• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Men's suits

THIS IS THE FASHION POLICE!!!! lol :D
Hmmm...just wondering what kind of taste people have in here.

Anyway, I'm in the market but I haven't purchased a suit in a while. Been thinking about getting a new one but don't really know what's trendy and what's not. I look through GQ magazines but the suits they have on there would only look good on those anorexic male models or are WAY to expensive. Besides, I probably can't pull off that look anyway. I'm pretty conservative in my taste.

I always get black suits but may deviate from that this time around. I know you should always have one though just in case.

I'm thinking charcoal grey or navy blue. Single breasted and the standard 3 button style. I think double-breasted have been out of fashion for a while.

I usually would go to men's wearhouse but are there any other options out there apart from the malls?

I'm digging this pin-stripe too:
Suit.jpg

This one's nice but don't know about the lapelle though:
1084179909.jpg

Found this site for your reading enjoyment: So You Wanna Buy a Suit?

What do you have in your closet and how many suits do you own?

Last edited:
yes. double breast has been more on the older generation. the newest things have been the single, as well as the 3 button setup. lot of the more modern suits are slimming down the lapel as well (like armani, etc). you'll also find newer suits that sometimes have a 'euro' cut (slimmed into the waist area), and also 3 pockets.

i found that getting any suit, super expensive or cheap... spend the extra money on getting it well tailored. a inexpensive suit, that's WELL tailored looks just as good on a person as a really expensive suit, not well tailored...

for me, i'm almost as small as they come. only fit 36s. and even that is sometimes a bit "loose"... so they're hard to find... gucci and hugo boss have great fitting suits...and yes, pinstripes do rock~!!!

1) versace - 3 button/single breast black
2) gucci - 2 button/single breast pinstripe
3) gucci - 3 button/single breast charcole
4) giorgio armani - 4 button/single breast black (this one has slim lapels)

also, if you get a chance. try to hit up cabazon. SOMETIMES they actually do have nice suits there. i picked up the charcole grey gucci suit there for like under $800. the armani was also from cabazon, a black label for $1300. its not that bad. but hunting for right size and style can be a challenge. its like a luck of the draw deal.

but they have: versace, gucci, armani, hugo boss, etc all there...

happy huntings

Having a wife and two sister-in-laws who are crazy about fashion, and a sister who is in fashion school, I would say that like what JDMnsxR said, the most important thing, IMHO, is to tailor it to fit on your physique. If you do so, you will look like those boys in GQ.

If you have to go for the pinstripe I-banker look, please get the one in which the stripes are subtle that from the distance, you cannot tell that it's there.

Also, please make sure that you get a nice shirt, tie, cuff links (if french cuff)that can go along with your suit. Then, you will be ready to pimp. :biggrin:

I would also suggest Emporio Armani (much less expensive than Giorgio, but I think that it has an excellent quality and is beautifully cut).

Make sure that you take a female along with you when you go shopping ;)

Joel said:
I look through GQ magazines but the suits they have on their would only look good on those anorexic male models or are WAY to expensive.
Anorexic? These guys are all fit and athletic just like the NSX we drive.
Steve

TigerNSX said:
Having a wife and two sister-in-laws who are crazy about fashion...
Can be fatal to your wallet! :biggrin:

I've owned all the famous brand name suits over the years and the most recent suit I bought and like the most was at The Mens Warehouse. I went in there a few years ago to buy some khaki's and ever since I buy all of my shirts, slacks, and jackets there. What I also like is that they will do unlimited alterations of the same kind if you lose/add a few pounds. :redface:

KGP said:
Can be fatal to your wallet! :biggrin:

Please don't ask how many pairs of shoes they have in total ;)

We made a deal, though... Every 99th pair of shoes that she buys, I get one goody for my NSX, which happens quite frequently :biggrin:

In any case, good luck with your new suit, Joel!

On the high end, Black label Zegna suits are quite nice. In the middle area, Jos. A Bank Signature Suits are very nice as well. Once a quarter they have 40-50% off sales. You can pick up $1000 suits for about 600 bucks.

A nice option to get a great suit cheaply is to buy a no-name brand's highest quality materialed suit. I think you can get a120-level materialed suit for under $500 if you buy an off brand.

Last edited:
I really like Zenga and Armani, though I have yet to own one. They seem to fit me very well.. athletic build. I like BOSS also, but if I am going to pay that kind of money, I want it made in Italty and less and less of boss seems to be made in Italy. Yes, I am a clothes snob. I also really like Canali!

