• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Matte Black NSX

Not NSX but 350Z (a similar car, no? :tongue::D)

It looks cool but how does the owner like in 5 years or so?

My old desktop wallpaper.. This car belongs to the member 'Hishi' on this forum.

ss323.jpg

Is Satin black easier to maintain, more difficult or the same as 'regular' black glossy paint?

I here mixed answers and would like 'experienced' replies before I go through with it. Thanks in advance!

Yes, I know I have this in other threads. :)

Last edited:
Actually mine is a satin black rather than a flat black. I kind of addressed your question in the other thread but I'll try to give you more of a detailed response here.

When I was looking at the different types of black finishes here is what I was able to discover. Black really breaks down into two types of finishes. Flat black and clear coated black. The MAIN difference I could determine between flat black and clear coated black is that the flat black has no top coat (or clear coat) to:

1) Protect and seal the black finish
2) Add any level of gloss or shine to the finish.

As far as cars with a clear coat, you can get various levels of gloss, anywhere from a dull finish, to satin, to high gloss (typical of most factory finishes). It's all in the gloss level of the clear coat you choose to put on top of the paint you lay down as a base. When I was getting my car done, I actually went through a couple iterations of various clear coat finishes until I got to a level that I felt was not too glossy and not too flat.

Ok, now if you go with a pure flat black finish, it will basically be a flat black paint with no clear coat. From what I’ve seen it will be a challenge to keep clean especially in a dusty environment. This is because the finish will be rough (not smooth like a clear coat) and will hold dust and dirt a lot easier. Also with not gloss or sheen, any dirt or defect will show up like a neon sign. The good news is that you won’t/don’t wax the car. The finish is just as is and you don’t want to clay bar, wax or polish the surface, unless you want to add some shine to it. The more you wax and polish it, the more it will gradually get more polished and take on a sheen; think black electrical tape. The bad news is, without UV protection, a flat black finish degrade quickly in the sun and most flat black paint finishes don’t hold up long without having to be repainted. A nice alternative to flat black is to get a flat black vinyl wrap (as seen above). You can get the flat black look, without changing your paint and remove it at a later date if you don’t like it. You would care for it as you would any vinyl surface.

If you go with a clear coated finish, like satin or high gloss, then the care is typical of any clear coated car. Wash, wax, etc. However, the catch with anything less than a high gloss finish (like satin) is that each time you wax, the finish will get glossier and glossier. That’s because most waxes are designed to bring out the shine. If there was a satin gloss wax, then you could preserve the shine and wax all you want, but since most cars are high gloss, the market for a satin gloss wax is very small (if non-existent). So as I mentioned in the earlier thread, the move I wax my satin finish, the more I’ve noticed it getting glossier. I have to be cognizant not to over-wax as it will give me more gloss than I want. However, the day to day care is similar (if not exact) to when I had the original OEM Berlina Black paint finish.

Thank you so much! That is what I wanted to know.

I'm thinking of going with Satin Black.

Last questions (I hope):

1.) I would assume that the swirls are much harder to notice then with gloss back in the sunlight. Am I correct. That is the only drawback to me with black.

2.) How about water marks?

I love it at night, in the shade or after a detail. I think we all know what black looks like in the sun.

Hey you can't copy me! Only I may have the only Satin Black NSX! :tongue::biggrin:

Scratches and swirls show up very distinctly in a Satin Finish. The more dull you go, the harder it is to hide defects. The imperfections in my paint and body really stand out with the Satin Black.

Not sure about the water marks as I haven't washed my car yet. One thing about a flatter black is that it never looks super clean, like a super polished black can look. But on the flip side, when it gets dirty, it doesn't look drastically different either.

WOW, that is very well done. Looks so good.

There is a Lamborghini Gallardo in a solid satin/flat black wrap.
Its definitely different.
Here in Texas you could use it in the summer to bake cookies if your oven ever conked out.
I'd go wrap as you may not like it long term.

Back