• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a battery tender for winter

During the search of finding a battery tender for this winter, I came across this page: 3 http://www.batteryweb.com/batterymindercomparison.cfm
Does anyone have any opinions on these two brands, Battery Minder vs. Battery Tender? Also, what's the difference between the Tender and Tender Jr?

I am leaning towards the Battery Minder because it can do multiple vehicle batteries (are there any cons to this?)

Thanks,
Kenric

[This message has been edited by Ag NSX (edited 16 November 2001).]

For the past ten winters, I've been using an on-board charger from Schumacher. The advantage is that, since it's mounted on the car, it has a power cord that can be plugged in anywhere - your garage, at work, whatever.

It's also the kind that monitors the voltage and recharges only when it drops below a certain point.

I am using the 1.5 Amp Fully Automatic Onboard Maintainer/Charger, Item Number SE-1-12S, manufactured by Schumacher Electric Corporation. You can order it direct from their website for $32.99. I have no financial interest and am just a satisfied user yadda yadda yadda...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 13 November 2001).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
For the past ten winters, I've been using an on-board charger from Schumacher. The advantage is that, since it's mounted on the car, it has a power cord that can be plugged in anywhere - your garage, at work, whatever.

It's also the kind that monitors the voltage and recharges only when it drops below a certain point.

I am using the 1.5 Amp Fully Automatic Onboard Maintainer/Charger, Item Number SE-1-12S, manufactured by Schumacher Electric Corporation. You can order it direct from their website for $32.99. I have no financial interest and am just a satisfied user yadda yadda yadda...

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 13 November 2001).]
I believe I saw the same one for $29.99 at local autoshop.
smile.gif

Just a follow-up. I ordered 3 12V Battery Tender Plus's from an online Motorcycle Store for $34 each. They just arrived today. I had forgotten about them, and this thread because the weather was so nice! Will let you all know how they work out.

Kenric

I've been using Battery Tender for the last 5 years on my bikes, lawn tractor and my Vettes(first winter with an NSX). Never had a battery fail.

I use to trickle charge my bike batteries, but I would get lazy and end up killing one nearly every winter. The Batter Tenders work great for me.

Ken, you leave yours on the NSX permanently right? The Battery Tender comes with a alligator clip attachment and a round washer type attachment. I'm probably use the washer type one and just screw in onto the battery terminals like you did. Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm afraid of the alligator clips coming off or something, like during a mid-winter earthquake?
smile.gif

The Schumacher charger is small and is designed to be bolted down next to the battery. I forget what kind of connector goes onto the battery posts but it's not alligator clips.

I believe the Battery Tender brand charger is not designed to be permanently installed on the car (hence the alligator clips, to make it easy to remove and to be used on multiple cars).

Each has its advantages. I like the Schumacher charger because I can use it anywhere (like if the NSX sits somewhere else, the charger is always with it). If you have more than one car that might sit for extended periods, and you don't want to buy a charger for each car, the Battery Tender might suit your purposes better. (But I agree with you, alligator clips don't give me a great sense of comfort.)

Will this work? My lighter socket isn't powered unless the ignition is on (at least to "I"). If it's not active, then you can't charge via that connection point.

Hugo

I don't know mine is on order,I had asked the same question on this forum and never got a reply,so I ordered it anyway.

Finally decided to store the NSXs since its really cold now. I know I should have done this before it was 10 degrees outside but... Do I need to remove the spare to get to the battery terminals? I'm tempted to use the alligator clips on the rear hatch jumper points, would this be OK?

Kenric

Back