There is a 30% sale at Off 5th (saks discount store) this week and I am going to check out some suits and blazers tomorrow.

I currently own a few Austin Reed Suits and they seem to be pretty nice and fit me well. Dillards often has some really nice sales on these suits.

I really like Hickey Freeman, Hart Schaeffer Marx, Hugo Boss, Burberry, and Ralph Lauren. Unfortunatly, I have to wear a suit to work every day so Ive kind of gotten "into" the dressing up thing. I was always a t-shirt and jeans type of guy but what are you going to do. I always buy pinstripes suits or sold navy blues; they look more professional than others in my opinion. I have some lighter colored suits for summer and spring. Its easy for me to shop being that im a 44 regular-pretty common size. Thanks for letting me ramble...

if you are looking at possibly getting a "designer" label I would almost advise against it and get a fully tailored suit. They may cost a little bit more but are worth every penny. The fit of the tailored suit I have fits me better than any other article of clothing I own, I would wear it every day if i could.

A fully tailored suit you pick the patterns, cloth style etc. the rest is taking a million measurements around your body getting a suit jacket and pants that fit you so well you will not even realize they are on. Same goes for the shirts. Suits will run you anywhere from 2-20 grand and shirts range around the 200-300 range.

I just picked up 2 more "name brand" suits by Paul Zileri one blue and the other tan. They were reasonably priced in the low 1000's

I am young tho only 23 so only own 3 suits total but enjoy dressing up for meetings. I believe suits are something in the wardrobe not to spare any expense. My suggestion would be go with a navy suit and get some good lighter bown shoes to wear with them... Mezlan is a good brand a great brand and fits my feet quite well... they offer somewhat trendy look in some of their styles:cool:

I suppose I am old school, but I seems to gravitate towards Brooks Brothers. They seem more 'classicly styled' to me.

I have a nice 3 pc. that I bring out every now and then. :wink:
Now that I am 35lbs lighter, I will be looking for some new threads as well.

DocL 100% with you on the Men's Warehouse.
They stocked the dressy mens vests (Sweaters and Suit filler) when everyone else had none. The Vest are awesome when you want to appear Dressed up without the Jacket. You can walk into a Board Meeting and still fit the part.
Good post.. Nice to see so many stylish people.

Don't forget the nice Shoes/Belt to go with the suit.
I am partial to the well wearing Allen Edmonds.

As the resident cheap ass I'll mention K&G warehouse, or similar. Get a $200 suit one size too big and pay for a decent alteration. 80% of the tailered effect for 20% of the cost.

Of course my suit is used for weddings, funerals, and the occasional dressy party. If I had to wear a suit every day I might have higher standards. OTOH, if I had to wear a suit every day I might kill myself :) Definitely a jeans and polo kinda guy.

My size is kind of in between (41S to 41R) so it's kind of tough for me to get designer suits in the US. Therefore, during my trip to Hong Kong, I took some of the fashion magazines to my tailor and have him made me a couple (charcoal and Navy with pinstripe, single breast, 3 button slim cut w/ slant pockets) and 4 shirts. The frabric is wool X cashmire (spelling?), which is very soft and resist wrinkle. The shirts are made of italian cotton.

I got all these for approximately $550. I have never found any suit that fit me this well in the states. I still love my Hugo Boss, but it's not as sharp looking and the new ones I got from Hong Kong. I just love them.

You might want to try tailor-making some suits.

MiamieNeSeX said:
Just like F.I. hmmm seems a pattern is forming :)

Armando

Actually, I have no suits by them (a lot of money for something I really don't need), but I do own Armani, Zegna, Boss, Aboud, and Canali shirts and ties and lots of Zanella pants, Versace and Zegna Jeans.

I have a hard time with suits because I am a 44R top and a 33 waist. I need massive alterations as most 44R suits have a 36-38 waist.

As for FI, I can change that.... and soon. You, on the otherhand, will always be a tool. ;) How is your bbsc doing by the way?

Last edited:
NetViper said:
As for FI, I can change that.... and soon. You, on the otherhand, will always be a tool. ;) How is your bbsc doing by the way?

Why did you edit "ASS" to "TOOL" writing checks you can,t cash again?

Armando
PS Thanks for your concern regarding my BBSC, its running as good as it did 35,000 miles ago., but please stay on Topic.

MiamieNeSeX said:
Why did you edit "ASS" to "TOOL" writing checks you can,t cash again?

I thought ass was offensive and wouldn't be taken as a joke, so I changed it, but if the shoe fits.... :wink:

Back