• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Shorai Battery and CNC Machined Battery Tray Package - 7 pound setup - Direct bolt on

I've had mines since the initial group buy and have to say I've had absolutely no problems. Couple times I accidentally let the battery drain (left door open), jumped it like any normal battery and let the alternator charge it right back up.

I powder-coated the aluminum tray underneath and got new battery connectors and cables while doing the install.

Definitely an upgrade worth considering if anyone is on the fence about it.

View attachment 120350

Nice!

Sounds like a great upgrade! I have an upgrade aftermarket stereo system, DD headunit, Amp, components, subwoofer and wondering would this battery handle the system??? I'm also installing an Umbrella VRH Lift Kit too. Is this too much for this Shorai battery???

Hi Colin,

I know the group buy is long gone for the NSX
Can you tell me if this setup is still available for a NA2 (2003) NSX.

Thanks
Richard Wong

I still have mine - one of the first to buy I think. Seems to be working well.
Ran it too far down this fall and it seemed to charge right back up - I bought the charger for the battery.
I haven't had a chance to test how long it will maintain the NSX discharge rate when not use lately.
Last check was > 19 days if I recall correctly.
I will try this as soon as I can get back to my car (off site garage)

Colin was very helpful as this was coming out - hope he speaks up here.

I have had the setup for at least a year now. A couple of times I did not immediately hook up the Shorai trickle charger. After several days off I noticed that it took probably half an hour before the system was working as I normally experienced. Typically I would set it to storage. In this particular setup if the battery is fully charged the unit will bleed off some of the charge to a point where it will maintain that level. I would typically see both lights on and I could choose what I wanted (say the storage function) and that light would then start to blink (while the other lite on the right side would turn off). When I allowed the battery to run down several days, the charger would not immediately give me the storage function. It almost seemed like the battery first needed to be stabilized? After an hour or two the storage cycle would then work. So I try and not forget to hook up as soon as I park the car. I have a number of items on the car that draw juice while it is sitting thus the need to keep it on trickle type charger. Otherwise this is a great battery and easily starts my Comptech Supercharged engine.
Manny

Just wanted to give an update after 2.5 years or 30 months my Shorai has finally died. During that time I was careful to keep it on the Shorai charger, if I was to not use the car for more than 2 weeks, which was mainly during the winter. I am the type of user that drives my car almost everyday during the spring, summer, and fall so during that time I did not have to charge my battery and it worked just fine with starting my car up everytime. I have to say this has surprisingly been a great battery. From my past experience most batteries I've used in any of my previous vehicles have never lasted more than 3 to 3.5 years so 2.5 years is not bad at all (considering the cost and weight difference) imo.

I am not sure if it could of lasted longer. I was able to start it up last weekend with no sign of hesitation but I didn't check to see if the charger set itself off when I did that. So now I'm wondering if I made a mistake by not setting the charger back in store more after my start up. Either way I say if you are someone like me who uses there NSX regularly this would be a great buy.

Just wanted to give an update after 2.5 years or 30 months my Shorai has finally died. During that time I was careful to keep it on the Shorai charger, if I was to not use the car for more than 2 weeks, which was mainly during the winter. I am the type of user that drives my car almost everyday during the spring, summer, and fall so during that time I did not have to charge my battery and it worked just fine with starting my car up everytime. I have to say this has surprisingly been a great battery. From my past experience most batteries I've used in any of my previous vehicles have never lasted more than 3 to 3.5 years so 2.5 years is not bad at all (considering the cost and weight difference) imo.

I am not sure if it could of lasted longer. I was able to start it up last weekend with no sign of hesitation but I didn't check to see if the charger set itself off when I did that. So now I'm wondering if I made a mistake by not setting the charger back in store more after my start up. Either way I say if you are someone like me who uses there NSX regularly this would be a great buy.
Similar experience to me, what I have found if you do not set the charger correctly you may think its on trickle but its not as the sequence to set it is very important. I did ruin one of these batteries by not checking to see if it was in fact working when I thought it was. If I am not using my car for a while I just disconnect it entirely to be safe and it holds its charge

Below was sent to me by Shorai. It brought mine back from the dead or what I thought was dead.:wink:

Section #1 is a Recovery Guide designed for use with your Shorai Charger.

