• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Low cost daily driver advice

OK, I certainly would appreciate some feedback from the forum.

Here's the story: Until 5 months ago my wife had a 78 911SC Targa as a fun diversion to her daily driver which is a full size pick-up truck. We had the car for almost 20 years and while the Porsche was great as well as good looking, we had owned it for so long that it had become just another car.

I had wanted to sell it for a while and when I finally convinced her to sell we agreed that we would find a "comparable" replacement. After a good deal of research and a budget of $40K max I settled on either a 95-97 Porsche 993 or a 95 - 96 NXS-T.

After driving the NSX there was no choice but to buy just that car. So I got involved with this forum, got some great advice, learned a great deal about the car and eventually found a pristine 97 "T" which we purchased 30 days ago. So much for the $40K budget.

Here's the problem we now face. I have absolutely fallen in love with this car and I am addicted. I have never enjoyed any automobile as much in my whole life but now I realize that this is no go to the market, take it to work once or twice a week car especially for my wife! I might do that but that's different, if you know what I mean.

She actually thinks the NSX is too nice to just tool around in and she now is asking for something small and sporty (not the NSX) to drive the way she did with the Porsche, which is actually better than OK with me.

So she tells me today that she wants a Miata or something small like that. So the first thing that goes through mind is cool I can pick up a pretty nice 2000 model for around 12-15K, but then I start thinking about the S2000. The problem is that I'm looking at at least $10K more for a nice S2000 and while I agree this is actually a better value when compared to the Miata, I'm not going to be the one driving it and my wife is definately NOT a car person.

So do I get her the Miata that she will be happy with and I will NEVER drive, or do I spend the extra $$$ for the S2000 which I WOULD drive, but don't need to since I now have my new beautiful NSX parked in the garage just waiting for me to take her out for a spin?

What would you do???

------------------
97 NSX-T Black/Tan
00 Mercedes 430CLK (Cab)
93 Cadillac Allante (Northstar) - Currently for Sale
98 GMC Sierra
00 HD Dyna WideGlide
83 Cessna 303 (Crusader)

[This message has been edited by Paul65K (edited 26 January 2003).]

Nothing wrong with a Miata. I'd be tempted to get that and spend a few grand of the difference on of the several turbo kits available for it. The "stage 1" kits are pretty much a quick and easy bolt-on but wake the little car up quite nicely. Personally I still can't look the S200 in the face without gagging, and your wife may not appreciate the lack uf usable low end torque.

BTW, if this thread suddenly vanishes you might check the Off-Topic forum. Lud may move it there.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 26 January 2003).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Is getting one of each an option?

NO, NO and NO!!

I already spent $10K more than I planned, and that was before the Miata/S2000.

Are you related to my wife?

The wise decision: Let her make this decision!! You have your perfect car; let her find hers.

------------------
Future NSX Driver

Originally posted by sjs:
Nothing wrong with a Miata. I'd be tempted to get that and spend a few grand of the difference on of the several turbo kits available for it. The "stage 1" kits are pretty much a quick and easy bolt-on but wake the little car up quite nicely. Personally I still can't look the S200 in the face without gagging, and your wife may not appreciate the lack uf usable low end torque.

BTW, if this thread suddenly vanishes you might check the Off-Topic forum. Lud may move it there.

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 26 January 2003).]

As far as usable low end torque, speaking as someone who has driven a Miata and owns an S2000 as well as an NSX, the S2000 low end torque is comparable if not better than any stock Miata. That 1.8L engine in the Miata is no troque monster and the 140hp isn't too impressive either. Both are very fun cars but the "S2000 has no torque" arguement doesn't hold water when you compare it to a car such as the Miata.

paul-

is your wife looking for a convertible or targa? if not, why not look into an integra type-r. best fwd performance car in the world and it's very practical for daily driving. man, do i miss mine. usually, a used one goes between $15k-$20k. '97-'98 came in championship white and '00-01 came in flamenco black or phoenix yellow. think about this car!

jay

Originally posted by Paul65K:
...So she tells me today that she wants a Miata or something small like that. So the first thing that goes through mind is cool I can pick up a pretty nice 2000 model for around 12-15K, but then I start thinking about the S2000. The problem is that I'm looking at at least $10K more for a nice S2000 and while I agree this is actually a better value when compared to the Miata, I'm not going to be the one driving it and my wife is definately NOT a car person.

