• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

Consider my soul not stirred by the new NSX.

I have resisted posting my opinion thus far but this is exactly my sentiment about the new one. Nice but doesn't immediately grab me as the original did when I saw one for the first time.

Maybe I will grow to appreciate the new design more. We have about three years for that to happen.

Uh Honda never restricted the numbers on our car it just didn't sell in great numbers:biggrin:

Honda did restrict the numbers though, starting in 2002 that I know of they limited to 250 into the US. I remember when Dad wanted his he had to get on a list and wait to see if he could even get one due to it being sold in Michigan @ the time since Honda would have rather had them sell into West Coast, etc. This was w/ a deposit as well.

You want it to look like a Celica? Modern exotics don't have pronounced wings (see 458 Italia, R8, MP4-12C).

Celica.. thats funny! I was thinking relatively low profile and more of an integrated spoiler than a wing, although the wing on Oscar's renditions looks good

Aaron I wouldn't worry too much. Acura told a select group of press in December that the disclosed 400hp 3.5L hybrid system was "not potent enough" for the NSX, so they didn't put it in the concept car. Think about it- if they had done so, then they would have to answer all the questions about it only to conclude by telling us that it isn't actually what will be in the production model. Better to simply say they are developing the powerplant based on the 3.5L sport hybrid system. The 3.5L will likely end up in the new RL and/or TL Type S. However, because Acura VP John Mendell told Perry he had driven a prototype, I suspect there is at least one test mule out there with the 3.5L system installed in the mid-rear configuration.

As for price, my guess is $75k to $85k for the base model. Roadster NSX-T in year 2 at $95k and a Type S or R in year 3 at $105k. Based on Ito's statements, I think we can also expect a limited edition GT model for big bucks.

My first thought after seeing the interior picture was... Really? How could Honda put so little effort into this concept. No interior, no drive train. It does not have to be the final hybrid drive train but how about something that moves on its own power. This is essentially a 1:1 scale model of a car. With that said, it is exciting, but also disappointing that so little resources were put towards this project.

The million dollar question IMHO is what is the price point? If it is priced similar to the GTR it will be a huge win. However, if it is more like the LFA it will be pointless. I had high hopes for the LFA until they announced the price. The $350k price tag makes that car irrelevant as only a handful will ever make it to the street. Will the new NSX sell for between 90k – 125k?

Aaron I wouldn't worry too much. Acura told a select group of press in December that the disclosed 400hp 3.5L hybrid system was "not potent enough" for the NSX, so they didn't put it in the concept car. Think about it- if they had done so, then they would have to answer all the questions about it only to conclude by telling us that it isn't actually what will be in the production model. Better to simply say they are developing the powerplant based on the 3.5L sport hybrid system. The 3.5L will likely end up in the new RL and/or TL Type S. However, because Acura VP John Mendell told Perry he had driven a prototype, I suspect there is at least one test mule out there with the 3.5L system installed in the mid-rear configuration.

As for price, my guess is $75k to $85k for the base model. Roadster NSX-T in year 2 at $95k and a Type S or R in year 3 at $105k. Based on Ito's statements, I think we can also expect a limited edition GT model for big bucks.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...d-its-acura-nsx-hybrid-super-car-in-ohio.html

The decision to build the second-generation NSX was made prior to Japan’s March 2011 earthquake and tsunami, Iwamura said. While the company didn’t provide pricing for the new car, Iwamura said in a December interview in Las Vegas that the model couldn’t be sold for less than $100,000.

sigh.... Jeez you guys are rough

Some of you guys are ridiculous. Now you need to own an NSX in order to give an opinion on the new model? You know what a troll looks like? Someone who comes on and says "The new NSX sucks, the old one sucked more and Honda sucks donkey balls"

Instead, we have someone who criticized the new design but who clearly loves the NA1/NA2, has been lurking on the forum for a year, owns honda's, and is looking to purchase an NSX in the near future.