#1 - BATTERY RECOVERY WITH THE SHO-BMS01

Shorai SHO-BMS01: Charging A Deeply Discharged Battery
A volt meter will greatly help you in this recovery process. All voltage readings are for 12V batteries, please halve for 6V batteries. **The Shorai charger does NOT automatically go into Store Mode after fully charging. You must place it into Store mode and hear a triple beep in order for it to keep it at a constant 13.35V

Alternating Green and Yellow Lights (Below 50% Charge)
The green and Yellow lights will flash alternately (back and forth) if your battery is less than 50% charged (~13.116V). In order to fully charge your battery at this point, please follow these instructions:

1. Make sure that all cables are connected correctly to your Shorai battery.
2. If the charger lights are already on, proceed to Step 3. If not, press Charge to wake up the charger. The lights should turn on and beep.
3. Press the STORE button momentarily (do not hold down) and listen for the triple beep to indicate the charger is active and it is in the mode you selected. The triple beep is the key indicator of any successful mode selection.
4. The lights will continue to flash alternately until the battery reaches above 50% charge (13.116V).
5. The yellow light will then begin blinking until you reach ~13.35V, after which it will turn solid yellow. This may take up to 24 hours depending upon how discharged your battery was. Keeping it in STORE MODE will also allow your battery to balance overnight.
6. STORE MODE (solid yellow light) will maintain/float the battery at approximately 13.35V
7. When you are ready to fully charge your battery, press the Store Button to cancel the mode. Then press the CHARGE button momentarily and listen for the triple beep. The Green light will then begin to flash. It may take up to 30 minutes for the battery to reach full capacity, approximately 14.4V. It will change to a solid green once it reaches ~14.4V. Newer chargers will turn off within 30 seconds of reaching full charge. Please promptly remove the battery from the charger if you do not intend to place it back into STORE MODE to avoid any a draining of your battery.
8. How long will it take? Smaller capacity batteries may reach their full capacity within 15 minutes. Larger capacity batteries may take up to 30 minutes. However, batteries in good health, can take as little as 5-10 minutes to fully charge from Store mode.

Error Code (Lights Flashing Simultaneously With Alarm)

• 2 Flashes, Pause, repeat: Polarity Error (rare). Return the battery and possibly the charger to Shorai.
  • 3 Flashes, Pause, repeat:
    • If this is a Case #3 (LFX24, 27 or 36) and you are using your battery for the first time, be sure that the Series Bar is installed.
    • Determine that the cables are hooked up correctly. If they are, they may be worn.
    • Check to see if all 5 pins are present in the battery charging port. If not, the battery is unrecoverable and cannot be repaired.
    • Check another outlet as well.
  • 4 Flashes, Pause, repeat: There may be a High Cell Variation. Some cells' voltages may be high, while some may be low. High Cell Variations may give you a normal voltage reading (your battery may, in fact, have ~14.4V but most of it will be in one or two of the cells, and very little in the other two. This will result in a faster discharge as the cells are designed to hold 3.6V each and will discharge faster to reach this ceiling. Cell imbalances can occur from using an incorrect charger, jumping the battery, sitting unused for long periods, or your regulator may be faulty.
How To Recover From A 4-Flash Error
1. It is best to start with a full charge (14.4V) from your Shorai charger. However if the error code is still present, after charging you can start the bike a few times to discharge the battery so that the too-high cells can discharge. Be sure not to discharge below 12.86V
2. You would then use the 50% Charge (Alternating Lights) instructions above to slowly recharge the battery. Sometimes, you may have to repeat this process several and equalize times to correct very imbalanced cells.
3. Use a 3-stage cgarger (2A or less, no desulfation) for no more than 15 min for a superficial charge and then place on the Shorai charger in STORE mode. **The Shorai charger does NOT automatically go into Store Mode after fully charging. You must place it into Store mode and hear a triple beep in order for it to keep it at a constant 13.35V
Increasing Charge Density of a New Battery
Anything from 13.9 to 14.4V is common with the Shorai charger at first, but in the interim, for a new battery, the charge density can be increased so that it may reach its full capacity improve performance overall throughout its life (i.e. slower discharge rate).

You can increase your capacity to the full 14.4V by completing several charge cycles with the Shorai Charger. Press the charge button once, or until it triple beeps. It will begin charging the battery until it reaches ~14.4V and displays a solid green light indicating such (or turns off after 30 seconds if you have a charger with the firmware update, below). You can check with a voltmeter to determine after each charge cycle as to if you have reached 14.4V. Press Charge again. After it is finished charging this second time, you may press charge once more to complete increasing the charge density. Occasionally this can be done throughout the life of the battery to ensure that it is still reaching 14.4V. **Note: The LFX discharge rate is non-linear. It will discharge faster at first, but will then level off so do not be alarmed if you see it drop in voltage right away.

