• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Michigan check-in & spotting by blodi pt.2

Sounds like it's you Hass! haha.
Is there going to be a spring Belle Isle event?

Waiting for some bits of hardware to show up to get my car back together. Just ordered new rear tires today. Hopefully I'll have the car back together by the end of this weekend.

Wednesday will mark 10 years since I bought the car! Hard to believe.

View attachment 133498

Dang Blodi.............you appear really young and "clean-cut" in that photo.... :smile: Our NSX's are keepers!

Looking at weather for this weekend Saturday appears the better day. Anyone interested in a 2-3 hour drive into SW Washtenaw County (i.e. the Macon, Tecumseh, Manchester, Bridgewater, Saline route)?

Also, the first Baker's Cruise-In should be Sunday afternoon, however it appears rain showers may dampen that. :frown:

Hi all,

Next week my wife & I are making the move to Michigan (Clinton Township, about 45 minutes NE of Detroit). Any recommendations on the best place to get my NSX serviced? Looking forward to the drive, right up until I hit the Michigan roads! Thanks in advance for pointing me towards a good NSX tech.

Richard

Hi alum04org, I'm interested in a drive Sat. It looks like it's going to be pretty nice.

Also, I plan to stop by Baker's on Sunday afternoon, but may not stay long if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Anyone know the date of the Belle Isle spring event?

Richard the previous owner of my Nsx used to take it to Acura on gratiot in Roseville. They did WP and TB for him, I also had an oil change done there once. That's my only feedback for the local dealerships

Hi Richard,

Welcome to Michigan and I wish you well on your move.

For any serious service I would recommend Source 1 Automotive in Maineville, OH. Unfortunately this is about a 4 hour drive from Metro Detroit, but the owner (Brian) is an active poster on this board, President of the NSXCA, and has extensive service experience in these cars. I'm unaware of anyone closer with the same level of service experience as his shop.

Welcome Richard,

Locally there is only one person who has ever touched my NSX (/94 acquired November 2009 at 18,800 miles from gentleman in Phoenix, AZ, now 50,500 miles) -- Mike Michalik at Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills. He is the lead tech there and has extensive NSX experience. He is excellent. Source One is also excellent from what I hear (alumo4org can weigh in on that).

Best,
Jeff

Speaking of Suburban Acura.....

Last weekend I got the NSX out of storage and drove it for about 30 minutes. It ran fine at first but after 15 minutes or so started missing or bogging down about 2-3k rpm then would start running good again above that. That was just before I got home so I didn't think too much of it.

The next day we headed out to meet Neal for C&C in Toledo. It ran fine the first 15 minutes then started missing when I got off the freeway. Sounded like it backfired once or twice and was missing. I turned around and headed home and got maybe 3 miles when it quit running completely. It would turn over but wouldn't fire. I had it towed home. That was a week ago, I was just getting ready today to arrange to have it towed over to Suburban to have them look at when... I tried to start it just to see and it started right up.

Now I'm confused, does anyone have suggestions for things I should look at. I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road again, I would rather just pay and have a flatbed take it there than chance have it die on me on the way there.

Thanks,
Bob

I am sorry if I missed it but have we started doing Wednesdays at CJ's this season ? When is the next one ? Would love to meet with the crew here !

Last edited:
Hi all,

Next week my wife & I are making the move to Michigan (Clinton Township, about 45 minutes NE of Detroit). Any recommendations on the best place to get my NSX serviced? Looking forward to the drive, right up until I hit the Michigan roads! Thanks in advance for pointing me towards a good NSX tech.

Richard

WELCOME Richard! Always great to have new NSX's incoming. Look forward to meeting you and seeing your NSX. Suburban Acura, Farmington Hills, MI, technician Mike Michalik. Be certain if/when you first call them to arrange your service appointment you request that he, and only he, perform your NSX servicing.

Hi alum04org, I'm interested in a drive Sat. It looks like it's going to be pretty nice.

Also, I plan to stop by Baker's on Sunday afternoon, but may not stay long if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Anyone know the date of the Belle Isle spring event?

Hey Bob, as we discussed at CJ's last evening, looking at meeting around 2:45 PM Saturday afternoon at the US-23 and Plymouth Road Park-N-Ride, exit 41 off US-23 on Ann Arbor's northeast side.

Welcome Richard,

Locally there is only one person who has ever touched my NSX (/94 acquired November 2009 at 18,800 miles from gentleman in Phoenix, AZ, now 50,500 miles) -- Mike Michalik at Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills. He is the lead tech there and has extensive NSX experience. He is excellent. Source One is also excellent from what I hear (alumo4org can weigh in on that).

Best,
Jeff

Agree, Jeff! :smile:

Last weekend I got the NSX out of storage and drove it for about 30 minutes. It ran fine at first but after 15 minutes or so started missing or bogging down about 2-3k rpm then would start running good again above that. That was just before I got home so I didn't think too much of it.

The next day we headed out to meet Neal for C&C in Toledo. It ran fine the first 15 minutes then started missing when I got off the freeway. Sounded like it backfired once or twice and was missing. I turned around and headed home and got maybe 3 miles when it quit running completely. It would turn over but wouldn't fire. I had it towed home. That was a week ago, I was just getting ready today to arrange to have it towed over to Suburban to have them look at when... I tried to start it just to see and it started right up.

Now I'm confused, does anyone have suggestions for things I should look at. I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road again, I would rather just pay and have a flatbed take it there than chance have it die on me on the way there.

Thanks,
Bob

Wow, Rob, sounds serious. I'm hamfisted and challenged mechanically so the first thing I would do is strap my OBD-II interrogation device up to the NSX and see if any codes are being displayed (whether a CEL - check engine light - is displaying or not). Also, give Brian - sca037 - a telephone call as he is VERY knowledgeable about NSX's and currently he is not able to post on NSXPrime.