Quite frankly he's just reiterating what a lot of NSX owners are saying already... the new design isn't as elegant and timeless as the original, it doesn't evoke the same feelings, and Acura's design direction recently has been crap.

My first thought after seeing the interior picture was... Really? How could Honda put so little effort into this concept. No interior, no drive train. It does not have to be the final hybrid drive train but how about something that moves on its own power. This is essentially a 1:1 scale model of a car. With that said, it is exciting, but also disappointing that so little resources were put towards this project.

I think it's clear that due to economic conditions Honda just RECENTLY started working this new car. In fact, I suspect that the only reason they're showing a concept this year (instead of a more polished model a year from now) is that they're paying big bucks to pimp the Acura brand in the new Avengers movie and the timing is perfect to get this car in the spotlight.

My suspicion is that they only seriously started considering this new model after the positive feedback on the Avengers car. If that's the case, and they've only been working on it the past few months, it's no surprise that there's no interior or mechanical specs.

I read a post in one of these threads that the new car is going to be based on the Accord platform. I hope that was speculation and not reality, but I have this bad feeling that if they hope to get this car to production in 3 years they need to basically finish the car in the next 12-16 months and that may not be enough time to design a new platform from scratch.

Wow...no interior, no confirmed engine, and they want to build in Ohio with two design studios across the globe still designing...???

"The company plans to export the vehicle from Ohio to Japan and other global markets and is still studying details of the new production site, he said"

What about re-tooling the Ohio plant and getting it ready for building these cars?

Seems unlikely at the moment...

Two days later, the more I look at it the less I like it. It's more than just the great chrome egg tooth (which sucks ass all by itself), it's definitely missing that elusive quality that made the original such a great looker.

I read somewhere today(and I can't remember where probably on a forum) that Acura/Honda doesn't think that the headlight design or the glass roof will make it into production.

Really? I have a cool design for the headlights then. What do you think of this.. LOL... All the work is already done:

Audi-R8-headlight.JPG

I read somewhere today(and I can't remember where probably on a forum) that Acura/Honda doesn't think that the headlight design or the glass roof will make it into production.

Next week you'll also read that tail lights and side air vents will be re designed.

In a month you'll read that the engine has been put in the front

3 years later you'll see it re-badged

4 years from now we'll start a new thread about this, and Mitch will be front and center again!:biggrin:

Paul, if you are right I am ready to vote with my checkbook. However, I really doubt they will be able to make such a car with hybrid drive train for under $120k. The GTR is $92,500 and a fully optioned Z06 now tops $100k. I hope I am wrong but I see a $135k+ price tag.

4 years from now we'll start a new thread about this, and Mitch will be front and center again!:biggrin:

In that time he needs to have a cardboard sign with him prepared so when they reveal a car that's so-so. Raise up the sign that says "WTF Honda?" :biggrin:

Can I say something important no one talks about?

I hope the car DRIVES well. Everyone talks about engine placement, drive technology, height and width, tire size, cupholders, etc. But what matters the MOST.... more than anything else, is how fun the car is to drive.

While C&D and MT were gushing over the GT-R, I drove one and said "it's too boring. Fast, but boring". I get my C&D this month and it says "the GT-R is now starting to have a soul, it used to be just a numbers car". Really Mr. Editor? I could have told you that 2 years ago.

The NSX, beyond all else, is FUN. That's why I liked the R8. Because it too, was fun. I really don't care all that much how many moors it has or what the shAWD does or what the HP numbers are, as long as it is FUN TO DRIVE I will buy one. I love my current NSX because especially with my supercharger and various other mods, it is a BLAST to drive.

