• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a boat

I am new to the boat thing, I grew up with them but never owned them. I was looking at a Fountain or something like that 27-33 footer power boat. The one I was looking at had about 1000 HP and did 90+. The questing I have is how bad are they to maintain and what problem do they have and can these kinda boats even pull a someone on a Ski? Also I am sure the gas sucks as well lol. Any help would be great.

I'll refer this thread to my buddy Captain Ted who knows quite a bit about boats. But just for the record, a 1000 HP boat capable of 90MPH could probably pull and entire NFL football team on waterskis. :)

As you can tell I dont know shit about boats :) I was going to get a fast car but I dont want the tickets, I dont need/want a bigger house but I want something to do on the weekends with friends so it's a boat :) Are the Fountain's a good boat? Any others I sould look at or any links that help me educate myself about them?

Thanks

Hugh said:
I'll refer this thread to my buddy Captain Ted who knows quite a bit about boats. But just for the record, a 1000 HP boat capable of 90MPH could probably pull and entire NFL football team on waterskis. :)

My dad said the same thing, I said "You know I was thinking about getting a boat. How do you like yours? "He said "It something to throw money at" lol

Shumdit said:
You know what the 2 happiest days are of a boat owner's life don't you?

The day he buys it and the day he sells it!

just buy yourself a nice ferrari, and save tons of money, tickets or not :smile:

but seriously, boating can be tons of fun.

a "sportscar" type boat will yes, be very fast... but not so comfortable or stable when the water gets rough.
Skiing behind a 30 foot boat with 1,000hp would be extremely dangerous if it's even possible.

My parents have the smallest Tiara, which is more mercedes than NSX.

I'd look at something more in the 20ft range for your first... easier (and safer) to dock and trailer, cheaper to insure, etc.

In Maryland, if your birthdate is after 1976, you'll need a license... not sure about GA though, might check into that too!

Ya, I am just trying to think of things I can do with friends that get me outa the house and away from this TV. :)

0ctan3 said:
just buy yourself a nice ferrari, and save tons of money, tickets or not :smile:

but seriously, boating can be tons of fun.

a "sportscar" type boat will yes, be very fast... but not so comfortable or stable when the water gets rough.
Skiing behind a 30 foot boat with 1,000hp would be extremely dangerous if it's even possible.

My parents have the smallest Tiara, which is more mercedes than NSX.

I'd look at something more in the 20ft range for your first... easier (and safer) to dock and trailer, cheaper to insure, etc.

In Maryland, if your birthdate is after 1976, you'll need a license... not sure about GA though, might check into that too!

Ryanmcd2 said:
Ya, I am just trying to think of things I can do with friends that get me outa the house and away from this TV. :)

How about golf. It's a lot cheaper than boating. :biggrin: Also where are going to use it, Lake Lanier? If so, a go fast boat is probably overkill.

I have always wanted a Fountain 38 or 42' boat. Is there a rule of thumb of how much boat you need. The lakes around the Phoenix metro are okay in size but not huge lakes.... What forums are good to go to for boats???

blackcat said:
I have always wanted a Fountain 38 or 42' boat. Is there a rule of thumb of how much boat you need...

There's no rule, it's just how big and fast of a boat do you want?? It all boils down to how much discretionary income you can throw into the bottomless pit. :biggrin:

Alltuna, I am up in Kennesaw so it's close

DocL said:
How about golf. It's a lot cheaper than boating. :biggrin: Also where are going to use it, Lake Lanier? If so, a go fast boat is probably overkill.

lol, okay maybe the boat is a bad idea. I have 100k and want to have fun what do I do? Get 10 hookers a day for a year and all the beer I can drink? A car? I dont want a bigger house because having 3000sq feet for 1 is retarded.

steveny said:
there is only one digference between owning a boat and standing in a shower cutting up $100 dollar bills. In the shower you actually get wet.

Just sold my boat last weekend.

I have owned several boats and all of them were fun and costly.

I really like this boat for a all around fun boat. It is my favorite so far
http://performanceboatsales.com/Usedboats/1695crown26LTD.htm

Ryanmcd2 said:
lol, okay maybe the boat is a bad idea. I have 100k and want to have fun what do I do? Get 10 hookers a day for a year and all the beer I can drink? A car? I dont want a bigger house because having 3000sq feet for 1 is retarded.