I am sorry if I missed it but have we started doing Wednesdays at CJ's this season ? When is the next one ? Would love to meet with the crew here !

Yes, we huddle at CJ's each Wednesday around 5pm year-round :biggrin: Join us for a local drive this Saturday?

Thanks,
Bob

Bad gas? Did you put stabilizer in the fuel before winter? Try topping it off with some fresh fuel?

I did put stabilizer in it. So I just try running it for a while?

Yes, we huddle at CJ's each Wednesday around 5pm year-round :biggrin: Join us for a local drive this Saturday?

Sounds good ! I'll drop by next week. I am driving down to Chicago this weekend, but would love to join on the next drive ! :smile:

Bob, it's not happened to me YET.......but maybe check your Main Relay to see if it's starting to go wonky?

Ravi, I just met up with your pal Tommy and mentioned that you guys should join us on a Wednesday sometime when the weather is nicer!

Neal- it seems that I CAN post to Prime on my laptop, so it's just my Work computer that is having the issue. Maybe it's a Firefox browser thing ???

Brian

Bob, it's not happened to me YET.......but maybe check your Main Relay to see if it's starting to go wonky?

Brian

Good idea. That and the ignition switch...not a bad idea to replace both. Also, make sure your battery cables are nice and tight. I've had mine die on me when the cables were just a tad
loose.

Richard, there has been some turnover in the service writer department at Suburban Acura in Farmington Hills. When you call ask to speak with Allison Jacobs -- tell her you know some of the NSX guys including Jeff Z. She will take good care of you whether to indicate the foregoing or not but it won't hurt to drop my name. I'm a long time customer and Allison knows me and my Dad very well since we both have Gen III TLs that were bought and serviced for many years at Suburban as well as my NSX that has been through that shop a number of times. She is also aware that Mike Michalik and I are good friends aside from our professional relationship. Allison does not typically do the upsell routine with me which I appreciate.

Oops, almost forgot I no longer have my TL (best car I ever had - 9 years/140,000 miles and only approx. $1,000 in repairs -- wish I hadn't sold it -- now daily driving a /15 Audi A6 3.0T but under no illusions -- its no Honda/Acura and although a lovely car in a different class than the TL I have no intentions of owning it for very long if at all after warranty expiration).

Looking forward to meeting you.

Best,
Jeff

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks,
Bob

Bob,

I'm out of town at moment but back late Saturday night. Doesn't sound like bad gas to me but you never know -- mine sat all winter with a full tank of Costco gas and fired up and has been running with no issues. I have a new main relay in the center console of the NSX -- you are welcome to try it out if you want to meet up Sunday and grab it from me. Just shoot me a PM or email me -- will be traveling Saturday.

Best,
Jeff

I met Alison today when I dropped mine off. Was that your red one in the service bay Jeff?

I met Alison today when I dropped mine off. Was that your red one in the service bay Jeff?

Happy because it sounds as if you were able to drive your NSX there RobM, rather than tow/flatbed it. :cool:

I was into Suburban Acura/Honda yesterday for a silly sales promotion ("hook") offer - visited with Mike Michalik and saw Jeff Z's (Bavaria) red NSX with the "Tustin Acura" license plate holder inside the service bay... Noted they now have a female service advisor. Hmmmm, must be Allison.

RE: Little drive tomorrow, believing we'll move it up to 1245 or 145 pm meet due to weather-guessers now forecasting rain moving in 4-5 P.M. How nice. :frown:

Would love to join but stuck doing b.s.

Baker's start on Sunday? Hmmmmm.....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Actually I had it flatbedded which turned out to be the best option. Yesterday it started so today I tried to start it just to get it out of the barn for the flatbed and nothing, turns over but wouldn't fire. I'm tied up all weekend so no cruising for us, have fun.

Yes, mine. Was away this week so left it with Mike for a general look-over after the winter. Total damage per Allison's call late this afternoon -- $49. It is no Porsche, thank God. I hope Mike gets yours sorted out. Aside from possible main relay does kind of sound like could be fuel delivery issue. These cars are so sweet things that go wrong are usually not catastrophic unless car has been modified. Fingers crossed.

Allison is a sweetheart. Be glad that you will not have the pleasure of meeting service writer Dean who departed some years ago -- good riddance -- guy belonged at a used car lot on 8 Mile Road in my opinion.

Best,
Jeff

Got 105 miles in yesterday with 2011 Lotus Evora, 2000 Silverstone/Onyx 6 spd, 1991 Lovefab turbo red NSX, and 1999 Lotus Esprit V-8 TT. Rain moved in earlier than forecasted (of course :mad: ) so we didn't complete "the southern loop."

Thanks for coming out Brennan, Amy, Nick, Bob, Nic and Amanda!

Don't know yet about Baker's today - weather still bad. Update from their website at 1:00 P.M: "Due To Poor Weather Conditions...
Today's Car Show Is Cancelled"

Attachments

• 2016-4-30 Drive 1.JPG
    2016-4-30 Drive 1.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2016-4-30 Drive 2.JPG
    2016-4-30 Drive 2.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 2016-4-30 Drive 3 Brdgwtr Bank.JPG
    2016-4-30 Drive 3 Brdgwtr Bank.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Picked it up tonight, it was a bad fuel pump. Is anyone doing anything this weekend?

Last edited:
Rob, it's good that your car is fixed....I think that's a somewhat unusual failure so we'll have to remember it. It's supposed to be a nice weekend, too bad we're booked solid!

Nick, I jumped on that- so thanks ;^D

Back