• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Maintenance costs and reliability

I have Travelers Insurance and the 2017 NSX costs approximately $1800 per year full coverage, $500 deductible. I have our home and other car insured as well. Not bad at all. As for maintenance, my local dealer will do the oil change for $350. I can probably find it cheaper, but convenience is more important. I will have the brake fluid changed as that was listed at three years. What else should be changed out at 3 years of age?

I have Travelers Insurance and the 2017 NSX costs approximately $1800 per year full coverage, $500 deductible. I have our home and other car insured as well. Not bad at all. As for maintenance, my local dealer will do the oil change for $350. I can probably find it cheaper, but convenience is more important. I will have the brake fluid changed as that was listed at three years. What else should be changed out at 3 years of age?

Possibly the fluid in your electric motors? but i think that's it....

Same here about $330 oil change on my 2017 done at Acura. Insurance is about $1500 yr. It actually went down in the $1400 when I switched to a 2019.

I find this car to be far less expensive than with the Porsches I had serviced while living in palm beach. The Porsche dealers were a ripoff.

I also found that on replacing tires Acura would only charge wht Tire rack would charge for tires and would do all tire repair work for free. At the Audi and Porsche dealers they would not match or honor tire racks prices and would charge $500 bucks a tire or almost $2k just for tires for a set of four on a porsche where as you could get the tires from tire rack much less......

I find Acura much more reasonable for the NSX but there are some dealers that are ripping NSX owners off charging $1500 for alignment. If you are quoted a ridiculous price from a dealer walk away.

Last edited:
This is FALSE my total insurance cost is $1500 yr for full coverage $500k etc. Why don't you stop bashing the Gen 2 NSX and get on the Rennlist forum???

Switch to decaf.....

Switch to decaf.....

Why don't you switch to a porsche forum?

This would be like me hanging around the R8 forum and telling them why the R8 sucks and why my NSX is so great.

You posted a response on my Thread talking up your Porsche and then deleted it? You also PM me about what a great deal you got on your 911 and blah blah blah......

Who does that? Some kind of insecurity over the new NSX drawing more attention than your 2015 $70k Porsche?

Oh yeah you also implied what a horrible value the NSX was and than you quote a retail sale price for your 2015 911 turbo of $105k??

But wait!!!! then you told me Porsche did you the honor of CPO ing your Porsche and now you have an extended warranty. Guess what bud you paid for that warranty, Your car is nothing special in a MASSIVE sea of 911s. Get over it.

I got some news for you on your trade in... The thing is 5 YEARS OLD and will be worth $70k to 80k max. Go try it at you local Porsche dealer but make sure you get at least $60k off that 911 turbo this time before they quote you that price.

Last edited:
Actually my annual insurance premium is a total of $1848 for the 2017 NSX and the 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 (the MSRP was $86k). So it is really not expensive at all. They charge me $419 for Collision and Comprehensive for the NSX and $281 for Collision and Comprehensive for the Volvo. The remainder is $1,151 and that is the coverage for both cars and includes Bodily Injury Liability of $636, Property Damage Liability of $268, Medical Payments of $35, and Uninsured Motorist of $212. I have never seen a company break down insurance like that. In the past they would just charge for each one of the elements and then total it up. So my insurance is pretty inexpensive. Probably helps that I am 72 and we both have clean records and live in Santa Barbara which is not Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Hey Hothonda, you know it is only a matter of time before you find yourself back in the saddle of a NSX. Admit it, you got to come back. Get rid of that old 2015 Porsche and get a new Yellow NSX. You know you want one......

This is FALSE my total insurance cost is $1500 yr for full coverage $500k etc. Why don't you stop bashing the Gen 2 NSX and get on the Rennlist forum???

This car is less to insure than my previous R8 and Porsches. You have to call and custom add it to your insurance policy because its not a common car or a dime a dozen liks say a 911.

Agreed, my coverage is less than $1800 for $150k stated value coverage with no mileage limitations, full liability, and uninsured / underinsured coverage. This car is a Honda...I can't imagine a company not insuring this car...they must be out of their minds.

I happen to take a look a the Bring a Trailer sale site today and saw a 2018 Ferrari 488 with about 1000 miles for sale. What was interesting was on the Monroney Window Sticker it said the car comes with 7 years of free maintenance. I thought wow is that really something. I went on the Ferrari web site and they suggested that they had such great faith in the quality of the car that it warranted giving it free maintenance for 7 years. Then I checked out the actual warranty. There it states the warranty is good for 36 months and unlimited mileage. The powertrain is also only 36 months and unlimited mileage. Like anyone who pays $300000 plus is going to drive it unlimited miles. So our Acura warranty of 48 months and 50,000 miles with a powertrain warranty of 72 months and 70,000 miles is pretty damn good!

I happen to take a look a the Bring a Trailer sale site today and saw a 2018 Ferrari 488 with about 1000 miles for sale. What was interesting was on the Monroney Window Sticker it said the car comes with 7 years of free maintenance. I thought wow is that really something. I went on the Ferrari web site and they suggested that they had such great faith in the quality of the car that it warranted giving it free maintenance for 7 years. Then I checked out the actual warranty. There it states the warranty is good for 36 months and unlimited mileage. The powertrain is also only 36 months and unlimited mileage. Like anyone who pays $300000 plus is going to drive it unlimited miles. So our Acura warranty of 48 months and 50,000 miles with a powertrain warranty of 72 months and 70,000 miles is pretty damn good!

The 7 years of maintenance from Ferrari does a few things at once.

A big piece is having cars well maintained so used prices stay high.

One odd thing is they force you to get the work done within certain windows and if not, not free.

