out of my scope of know-how.

I agree. I like the way it looks now. It looks sort of polished, even without any additional polishing.

I suppose we could have an un-anodized option, but we're definitely concerned about corrosion over time.

OK, I am VERY intrigued by this! Phryxis, count me in when the production model is done.

OK, I am VERY intrigued by this! Phryxis, count me in when the production model is done.

Awesome, sounds good! Thanks for the enthusiasm, I've had this idea in my head for a long time now, and it's great finally being on the verge of release.

How about for maybe 2 weeks?

2 weeks certainly is pushing it. I definitely need to test it out, but to be totally honest, I'm finding it very difficult to not drive the car for 2 weeks :) But it's definitely a necessary metric!

The Shorai battery, and the other ideas here, are very promising.
Has anyone actually measured the drain current when the car is off?

No, but the Shorei wont stay charged for much more than a week without the tender so get that.

Back