• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

I agree 100% with everything that you've said here. I think it will end up being a GTR-like car where it may inspire a lot of confidence in the driver and be able to pull off lap times faster than the raw specs might dictate, but it won't be as fun to drive as the original.

I am hopeful because in the conference Ito said how important the man/machine relationship is. He said that with some emphasis. Take away the recent fails, Honda has always been kind of a driver's car even in the cheap cars.

I just don't like the idea of the NSX targeting the GT-R prie range, because that adds yet another level of pressure on the engineers and results in compromises. The original NSX was not a cheap car and if you adjust for inflation it would have cost well over 100K today. It was challenging Ferrari, not Nissan. I want a car that challenges Ferrari, don't you? Is the GT-R a Ferrari challenger? yeah.... in numbers. It couldn't be further away when it comes to emotion. 458 is a visceral car. Emotional. Passionate. If Honda is aiming for a car, it should be that, not a GTR.

Not looking for a nurburgring time... that's for the people who aren't real owners or drivers.

The Original NSX was a 355 challenger, it did some things worse, but many things better. I want the new NSX to target a 458, if it can't have the same sound, then it can give me other things. But be FUN, be a challenge to drive, give me something to work with. I can EASILY sell my NSX and mods and get a brand new GTR for it. I don't because it doesn't do it for me! I am hopeful Honda will.

Last edited:
Hmmm... I'm liking what I'm seeing in the new car and not sure where the hate is coming from... It's the closest thing I've seen from Honda/Acura that resembles the NSX and the styling is growing on me. MR layout, 2 seats, big windows with great sight lines (or it appears to w/o actually sitting in it), short front hood, etc... Even the height and wheelbase numbers are close to the NSX. About the only thing that worries me is weight, but the GT-R has shown that clever technology can hide the weight.

It's still a concept, so it's not worth making grand statements about things that are wrong. Most concepts have wheels a few inches too large with ugly rims.

I have faith Honda will make the car fast and handle like a beast, just as we expect from an NSX. So far, almost no information has been released, so it's almost inappropriate to claim it doesn't carry the high tech innovations of the original NSX. Who knows what cool tech is going to show up in the drive-train. Electronically controlled cams?

For everyone who claims it can't be called NSX because it's not eXperimental, have you noticed that almost every Acura for the last 10 years has an X in the name: TSX, RDX, MDX, ILX, RSX, etc... it's just Acura's naming convention. And again, we really don't have any details... Honda could have some really cool coming tech that we don't know yet. I'm willing to wait and see.

The other tough pill to swallow are the design cues in its shape... but its been 25 years since original NSX was penned.. Cars evolve... look at any other car and see how much they've changed in 25 years. The new GT-R doesn't look at all like the old 90's models. Corvettes have also changed a lot over the years. But I'll ignore Porsche :)

Anyways, I'm excited to see this car come out. I still think there's a void for a supercar/exotic car that's between $60k and $125k. A 2 seater with a mid engine and good performance is hard to come by under $125k, and that's one of the things that has sold me on the NSX back when I got mine. Otherwise you're stuck with a Porsche or a Corvette, neither of which interest me. The GT-R and R8 are intriguing, though... both have a bit of an allure to them, but nothing like I get from an NSX, even the new concept is more interesting to me than the GT-R.

I am looking at these picture closely one by one...

Man this concept is gorgeous. It's bad ass. I would LOVE to own this car.

How can you not be happy with this in your garage. REALLY:

nsx20120109-0060_205229.jpg

Good Job Honda.

Last edited:
I agree, compete with the 458. Try to design the new NSX to have that look. Stay away from all the Cadillac sharp angles. PLEASE get rid of the beak. If Honda had slowly evolved the NSX over its 15 year run it would have ended up looking much like the 458.

Right now, in my opinion, the 458 is the most gorgeous exotic out there.

It'll be built and built in America. In a couple of years we will revisit this post. One one us will look like a fool. :biggrin:
Well I hope it's me, but I'll bet money it's you. :biggrin:

1. Not true. I spoke with John Mendell a Honda higher up and he told me he was shocked at the power the new car had.

2. Yes because the Yen is killing their profit margins. America is the largest market for the NSX so this makes good sense.

It's more than a concept and it's on the way.
1. I don't care who you talked to, I seem to remember the CEO of Honda showing off the last one and then axing that as well.

2. Sorry, but I just don't believe this will happen. If your talking economics, then why don't they just build it at their plant in Thailand where there are no unions and skilled labour is a LOT cheaper. Yes America WAS the largest market for the NSX previously taking 50% of total NSX production, I do not believe that will be the case in 3 - 10 years time based on sales figures trends from the European exotics manufacturers.

As TURBO2GO said... "In a couple of years we will revisit this post. One one us will look like a fool. :biggrin:"... I'm happy to be that fool! I just don't think I will be...

I want a car that challenges Ferrari, don't you? Is the GT-R a Ferrari challenger? yeah.... in numbers. It couldn't be further away when it comes to emotion. 458 is a visceral car. Emotional. Passionate. If Honda is aiming for a car, it should be that, not a GTR.

