• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Meeyatch1 + Detroit Auto Show Press Day + NSX unveiling = AWESOME!!

I was watching the RDX unveil then for some unknown reason I lost my feed so I missed the NSX unveil. :mad: DAM IT! I managed to get back online when Mr. Ito was standing next to the car, so it wasn't a total loss. I am still pretty enthused about the direction the development is taking.

I find it interesting that there are so many negative comments expressing dissapointment about the amount of information shared. If Acura shows all their cards now, then by the time they get the production line up and running someone else could have taken their ideas and possibly come to market sooner.

I also think that producing the cars here in the US is a good thing! Our unemployment rate could sure use some help. It also opens the possibility of more variant models being available here...Type R or S etc. Don't understimate the skills of our OHIO workforce! :smile:

I think as long as this car has these features, then it is worthy of the name.

Mid Engine Layout
Superior Driver visibility
450+ HP, 400+ TQ
0-60 under 4 secs
Large Brakes - ceramic rotors 4 pot calipers
Under 3200 lbs with good weight distribution
Comfortable Seats/ Sporty Ergonomics
Quiet Cabin - except for that intake growl
Sufficient Trunk space for weekend trips - 2 golf bags
NAVI/BlueTooth/I-pod/USB

The motors will have 100% power on demand. Honda is using a system similar to KERS in Formula 1. They are putting a motor in the gearbox that is parasittic and constantly charges the lithium ion battery pack. So, whenever the engine is running, even in park and neutral, the batteries are always charging. They will make sure to size the battery pack appropriately so that you never drain it fully, even on the track under full-power race conditions.

If its anything like KERS than its nothing more than a button that you press to give you a 5-8 boost in power for a short period. Its kind of like running nitrous that refills itself over time.

This whole charade is a perfect example of function following form.

Lets show the world what it will look like and then design the guts to fit within those parameters, and hope that they dont have to sacrifice performance and function too much.

Is this Honda's new strategy?

I will be at the show Friday night and Saturday. My thoughts from these past 15 pages.

My NSX was in the parking lot of a local brewery Sunday. I sat where I could see the car and see the responses when people walked by. It grabbed people's attention. I have read countless comments on Prime about the timeless design of our NSX.

When I look at the front end of this car, I can be 50 yards away and I will make two quick determinations. 1. That's something I haven't seen before, followed quickly by, 2. Its an Acura.

I am not a "beak" fan. Our NSX was distinctive in side, rear and front views. I see a "new" design, but as some have written here, where is the true NSX line. Where is its individualism? How many years will Acura continue with the "beak"? And when they redesign and move a different direction, does that front end stay with the NSX?

I may have a different opinion this weekend, but for now :confused: :cool:

This whole charade is a perfect example of function following form.

Lets show the world what it will look like and then design the guts to fit within those parameters, and hope that they dont have to sacrifice performance and function too much.

Is this Honda's new strategy?

This is a typical Marketing strategy. Marketing decides what niche they want to capture and then the Engineering Dept tries to come up with all the mechanicals and fit it all within the conceptual shell. Sometimes you have to add some lumps and bumps to fit everything in.

Whatever the case may be, lets just applaud Honda for seeing the errors of its recent past and acknowledging the need for a new halo car. The NSX is THE Japanese Supercar in the eyes of the world. I have faith that they are going to do the name justice.

Exactly! Let's just be happy with the fact that something is happening with the NSX, and that Honda/Acura does genuinely appear to be making a run at getting performance back on the table with this car. I know Honda is doing baseline testing on several exotics at the TRC facility in Ohio to use them as benchmarks for the next NSX. Additionally, the design and engineering teams are VERY excited about this project, and the team I talked to said that they were being allowed to make a car that stirs emotion, passion, and reminds people what Honda/Acura is capable of in the high performance world.

I'll save my applauding for when something actually happens.

Great they've "discovered" their problem. ...but acknowledging is only the first step. You have to take the following steps in the RIGHT direction for there to be progress.

Honda has been dead to many enthusiasts since 2001. Their only saving grace has been the K-series and J-series engines...but even those aren't enough to make up for poor suspension designs, uninspired body designs and sloppy chassis and driver feedback.

Whatever the case may be, lets just applaud Honda for seeing the errors of its recent past and acknowledging the need for a new halo car. The NSX is THE Japanese Supercar in the eyes of the world. I have faith that they are going to do the name justice.

