• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Group Buy Shorai Battery and CNC Machined Battery Tray Package - 7 pound setup - Direct bolt on

Will you offereing a group buy again soon? I need to replace my battery and I like this idea.

We most likely won't be doing any more group buys, just because we want to transition into retail selling mode. That being said, with the discount code in the link I'll post in a second, it's discounted down to the group buy price, customers now just have to pay shipping (or tax if applicable).

Take a look at this thread for the latest info! http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-Tray-and-Shorai-Lithium-Iron-Battery-Package

After a LONG, COLD Winter up here in MN, I had the battery in the car but disconnected for the last 4 months. I connected it up, opened the door to bright door and dome lights, turned the key and it fired after a single revolution. Perfect in every way, an excellent addition (or was it a reduction?) to my car.

Thanks!

Hi all,

Do you think an accessory with a 10mA drain in sleep mode will have a measurable impact on startup "reliability"? I just got an OBDLink MX WiFi and am considering whether or not I can leave it plugged in all the time. For what it's worth, I don't drive the car often but when I do, it won't go more than a day between starts. Otherwise, it's on the Shorai charger in "storage" mode.

Hi all,

Do you think an accessory with a 10mA drain in sleep mode will have a measurable impact on startup "reliability"? I just got an OBDLink MX WiFi and am considering whether or not I can leave it plugged in all the time. For what it's worth, I don't drive the car often but when I do, it won't go more than a day between starts. Otherwise, it's on the Shorai charger in "storage" mode.

Doesn't the mx have auto shut off to prevent battery drain

Hit a bump on the freeway today and the speedo and tach started to bump around like crazy. The ABS light came on. A little bit of hesitation. "Awww man, the speed sensor took a dump."

Nursed it back home. Engine oil pressure, temp, and water temps were perfect. Checked Prime for speed sensor issues while the temp outside cooled down a bit (100 degrees outside) and had a cream soda.

Took a look underneath - no problems. Looked at the transfer case - meh, it looks okay. Go to order a speed sensor and decide to check the battery before I do. Lo and behold, the negative cable came loose from the terminal. Positive was fairly loose as well. Cables were screwed all the way down too. Hmph. Reinstall and car is perfect.

Can't use a janky maneuver and use a spacer so I look online for bigger diameter Shorai terminals and came across "battery terminal shims." Never even heard of those. Go to AutoZone after checking availability online. Apply some anticorrosion spray and waaalaaa, salvation!

So if you have the same issue with loose cable terminals on the battery terminals, this is your answer. $2.50 from AutoZone or whatever your fav auto parts store is.

d_connectors_conversion_adapters_battery-post-shims_3.png

In hindsight, I'd probably go this route if I had to do it again:

mE-KbMvNkHqY0yrc_s97sYQ.jpg

Hi all,

10ma = 0.010 amp - 1/100 of an amp - on a 500CCA battery - I wouldn't worry.
I said before - mine sat 19 days connected with no tender at ~ 35 degrees F and started.

10ma = 0.010 amp - 1/100 of an amp - on a 500CCA battery - I wouldn't worry.
I said before - mine sat 19 days connected with no tender at ~ 35 degrees F and started.

fair enough. I've had less luck with mine, and generally don't keep it past a week without throwing it on a trickle charger. But good point, thanks!

also, I believe the OBDLink MX WiFi has a low power "sleep" mode, but there's never a state where it draws 0A.

Interesting problem, Shawn.

The provided Odyssey terminals also have a bolt that can be inserted into the top of the terminals that will help keep the cables attached. To go one step further, you can add a larger washer to 100% prevent it from ever slipping off.

Interesting problem, Shawn.

The provided Odyssey terminals also have a bolt that can be inserted into the top of the terminals that will help keep the cables attached. To go one step further, you can add a larger washer to 100% prevent it from ever slipping off.

Yeah, that has never happened me before. I checked my other cars and trucks and there was one other loose set of cables on the terminals…it was on our MDX. I sincerely doubt Acura ('10) is mis-sizing their cables clamps but it's a weird issue to have. Put shims on that car too.

I'm going to check the Shorai box for the bolts that attach to the top of the terminals. Double redundancy, Shawney likey.

I left my car sit for a bit over 3 weeks and opened the door to find the courtesy light not on - not so good. I've had it sitting for that or longer last year and it was fine. I put the Battery Tender on it and it didn't respond, so I put on a standard 30A charger and it immediately started charging. Left it for 15 min and the car started right up and has been golden since. Weird, but I've always known the systems in the car that keep power active are a bit higher draw than they should be - I'll just need to keep the trickle on it if it stays stationary for a week or more.

How's everyone's battery holding up?

Mine has been on a trickle charger (Battery Tender) and has been fine except for the last month. It won't hold a charge and I've been forced to use my regular Acura battery. Don't know if it's the battery or the trickle charger but my advice would be to buy the Shorai specific charger to rule out an issue there.

I think everyone's car draws different amounts of power my battery lasts about a week so is always on trickle charge or I just disconnect it, I learnt the hard way by letting the Shorei go flat one too many times and it swelled and was useless. They do not like being discharged.
I also changed the ends of my cables so the Shorei bolts that come with the battery are used so no shims needed just an allen key or is it hex key in your country
However since learning that lesson two years ago I have had no more problems also installed the battery mount last week and nice job Colin thanks for that.

Mine is still holding up good, but I have been driving at least once a week.
I have not had it on a tender.
I will give it a test in a few weeks when I put into storage; let it sit 2 weeks and give it a try.
Mine held up ~ 18 or 19 days last fall in ~ 40 degree conditions - we'll see how it works this year.

I was wondering what is the dimensions of the battery.. height-width-length I know this is a old thread hopefully someone still looking lol

Also wondering Can the battery tray be sold by itself?

thanks guys

Last edited:
I have followed this thread for some time now and finally decided to go with the Shorai Battery, Shorai charger/tender with the CNC Machined Battery Tray Package. Colin was awesome and installed the system for me. I could not have asked for a better outcome. I was surprised with the power coming out of that small battery. The car starts immediately. I have daytime running lights, a powered rear view mirror with garage door opener, Comptech SC, as well as Sirius XM. Does not seem to be an issue for the Shorai Battery. I decided to get the charger/tender as the one I have has a sulfide phase and is not recommended for use with the Shorai. I like the fact that the Shorai charger/tender checks on the battery cells and makes sure they are balanced during charging. A great product and a great company supporting the NSX community.

Last edited:
Just curious. Might also be interesting for other overseas customers. sorry if I have overlooked the information but how about shipping to Europe. I read that shipping batteries is not allowed for Lithium based batteries so no way to buy it?

Bernhard

Is there a longer cable that will attach to the Shorai battery charger? I'd like to keep a permanent cable attached to the battery and run it close to the outside and that way just plug in the charger outside the car without having to open the hood.

View attachment 120210View attachment 120201Here are some photos I took of the new battery. The aluminum tray that hold the standard battery did not look that nice so I painted it a flat black. I think you can ship these batteries because they are not Li ion but Li iron and as I understand not prone to catching fire. When Colin handed me the battery inside the aluminum holder, I had a hard time imagining this as a battery for starting my car. However it did not have any trouble starting my Comptech SC engine. I really like how it looks. The old battery looks so primitive as well as really heavy.View attachment 120200

Last edited:
Love mine. I like the idea of painting or plastdipping the tray.

Just curious. Might also be interesting for other overseas customers. sorry if I have overlooked the information but how about shipping to Europe. I read that shipping batteries is not allowed for Lithium based batteries so no way to buy it?

Bernhard

I Would like to know the answer too!

Back