I work near a large F car shop. One sad reality is most of their customers only drive their F cars about 1000 miles a year, and much of that is get in car, drive around the neighborhood, perhaps with spouse and then drive home. Once in a while stop for gas prior to going home.

Every Fcar owner I know is concerned with mileage. To the point that the cars are hardly driven.

I chatted with a guy in a F12 at the gas station recently. He asked me how many miles I've put on my NSX. When I told him I've put over 9k miles on it, he about fell over. "Wish I could put that many miles on my car", he said. I answered with, "It's a Honda."

Every Fcar owner I know is concerned with mileage. To the point that the cars are hardly driven.

I chatted with a guy in a F12 at the gas station recently. He asked me how many miles I've put on my NSX. When I told him I've put over 9k miles on it, he about fell over. "Wish I could put that many miles on my car", he said. I answered with, "It's a Honda."

Axlerod, good for you driving and putting miles on your car..... I have a very difficult time putting miles on mine, and I hate it. Only 3700 miles in 28 months. I still have a very difficult time leaving the car in any public parking spot unless I know I have a safe space for it. It's a difficult balance with value and mileage. I'm 62 and trying to tell my self to drive and enjoy the car now. It will depreciate even if I don't drive it much.

Porsche guys have it right. They drive and enjoy their cars it seems..... It seems stupid to own such a wonderful thing and then have it sit in the garage. I am in Colorado, and that does limit my driving opportunities in the winter. I'm not worried at all about reliability, but more so about reducing value. I decided that when I bought the car new, I wasn't going to worry about depreciation, but it's hard not to.......

It was nice to read that Primemvr had 11K miles and 12 track sessions..... Now there's a guy that's doing it right

Lord, give me the courage to drive my car more.........!!!

Last edited:
...Lord, give me the courage to drive my car more.........!!!

There isn’t much of a delta in the wholesale price of a car with twice the mileage of yours. You are being foolish not driving the car.

There isn’t much of a delta in the wholesale price of a car with twice the mileage of yours. You are being foolish not driving the car.

Well, I never thought I'd see the day that you would call me "foolish" and that I'd agree with you......

My 87 year old father bought a used 2005 Chrysler Crossfire convertible 10 years ago for $15K, white with a black top, nice looking car. I think it had 25 K miles on it, like brand new. He drove it 3K miles in 10 years, and now It's worth $5K. Tough to swallow, but the way it is. I can't bear to sell it for that much, but my hand will be forced someday.
He likes to "have" cars. The problem is that it just sits, and it's stupid to pay the cost of insurance, plates, etc, if you're not driving it.....

And I do agree that even if the car had 1/2 that mileage, it wouldn't be worth a hell of a lot more.

Last edited:
Axlerod, good for you driving and putting miles on your car..... I have a very difficult time putting miles on mine, and I hate it. Only 3700 miles in 28 months. I still have a very difficult time leaving the car in any public parking spot unless I know I have a safe space for it. It's a difficult balance with value and mileage. I'm 62 and trying to tell my self to drive and enjoy the car now. It will depreciate even if I don't drive it much.

Porsche guys have it right. They drive and enjoy their cars it seems..... It seems stupid to own such a wonderful thing and then have it sit in the garage. I am in Colorado, and that does limit my driving opportunities in the winter. I'm not worried at all about reliability, but more so about reducing value. I decided that when I bought the car new, I wasn't going to worry about depreciation, but it's hard not to.......

It was nice to read that Primemvr had 11K miles and 12 track sessions..... Now there's a guy that's doing it right

The parking issue is similar for me (an I am almost 62).

I mostly drive mine to work and back, about 34 miles each way and I do just under 4K miles a year.

I get to work early and have a favorite spot in the lot. Most times a guy with an S7 parks next to mine and he's not going to bang his door into my car.

I have only left the car in "unknown territory" an hand full of times.

When I bought my car, I told myself that it wasn't going to be a garage queen. I'm retired so I don't drive every day, but I try to drive the NSX as often as I can. It is a fantastic driver's car. I've taken it on road trips, to stores and restaurants. I try to be careful when parking it, but otherwise I treat it like a normal car. My poor Civic has become the garage queen now.

Go ahead and drive the car. You will regret it later on if you don't.

A few owners already have over 50k miles on their NSX.

Last edited:

Why save your car for the next owner? You only live once.

There has been multiple recalls. Oil changes are approximately $500, some dealers are less. There is more work involved in changing oil. Oil changes on front motors every 1-2 years and clutch and trans fluid change every 2-3 years.

The kicker is the valve adjustment which requires engine removed out of chassis like Ferrari and requires 28.3 hours of labor.

How much do the oil changes on the front motors and transmission fluid changes go for? I heard there was some R&D on how to avoid the engine-out valve adjustment - has that gotten any further along?

Looks like tire replacement prices are very reasonable at around $1,300 for OEM.

Anyone consider all season (Cont DWS06)? Surprised to see them around $1,100 at Tire Rack. Living in Chicago, I may consider this option whenever I need new tires in the future.

Pat's seems to like all season tires and performs well esp in colder climates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4oxtlnorTA

Last edited:
the conti 6 is a great tire.

Looks like tire replacement prices are very reasonable at around $1,300 for OEM.

Anyone consider all season (Cont DWS06)? Surprised to see them around $1,100 at Tire Rack. Living in Chicago, I may consider this option whenever I need new tires in the future.

Pat's seems to like all season tires and performs well esp in colder climates.

I need tires soon. Strongly considering the Conti DWS06 for year-round use. If they're too hard or slippery in the summer I'll swap out for Conti 6s. Been dragging my feet as the weather warms up.

Edit... or the Bridgestone A/S, still debating.

Last edited:
I have the conti 6 on my ctr and I drive with my usual abandon in 20* weather in bucolic NE Pa

Back