I agree, but the 458 is a REALLY high bar. We're talking about a highly engineered car from a company whose sole focus has been on performance. Stylish, well engineered, extremely fun to drive, and an incredible aural experience.

I would love for Honda engineers to be aiming at the 458, but the reality is that unless this is going to be a $250k+ car with 5-6 years of development time, it won't come remotely close to hitting that mark. If Honda went balls-out, the car would probably turn out something like the LFA.. and if they wanted to come close to recouping those R&D dollars it would probably end up costing as much as well.

In my opinion, Honda's going to have to make a lot of concessions to get this out under $150k and in 3 years time.

The question (for me at least) is, in 3 years time will you get a new NSX or for the same price, a used 458? If the 458 turns out to be fairly reliable, even with a higher upkeep, it might be the better choice for many.

Last edited:
I think the 458 is a brilliant car, but I don't think maintenance and upkeep on any Ferrari will make it as practical as the NSX and I hope the NSX 2 will still be a Honda in that regard.

In my future (dreams) as a successful iPhone developer, I would be buying an R8, but now I'm thinking I have a reason to plan on another NSX in my future...

At first I did not like it but its starting to grow on me. I will be waiting for the final production model to come out. Has potential, but I still do not like the beak design.

Thanks for the pics Mitch! Good job.

so it's looking like the original nsx was a home run....

the new one's stuck somewhere around second base (under the shirt,above the bra...)

Yeah I wasn't asking for a 458. But at 150K I think you can make a car that is pretty superb and very close with its driving dynamics. I want the involvement that car produces...

As the successor to a legend and a Halo car, I don't think it should cost what a GTR costs. A 2002 NSX was 90K. It is now 11 years later. Why should it be 90K? Because they will sell more? How many? GTR numbers? R8 numbers? is that a lot? is that what Honda wants? Are they now trying to make a profit in the high end supercar arena? Or do they want a car few can afford, will own, that is dynamic to drive and puts the hurt on Ferrari in magazine reviews and comparisons? An engineering HALO.

That will also ENSURE stable and high prices for current NSX models, and create desirability for the car in the used market, just like with the R8 or any Ferrari.

So only 250 2002 were available or only 250 sold?? There's a difference. I thought dad had to order because he wanted an auto and auto demand was so low they had to be ordered?

Also Illinois and Oh never had a problem but Honda stopped bringing NSX's into Michigan due to low demand/sales but other areas more foreign friendly didn't have the same restrictions. I found that out while price shopping dealers.

We were told 250 imported to the states and that was it. Had to order with no certain he could get it and the auto was not the issue. What you heard makes sense just we were not told about it. Another great stigma for
Michigan and all the muscle heads. Lol

I agree 100% with everything that you've said here. I think it will end up being a GTR-like car where it may inspire a lot of confidence in the driver and be able to pull off lap times faster than the raw specs might dictate, but it won't be as fun to drive as the original.

So if this car is 300 to 500 lbs lighter than GTR, with 450 to 500hp on tab, and a much lower center of gravity... I have to think it will beat GTR in every aspect in terms of performance.

PLUS, if they do deliver so called v8 performance with 4 cylinder fuel economy, I think they'll again set a new benchmark.

so it's looking like the original nsx was a home run....

the new one's stuck somewhere around second base (under the shirt,above the bra...)

the original NSX is a great car, but no home run financially. if it had been, we would be on NSX type 4 or 5 by now. if honda loses money on every 2013 NSX (as they did 1991-2005) then they would have to be morons.
i am betting the corvette zr-1 is the target, and will be about the same price.
it will be as fast or faster, much more refined, and chevrolet will have to respond with a mid-engine corvette or concede the game altogether.
it also would not surprise me to see different engine configurations, say a 400 HP and a 500HP version.

What about with an integrated spoiler :D I know I suck at paint but hey it gets the point across.

395067_10100664310054171_5000185_55134566_2009716473_n.jpg

Last edited:
The McLaren in general looks more like an NSX succsessor than the actual new NSX.

Not surprising though considering the high regard McLaren held the NSX in.

SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!

I really hope they don't call this an NSX, they should call it a NS-Z just like they called the "spiritual successor" to the CRX the CR-Z with its hybrid shenanigans. The whole point of keeping a name-sake is to develop/evolve the car. Porsche knows what this means to people. The McLaren would have fit the NSX formula bill, minus the turbocharging. This concept is so far off the mark that I find calling this thing an NSX hugely offensive. Half of prime has seemed to have jumped on the bandwagon given all the sudden avatar changes, not surprising since they have been starved so long by Honda that any excitement will do. The car looks ok, but I still recognize an R8 when I see one. I think this car has a chance to look good on its own with further development, but seeing those 3 iconic letters leaves a bad taste in my mouth. NS-Z, who's with me???

PS. Those wheels above look great from that view. Now fix the beak and the NS-Z could be alright.

Last edited:
Back