So do I get her the Miata that she will be happy with and I will NEVER drive, or do I spend the extra $$$ for the S2000 which I WOULD drive, but don't need to since I now have my new beautiful NSX parked in the garage just waiting for me to take her out for a spin?

What would you do???

First of all Paul65K congratulations and welcome to our club!! Have you posted pics of your new baby as yet? If not, please do so in the Picture Gallery section of NSXPrime.

Second, based on what you said, I would get the Miata for your wife, for the following reasons:

(1) Save yourself money. Now that you've bought a 97X instead of a 96/96X it might be prudent to save the extra 10K you would have to pay for an S2000. When you look it it on an aggregate basis, you will come out even (ie, extra money spent on the X is saved on the Miata).

(2) She is NOT (your emphasis, not mine) a car enthusiast, so it won't impact her dreadfully that you didn't get the S2000.

(3) The Miata is a great every-day driver from what I hear.

(4) You've got your own car, so there really shouldn't be an issue about getting a car that satisfies the both of you. Although you won't drive the Miata, remember: you won't have to.

In summary, then, get the Miata for her, save your money, and have a heck of a time with the X. Next question...
wink.gif

Regards.

Have you driven a Miata and what is the reason you think you would never drive one? They are actually quite fun despite their lack of power. This may or may not be a deal breaker for you, but I'd at least drive one beforehand (if you haven't yet). You may be surprised, then again you may not.

good luck

Originally posted by jchin:
paul-

is your wife looking for a convertible or targa? if not, why not look into an integra type-r. best fwd performance car in the world and it's very practical for daily driving. man, do i miss mine. usually, a used one goes between $15k-$20k. '97-'98 came in championship white and '00-01 came in flamenco black or phoenix yellow. think about this car!

jay

Integras represent! (GS-R owner here)
Serisouly though, an integra type-r will provide much sportier peformance than a miata, turn more heads, and argueably be more reliable in the long run. Type-R's are good for 130,000+ miles on them, not only are they fast, but they have bullet-proof honda 4cyl. reliability.

But make SURE to get theft insurance on one. Integras are the most-stolen car per capita, and type-r's and thge most saught after.

Edit: Need I mention the Real Time Racing Integra Type-R's that have won race after race after race after race(champions, what, 6 years running) even though they now have restrictions on them? [end shamelss integra plug]

[This message has been edited by SpankyPop (edited 27 January 2003).]

Re:

jay

Have to agree here, like 100%. Had a 98 ITR and miss it sooo much. Decent torque, 8500 redline, great MPG, FUN TO DRIVE. Only deficiency is no cruise control/moonroof/convertible/AC was an option in 97/98 (although most have). Perfect car for 10-20 mile commutes. Hey I think its even nsxtasy's daily driver and 2nd weeekend toy. ITR hold their value extremely well.
my $.02.

John

Ever thought of the MINI Cooper for her?

Chicks REALLY dig that car!

Since she's not a car nut, a Cooper "S" is not necessary. You can find the regular Mini's for cheaper now. Check autotrader.

Good advice! issue is that we live in a beach community and the top must go down/come off!

I was really trying to get her to look at the Mini but no success there, she just said it looked "Wierd", whatever that means!

Thanks for all your input, looks like I will probably start looking for a Miata!

Cheers!

Originally posted by Paul65K:
Good advice! issue is that we live in a beach community and the top must go down/come off!

I was really trying to get her to look at the Mini but no success there, she just said it looked "Wierd", whatever that means!

Thanks for all your input, looks like I will probably start looking for a Miata!

Cheers!

If you want a top down chick car, get a beatle convertible. That vase with the flower is oh so girly!
smile.gif

Originally posted by SCS2k:
As far as usable low end torque, speaking as someone who has driven a Miata and owns an S2000 as well as an NSX, the S2000 low end torque is comparable if not better than any stock Miata. That 1.8L engine in the Miata is no troque monster and the 140hp isn't too impressive either. Both are very fun cars but the "S2000 has no torque" arguement doesn't hold water when you compare it to a car such as the Miata.

I think you missed the important part of my post where I said to spend a few grand of the difference and bolt on a turbo kit.

The blue lines are HP & torque for the S2000. The red lines are the Miata. Yes, they are on the same scale. Now what was that you said about torque?
wink.gif

http://home.att.net/~ss510/MX5T-S2000.jpg

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 27 January 2003).]

Ive owned a miata and you cant go wrong for the money, it is a great car!

------------------
91 Acura Nsx
99 360 Modena
03 Mercedes Sl500
02 lexus Lx470

Back