Just a few opinions.
1. This is a concept, not a prototype. Plus, this concept is only a design study at this stage with no drive train. The HSC was further developed than this one and the V10 prototype was gaining track time! Well we all know what happened next...
2. This was designed in America by Americans. Do any of you really expect Honda's next flagship and halo car will be designed and built in America?
3. I can't tell you the number of projects I've worked on which were "definitely going to be built", some were even designed and then fell over at the 11th hour due to funding no matter how much the public supported the projects, or how excited we were and wanted to build them!
4. This is an important concept to gauge opinion only but really for Honda in America to get some PR for the Acura brand having done nothing to rein in Nissan and Toyota over the last decade, let alone the Italian's and German's...
5. Honda traditionally will not revive a car which has been out of production and as such the NSX successor will not be called an NSX. That is another PR stunt to get people to even attend this "release" :rolleyes:

I am personally so glad that Honda America created this concept! Also calling it an NSX shows that they are aware of what the buying public want to see in the showrooms. Unfortunately the bean counters which now run Honda in Japan will not build this car!... :(

I'm actually a little surprised of the attention this concept has gained especially considering

Just a few opinions.
1. This is a concept, not a prototype. Plus, this concept is only a design study at this stage with no drive train. The HSC was further developed than this one and the V10 prototype was gaining track time! Well we all know what happened next...
2. This was designed in America by Americans. Do any of you really expect Honda's next flagship and halo car will be designed and built in America?
3. I can't tell you the number of projects I've worked on which were "definitely going to be built", some were even designed and then fell over at the 11th hour due to funding no matter how much the public supported the projects, or how excited we were and wanted to build them!
4. This is an important concept to gauge opinion only but really for Honda in America to get some PR for the Acura brand having done nothing to rein in Nissan and Toyota over the last decade, let alone the Italian's and German's...
5. Honda traditionally will not revive a car which has been out of production and as such the NSX successor will not be called an NSX. That is another PR stunt to get people to even attend this "release" :rolleyes:

I am personally so glad that Honda America created this concept! Also calling it an NSX shows that they are aware of what the buying public want to see in the showrooms. Unfortunately the bean counters which now run Honda in Japan will not build this car!... :(

I'm actually a little surprised of the attention this concept has gained especially considering

It'll be built and built in America. In a couple of years we will revisit this post. One one us will look like a fool. :biggrin:

Can I say something important no one talks about?

I hope the car DRIVES well. Everyone talks about engine placement, drive technology, height and width, tire size, cupholders, etc. But what matters the MOST.... more than anything else, is how fun the car is to drive.

While C&D and MT were gushing over the GT-R, I drove one and said "it's too boring. Fast, but boring". I get my C&D this month and it says "the GT-R is now starting to have a soul, it used to be just a numbers car". Really Mr. Editor? I could have told you that 2 years ago.

The NSX, beyond all else, is FUN. That's why I liked the R8. Because it too, was fun. I really don't care all that much how many moors it has or what the shAWD does or what the HP numbers are, as long as it is FUN TO DRIVE I will buy one. I love my current NSX because especially with my supercharger and various other mods, it is a BLAST to drive.

Trust me, Dave, I totally have this point of concern in mind and a whole lot more that I could yet find the time to type out all my thoughts. Guess I should just break them into separate posts and just address the fun factor here.

IMHO, the SH-SHAWD is going to be a killer around the corners which is VERY likely to surpass even the GTR (and please keep in mind I'm aware of the fact that only a few cars currently on the planet can beat the GTR in corners). The GT5 Demo clearly illustrated how much thought Acura/Honda has put into the system in how all 4 wheels cleverly play their individual roles combined with electric motors. This is a whole new level above any cars revealed to date. So the New NSX is going to be underpowered (my guess is 3.7L to produce around 400hp plus 50hp from each electric front motor to generate around 500hp and yes, underpowered by 2015 whereas its competitors ought to be above 600hp by then) but it will absolutely kill around the corners, very similar to the original NSX's destiny. Not a Tyson but surely an Ali.

Back to the fun factor, while it is going to be awesome in turns pulling huge Gs, I highly doubt it is going to be as fun as us original NA1s and NA2s. Why? Because of too much electronic assists. The pure satisfaction of making a precise turn or perfect drift combined with skillful heel-and-toe in a raw car like ours now is unmeasurable. Surely no matter how perfect of the execution as humanly possible can get in a traditional car, the SH-SHAWD has absolutely no reason to lose simply because we don't have control of all the wheels but the computer can, simultaneously too. Not to mention the flawless swifty shifts from the 7-speed DCT. However, one ought to know it is the car that's doing most of the work and no longer the driver.

