• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Looking for a LED kit like this.. Anyone got one?

Like Happa88 I too would be interested in a uniform LED light bar like on those Audi's. I could live with the individual LED look, but given a choice I'd take the more OEM new Audi bar style.

Just to throw my 2 cents in - It is really easy to fabricate such an item, but you need a high quality LED and high quality acrylic rod. I recommend lumiled superflux LEDs as they are extremely bright and can be seen during the daytime. For example, on my LED tails, I PWM superfluxes at only 2% duty for marker lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9mgulVWSA0

When you see the individual LEDs on my tails, that's because I hadn't yet put on the lenses. When installed the covers are just far enough from the LEDs that the whole setup looks essentially homogenous. As far as the headlights, you can heat up the acrylic rod to shape it, and there are a million ways to rough up the surface to make the lighting homogenous (like sanding, sand blasting, etc...) You also need to sit the LED as far as possible from the bulb in your headlights, as the heat can and will significantly decrease the life of your LEDs.

Last edited:
Just to throw my 2 cents in - It is really easy to fabricate such an item, but you need a high quality LED and high quality acrylic rod. I recommend lumiled superflux LEDs as they are extremely bright and can be seen during the daytime. For example, on my LED tails, I PWM superfluxes at only 2% duty for marker lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9mgulVWSA0

When you see the individual LEDs on my tails, that's because I hadn't yet put on the lenses. When installed the covers are just far enough from the LEDs that the whole setup looks essentially homogenous. As far as the headlights, you can heat up the acrylic rod to shape it, and there are a million ways to rough up the surface to make the lighting homogenous (like sanding, sand blasting, etc...) You also need to sit the LED as far as possible from the bulb in your headlights, as the heat can and will significantly decrease the life of your LEDs.

I watched your full vid and really enjoyed the humor and creativity in the LED craftsmanship. I don't think any NSX owners would go for this but watching the video gave me fond memories of my DSM days (had 3 Eclipse's in my h.s. days)

Your rear LED setup reminded me of Knight Rider but on the back end with that sweeping setup. I built a similar LED setup for the front of my 91 GSX using a Piano metronome.

cheers
rick

read more here:
http://www.crzforum.com/forum/do-yourself-articles/5955-project-led-ma-headlight.html

this is the look you want op right?

5774311474_a59e903904_b.jpg

yes!!!

crz one is dope

I watched your full vid and really enjoyed the humor and creativity in the LED craftsmanship. I don't think any NSX owners would go for this but watching the video gave me fond memories of my DSM days (had 3 Eclipse's in my h.s. days)

Thanks! But I wasn't suggesting that anyone here do the tails, I'm showing proof of concept that superflux LEDs work very well. If you want something to look professional, being able to get voltage match/color matched LEDs is essential, and Lumiled provides that. I think the LEDs-in-the-headlight trend is kinda getting old and it's just not quite my thing, but if you are going to do it, do it right. The EL wire that some people try to use isn't really bright enough to use during the day. The lambo that someone linked to looked like it was made with EL film! That's crazy.

As far as NSX owners going for my tails - You know the only time I spoke to an NSX owner is right after I parked my car at (the now defunct) autobacs in SoCal. He stopped me and asked if I could make those LED tails for him, as the NSX tails span the rear like 2g Eclipses. He said he knew a bunch of other NSX guys that would go wild over them. Anyways I said it would be way too much work as I was busy with other things. He gave me his contact info and said he's a well known member of a NSX forum (maybe this one? I don't know how many NSX forums are out there.)

Anyways, good luck with your projects! I was really just here to read up on Mac Attack's efforts to replicate the LFA exhaust mechanism. But I love lighting projects, so thought I'd add some input.

Those are VERY nice lights I admit - but good luck finding a set specifically made for an NSX. The mfr. costs to make something like that is very expensive and the molds would be $$$. How much are they selling those Porsche lights for?

You would have to sell like 1000+ sets to recoup your money and the cost has to be within a reasonable cost for people to buy them. The NSX is such a low volume car to begin with it's hard to justify making these. We were at SEMA talking to some overseas manufacturers about custom lights for the s2000 (a much larger volume car than the NSX) and few if any have even heard of the s2000 or willing to tool up unless we buy like 500+ sets and commit to another 500. Domestic mfr. costs are just too high to have these build sadly.

But hey, we can all dream :)

On the plus side we did have a PRIME Member send us his NA1 lenses and we're trying to build an integrated high output LED DRL inside the bumper lenses for a clean look similar to what was posted above (minus the solid LED line)

Last edited:
On the plus side we did have a PRIME Member send us his NA1 lenses and we're trying to build an integrated high output LED DRL inside the bumper lenses for a clean look similar to what was posted above (minus the solid LED line)
Fingers crossed this turns out well. I believe there is demand for such a product if someone manage to get it right. Those lamps beg to be LED converted, but I have only seen one custom set that actually had LEDs all the way out to the edges.

New Audi A4
MMmMm soo clean
Audi-A4-2121111373221600x1060.jpg

Chrysler 200, but not quite bright enough..
wpid-ch011_002tw.jpg

Last edited:
I agree, if this was available many would chose this option, when im driving and I see a bmw 750li I usualy pull along side and drive next to the tail lights just to stare at them, thinking "man those look nice" but would look so much better on the NSX:biggrin:

Back