THE Japanese supercar, Honda's halo car, but designed in America and built in Ohio...

Edit:
And before people jump on me for this comment, ask youself this:

Would you buy a Ferrari that was designed and built in Ohio, how about a Lamborghini, or a Porsche?

Would you look at them the same way? Would they still have that Italian flair and seem exotic?

Last edited:
THE Japanese supercar, Honda's halo car, but designed in America and built in Ohio...

Edit:

Would you buy a Ferrari that was designed and built in Ohio, how about a Lamborghini, or a Porsche?

Would you look at them the same way? Would they still have that Italian flair and seem exotic?

+++ Totally agree.

If it was built by skilled people who cared about what they were doing, then yes, absolutely.

A lot of you guys are really down on your fellow Americans. I'd be extremely proud if the new NSX were to be built in my country.

Edit:

Not to be unpatriotic myself, but it's not the principle that worries me, it's the execution of something done in Ohio. Can we yanks assemble a car with decent QC? Maybe. Z06/ZR1 Corvettes don't seem to be lemons these days. There you have it though, that's a national automotive icon that someone in Kentucky takes pride in. I'm not sure it's possible to achieve that dynamic in this country for what, to most people, is a vanilla luxury car brand. Acura Ohio is not Honda Japan.

My concern stems from standing in an Acura showroom that housed a TL (U.S. assembly) and a TSX (Japan assembly). Looking them over, the TL had as much as a 1/2" difference in some panel gaps (hood & trunk in particular). The TSX's panel gaps were consistent enough that I couldn't tell any disparity by looking or running a finger along them.

Maybe it was a "Friday car", maybe it was damaged during delivery, but whatever the reason, there's no excuse. It was a brand new car, in a showroom no less.

Were there any mentions of NSX "Lemons" back in '91 (tire recall aside)? I'm too young to have been reading 'Prime threads/e-mail lists back then.

Last edited:
2011-Dodge-Charger-RT-12.jpg

MclarenMP4-12c1.jpg

imo, i think adding some mclaren like side vents + charger like tail lights would make that nsx successor look more like an nsx successor.....

I have a similar story. The car I had before my 2009 RDX was a 2007 TSX. The TSX was made in Japan and never had so much as a squeak. Fitment was perfect. A real Honda, if you will. By contrast, my American-made RDX fails to impress. About the only good thing about it is the powertrain, which is smooth and trouble free. It's made in Japan. ;)

Not to be unpatriotic myself, but it's not the principle that worries me, it's the execution of something done in Ohio. Can we yanks assemble a car with decent QC? Maybe. Z06/ZR1 Corvettes don't seem to be lemons these days. There you have it though, that's a national automotive icon that someone in Kentucky takes pride in. I'm not sure it's possible to achieve that dynamic in this country for what, to most people, is a vanilla luxury car brand. Acura Ohio is not Honda Japan.

My concern stems from standing in an Acura showroom that housed a TL (U.S. assembly) and a TSX (Japan assembly). Looking them over, the TL had as much as a 1/2" difference in some panel gaps (hood & trunk in particular). The TSX's panel gaps were consistent enough that I couldn't tell any disparity by looking or running a finger along them.

Maybe it was a "Friday car", maybe it was damaged during delivery, but whatever the reason, there's no excuse. It was a brand new car, in a showroom no less.

Were there any mentions of NSX "Lemons" back in '91 (tire recall aside)? I'm too young to have been reading 'Prime threads/e-mail lists back then.

The McLaren in general looks more like an NSX succsessor than the actual new NSX.

Not surprising though considering the high regard McLaren held the NSX in.

i agree.i was hoping the new nsx would look something like the mclaren,which looks modern but clean to me.this new nsx is too busy,no purity of line.i'm underwhelmed with the first look.but at least so far it's not making me contemplate ruining my entire financial situation to get one...

This car was made with the American customer in mind. The Steering wheel is on the left side. it is also a hybrid, making it one of the most expensive ways to save gas. I wonder if what the Honda Japanese version will look like? It has a mid engine layout and pays much homage to the first NSX. Though the visual appearance may bother some, I am satisfied with the overall design. I am glad Honda/Acura fans can obtain a GTR and LFA killer. This also probably means that customers will not see a FR engined HSV type car in showrooms (which I also like a lot).

wow I couldn't be any more disappointed than I am right now. This thing is ugly as hell. It has all the design flaws every single Acura models have these days and none of the classic Honda lines that made them so great.

