• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Might have to rethink DD my NSX

I was always under impression that SoCal has great car culture that translates to how people treat driving. That is until I moved here. Now I'd like to dd diesel raptor with heavy duty aftermarket bumpers. Too bad they don't bother to put at least ecoboost in it.

I don't drive my '91 nearly as much as I should and during the somewhat short stints I have it on the road, I almost always have a near miss (more correctly, near hit). It's absolutely maddening.

I never fully appreciated how awful U.S. drivers were until I was stationed in Europe. When I moved back to the states I was absolutely appalled to see at how poorly disciplined US drivers were AND THIS WAS OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO! Since then it's only gotten worse with the proliferation of the cell phone. There's a great article in the August issue of Road & Track called Overwhelmed and Undertrained which highlights the lack of proper driving training for teenage drivers here in the US but in my opinion, I think we all could stand a refresher course!

This is why I mostly drive my NSX at the track, it's a heck of a lot safer. ;)

I just got my 91 NSX, so my thoughts may change over time.

However, my thoughts echo a lot of the sentiments posted previously here. This has been my dream car since I was a child. Up until I bought it, I planned on daily driving it, commuting to work in it, etc.

But after the work and hunt of getting one, and finally finding an unmolested one with 36k miles on the clock, I am hesitant to drive her around daily due to two main reasons:

1) I'm afraid, that as reliable as this car is, something will fail and leave me stranded in rush hour traffic
2) Careless drivers deem their angry birds round is more important than the safety of others around them, and will total my 36k mile '91 with *plenty* of life left in her. This would make me insanely angry, and sad.

I've learned to drive mine like it was a motorcycle. Other drivers just don't anticipate seeing just the roof of our very low cars in their mirrors and the the ones texting/talking on their cell phones just don't care or see anything. So, just like riding a motorcycle you have to assume the worst of every car or truck around you.

Back