This is the case with the current GTR, so much electronic assists that even a below average driver can do terrific times with it. Reality is that all performance cars must head towards this direction or they cannot keep up with the competition. Truly sad is also that future cars will all lose the purity of a driver's car for the sake of better numbers.

We will all own a future performance car sooner or later given we are all car enthusiasts here. With technology only going forward, there will not be anything fun like the original NSX again. I am not bashing the New NSX at all as I will definitely buy one in years the road but I am also going to keep the original NSX to remind myself in the future of what "fun" used to be like.

Last edited:
Just a few opinions.

1. Not true. I spoke with John Mendell a Honda higher up and he told me he was shocked at the power the new car had.

2. Yes because the Yen is killing their profit margins. America is the largest market for the NSX so this makes good sense.

It's more than a concept and it's on the way.

It's so funny no matter what we say people here keep believing the mags which are reporting the WRONG info. Car and Driver is the only one not saying this stupid 400hp nonsense.

Honda did restrict the numbers though, starting in 2002 that I know of they limited to 250 into the US. I remember when Dad wanted his he had to get on a list and wait to see if he could even get one due to it being sold in Michigan @ the time since Honda would have rather had them sell into West Coast, etc. This was w/ a deposit as well.

So only 250 2002 were available or only 250 sold?? There's a difference. I thought dad had to order because he wanted an auto and auto demand was so low they had to be ordered?

Also Illinois and Oh never had a problem but Honda stopped bringing NSX's into Michigan due to low demand/sales but other areas more foreign friendly didn't have the same restrictions. I found that out while price shopping dealers.

IMHO, the SH-SHAWD is going to be a killer around the corners which is VERY likely to surpass even the GTR (and please keep in mind I'm aware of the fact that only a few cars currently on the planet can beat the GTR in corners). The GT5 Demo clearly illustrated how much thought Acura/Honda has put into the system in how all 4 wheels cleverly play their individual roles combined with electric motors. This is a whole new level above any cars revealed to date. So the New NSX is going to be underpowered (my guess is 3.7L to produce around 400hp plus 50hp from each electric front motor to generate around 500hp and yes, underpowered by 2015 whereas its competitors ought to be above 600hp by then) but it will absolutely kill around the corners, very similar to the original NSX's destiny. Not a Tyson but surely an Ali.

Back to the fun factor, while it is going to be awesome in turns pulling huge Gs, I highly doubt it is going to be as fun as us original NA1s and NA2s. Why? Because of too much electronic assists. The pure satisfaction of making a precise turn or perfect drift combined with skillful heel-and-toe in a raw car like ours now is unmeasurable. Surely no matter how perfect of the execution as humanly possible can get in a traditional car, the SH-SHAWD has absolutely no reason to lose simply because we don't have control of all the wheels but the computer can, simultaneously too. Not to mention the flawless swifty shifts from the 7-speed DCT. However, one ought to know it is the car that's doing most of the work and no longer the driver.

This is the case with the current GTR, so much electronic assists that even a below average driver can do terrific times with it. Reality is that all performance cars must head towards this direction or they cannot keep up with the competition. Truly sad is also that future cars will all lose the purity of a driver's car for the sake of better numbers.

We will all own a future performance car sooner or later given we are all car enthusiasts here. With technology only going forward, there will not be anything fun like the original NSX again. I am not bashing the New NSX at all as I will definitely buy one in years the road but I am also going to keep the original NSX to remind myself in the future of what "fun" used to be like.

I agree 100% with everything that you've said here. I think it will end up being a GTR-like car where it may inspire a lot of confidence in the driver and be able to pull off lap times faster than the raw specs might dictate, but it won't be as fun to drive as the original.

Back