When the GTR was unveiled several years ago, I hated how different it was to older GTRs but I liked the overall look of the new model. There is nothing I like about this new "NSX". This thing does not deserve its name at all...

First order of business: Thanks, Mitch, for all the great pics. Much appreciated, even though I would have to die and my wife would probably have to spend half the insurance money to afford this thing. I had to wait 20 years for the 91's to fall into my garage toy price range. So I'll be very happy if I ever even get to drive one of the new ones in three or four years. Still, as an NSX owner I have been waiting for something to gell over at the Acura shop. So I'll repeat. Mitch, I appreciate you battling the crowds to bring us some great detail shots.

Second, personal opinion: I like the styling and I think I will like it even more in the flesh (sheetmetal?). Based on my limited experience with SH-AWD in the TL it actually seems like a good marriage to hybrid tech. If the thing has at least 400 hp, weighs less than 3600 pounds, and costs less than 100K, I'll be impressed and I think the market will respond. I don't think this is a Godzilla killa, but something a little more refined with more driver involvement, a halo car to show off Honda's drivetrain engineering chops which they want to feature as green, high performance, efficient.

wow I couldn't be any more disappointed than I am right now. This thing is ugly as hell. It has all the design flaws every single Acura models have these days and none of the classic Honda lines that made them so great.

When the GTR was unveiled several years ago, I hated how different it was to older GTRs but I liked the overall look of the new model. There is nothing I like about this new "NSX". This thing does not deserve its name at all...
You're right! This thing looks ... well too bad for words. My most memorable images of just how good my 91 is:

Having a kid not more than 6 yrs old stop and point at MY 20YR old classic with a dropped mouth. I mean he just stopped a pointed at me as I drove up to a building like he had seen a vision. You'll never have that reaction with this car even new!

Second best was driving to get a starbucks on an early Sun morning. At a stoplight I pulled up next to a brand new Mercedes sedan (S500 series w/sticker in rear window). His ENTIRE familhy in the rear seat plastered themselves against the windows to look at my old classic. NEVER happening with this new edition.

I love it. More than I thought I would. No complaints what so ever. You haters can go buy whatever it is that floats your boats but I now have a reason to look at Honda again. I'm only upset that I'm not in Detroit to drool over this thing.

^Great 1st post. Welcome. :rolleyes:

lol thx

I may have registered only recently but I have been lurking for about a year. About my first post though, don't get me wrong, I am not a Honda/Acura hater, au contraire. I do however hate the direction the company has taken and I wish the NSX had stayed true to its original design by being simple, elegant and timeless. This new NSX design will get old very quickly because of how "extreme" it is (for lack of better word)

I don't wish for the car to fail but so far it's not looking good in my opinion

I love it. More than I thought I would. No complaints what so ever. You haters can go buy whatever it is that floats your boats but I now have a reason to look at Honda again. I'm only upset that I'm not in Detroit to drool over this thing.

I'll get myself an NA1 or NA2, thank you :)

Last edited:
^Great 1st post. Welcome. :rolleyes:

Yea I was thinking the same thing, Welcome :rolleyes:

I still haven't decided if I like this prototype yet, it's simply missing something and thats without comparing it to 91-05 versions

Either way, the beak sucks (Honda/Acura are you listening? )

Admins, can we get a semi-official survey thread with a simple question: Keep the beak - Lose the beak

I'd be curious to see what the final numbers look like.

Last edited:
Hey knuck

Just wondering... If this new "nsx" is ugly as hell, what is that you drive that is so pretty as hell?

Yea I was thinking the same thing, Welcome :rolleyes:

I still haven't decided if I like this prototype yet, it's simply missing something and thats without comparing it to 91-05 versions

Either way, the beak sucks (Honda/Acura are you listening? )

Admins, can we get a semi-official survey thread with a simple question: Keep the beak - Lose the beak

I'd be curious to see what the final numbers look like.

No one likes the beak.

http://jalopnik.com/5716035/half-of-acura-walk+aways-hate-its-newish-nose

Back