True fun comes from making yourself and those around you happy. THAT BEING SAID...Now mail me a check for 50k and we both will be smiling for a while. After the happines wears off feel free to continue mailing me checks as often as you wish. I will send a thank you card when each check arrives.:biggrin:

steveny said:
True fun comes from making yourself and those around you happy. THAT BEING SAID...Now mail me a check for 50k and we both will be smiling for a while. After the happines wears off feel free to continue mailing me checks as often as you wish. I will send a thank you card when each check arrives.:biggrin:

I'll be your friend if you will send me $100.00 wk. No thank you card in return though.

Donzi 35 ZR, 28 ZX, or a Howard 28 Bullet. It kinda depends on what you're after, balls-out peformance or a bit more towards cruising. I've owned a Donzi before, and they're great boats.

I do most of my own maintenance, so one of the first things I look for is engine bay detail. I like to see that wiring is properly loomed and tagged, and that access to fluid locations is easy to get to. Another place to check is the deck to hull joints, making sure there are no gaps or rough areas of fiberglass. If you're buying a used boat, especially a go-fast, check the hull underneath the engine compartment. Some will display cracking in the gelcoat along the strakes, which could be an indication the boat has been beat.

Oh man, I could go on and on... :rolleyes:

I just want to know where you can get 10 hookers a day for a year for 100K (nevermind all the beer I could drink!!!) That's $27.40 per hooker per day... Thailand maybe..........

For 100K, for you and your friends to have fun.... build a big ass outdoor theater with an inground pool and outdoor bar/grille from CalSpa if your current house allows it. Party central!!
A boat is a complete waste of money. You'll dump hundreds into the gas tank every time you go out, you won't go out nearly as much as you expect, mooring fees, cleaning, off season storage... unless you live on it, I'd just call it a day. My old boss had a 46' Prout catamaran, but... he lived on it... still does, down in Florida now. It was a $400K boat he got for $250K if I recall correctly, and to me that's STILL a waste of money :). His wife got the house and the kids, he got the boat, sailed off into the sunset and went from being the CEO of a $20,000,000/year tech company to being a boat tour captain, but damn, he loves that boat.

I have always found that no matter how big a boat looks on land it will anyway look small in the water. If you have not spent alot of time piloting a boat I hope you will take a approved boating coarse and spend time learning the waters where you plan to spend time in. I have found that boating can be costly and dangerious when not properly trained and experienced at it. It almost cost me my life so take it from someone who knows the dangers of the water.

Ya, I may find someone who has a nice boat and just buy gas lol. The home thing maybe fun and I can write it off kinda or at least not take a beating like a car/boat/plane :)

robr said:
I just want to know where you can get 10 hookers a day for a year for 100K (nevermind all the beer I could drink!!!) That's $27.40 per hooker per day... Thailand maybe..........

For 100K, for you and your friends to have fun.... build a big ass outdoor theater with an inground pool and outdoor bar/grille from CalSpa if your current house allows it. Party central!!
A boat is a complete waste of money. You'll dump hundreds into the gas tank every time you go out, you won't go out nearly as much as you expect, mooring fees, cleaning, off season storage... unless you live on it, I'd just call it a day. My old boss had a 46' Prout catamaran, but... he lived on it... still does, down in Florida now. It was a $400K boat he got for $250K if I recall correctly, and to me that's STILL a waste of money :). His wife got the house and the kids, he got the boat, sailed off into the sunset and went from being the CEO of a $20,000,000/year tech company to being a boat tour captain, but damn, he loves that boat.

I have been in boats for about 20 years just never owned one. I guess it's like the jackasses that get a 900CC bike and drive home in flip flops lol

Acura NsX Pilot said:
I have always found that no matter how big a boat looks on land it will anyway look small in the water. If you have not spent alot of time piloting a boat I hope you will take a approved boating coarse and spend time learning the waters where you plan to spend time in. I have found that boating can be costly and dangerious when not properly trained and experienced at it. It almost cost me my life so take it from someone who knows the dangers of the water.

Go get the fastest Pesonal Watercraft (PWC) and have a ball. Honda makes one of the best. They are like riding a motorcycle on the water. No roads and no speed limits - what could be better than that. I have a Yamaha 140 HP 4 cylinder that is a blast.

this is probably the best information/advice you have received so far. Spend $12,000 on the PWC and send me $12,000. We will both be extremely happy!:smile:

Ya sounds like the least headach of them all. I will look into it more before I do anything major.

NSX-Wes said:
Go get the fastest Pesonal Watercraft (PWC) and have a ball. Honda makes one of the best. They are like riding a motorcycle on the water. No roads and no speed limits - what could be better than that. I have a Yamaha 140 HP 4 cylinder that is a blast.

this is probably the best information/advice you have received so far. Spend $12,000 on the PWC and send me $12,000. We will both be extremely happy!:smile:

Back