California-mandated Powersaving Mode was implemented in all charger firmware in units with serial numbers S040014C to present. This update causes the charger to turn off automatically if (A) No command is given within the allotted time of first turning the unit on. (B) After Charging is complete.

The Unit will not turn off automatically if the STORE mode was successfully initiated (triple beep). Your charger will continue to deliver voltage to your LFX battery to maintain the storage voltage at 13.3V. If you chose to use the Charge mode and the charge is complete, please remove the charger from the battery as soon as possible.

If your charger is “off”, one press of the CHARGE button will “wake up” the charger. You must press a command button again to initiate a mode. If you hear a triple beep you were successful in initiating the command. If you were to press it again, the charger would emit a single beep which indicates it is in the idle status and waiting for user input. If Your Charger Keeps Turning Off (even though you have heard that triple beep), your battery may be too low in voltage for the charger to recognize your battery. In this case you may possibly be able to recover the battery by placing it on a 2A or less charger for 15 minutes ONLY--enough to superficially charge the battery--then place the battery back on the Shorai charger in Store Mode. Repeat above instructions for a discharged battery.
Power Loss and Sag: Your charger will also turn itself back on if it detects a power loss or sag while it is either in Store more, or if it noted this sag before the battery could fully be charged in Charge mode. If you have an older electrical system in your building or are on a generator, you may notice the charger turn off and turn back on when in STORE MODE, or if the CHARGE MODE was incomplete.

Updated Shorai-BMS01 Installation Guide: https://system.netsuite.com/core/media/media.nl?id=4799&c=3379047&h=da117b98afdc728a1c0c&_xt=.pdf

Last edited:
Below was sent to me by Shorai. It brought mine back from the dead or what I thought was dead.:wink:

I need to say thanks LMR because it seems you are correct. Following this sequence vs following the instructions that came with the charger seems to have brought my battery back to life. Right now it's in step 5 where the yellow light is flashing but I already can see that I have interior lights again. Sweet! I wonder how much more life I got in this though since I know they do not like being discharged at all.

I already ordered another battery which will be here today but hey if this battery is good I'll just have the second as a back up until the day the old battery really dies.

I need to say thanks LMR because it seems you are correct. Following this sequence vs following the instructions that came with the charger seems to have brought my battery back to life. Right now it's in step 5 where the yellow light is flashing but I already can see that I have interior lights again. Sweet! I wonder how much more life I got in this though since I know they do not like being discharged at all.

I already ordered another battery which will be here today but hey if this battery is good I'll just have the second as a back up until the day the old battery really dies.

Glad I could help.:smile: I have had this setup since day one and I daily drive my NSX but was off work the last couple of weeks of the year and didn't drive the car and forgot to put it on the charger. When it didn't startI put it on the charger in charge mode but got the 4 flash error. Then tried in the store mode, same. I called Shorai and the girl there sent me the instructions. I had to do it a couple of times like the instuctions said you may have to do to bring it back to life if one or more cells is very imbalanced and it's been ok since.

Last edited:
Man I would love to get one of these, emailed the vendor on his regular website but I haven't gotten anything back either.

Same email I got, sometime this next week or so they will be doing a group buy. Don't know if it will be here on the forum or on Facebook. I'll keep trolling both if it pops up on FB as I know some don't use that social media platform.

I'm working with Lud to re-setup my vendor account! Thanks everyone for the interest, I will have the group buy up very soon. I will post up here and on the relevant FB groups.

Colin

Colin highly recommended to purchase the Shorai (same brand) battery tender. I am glad I got it because it is specific for the battery and the system is much more refine. I highly recommended the tender to prolong battery life.

PS Please get a rubber guard for your positive terminal. I heard another NSX caught fire from the terminal clamp slipping out.

Almost three years with mine and I think she is starting to go. If I was not going to drive the car for about 7 days I would stick it on the tender. Even at 5 - 7 days the car would start up. Now it seems after 3 days she struggles to start. Time to replace the battery I think.

Try doing what I did - add a battery cutout switch (you can get a nifty remotely operated one now which doubles as a security device) so when the car is sitting its not draining the battery. I'm very happy with that with the only downside of having to set the clock each time I drive...no biggie.

Back