• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Mix and Match Tires...

Does anyone run different tires on the fronts only? I usually always match them up, but lately been on a budget for tires, and found some good deals but different brands as the QTY is only 1 per..

I'm not looking for any super type performance at this time either by having matching brands, but just wondering if anyone does or feedback..?

Not worried about the rears as they are still new. thanks

I have yokohamas on the front and potenzas on the back. I dont have any problems, but then again I drive like a grandma. just be sure to stay within spec's or you will lose HP if your rear wheels are even a little bit too big

if you not driving the car, I guessed it would be fine...

or else, it's a disaster waiting to happen, at that point, any damage will be more than the money you saved. If the tires are that cheap, then why don't you just buy a pair?

Honestly I would buy a pair (even a set.) Different tires have different dynamics. Its the emergency situations that require predictable handling that make that tricky.

I'd even buy slightly used ones of eBay if I had to before mixing.

if you not driving the car, I guessed it would be fine...

or else, it's a disaster waiting to happen, at that point, any damage will be more than the money you saved. If the tires are that cheap, then why don't you just buy a pair?
The ideal approach is to use four tires that match (same make and model). If you can't do that, then it's essential to have four tires whose performance characteristics are as close to each other as possible, so that the handling is predictable.

Let's look at an example and you can see how mismatched tires are a problem. Let's say you have different tires on the front vs rear of an NSX. On the front, you have the Falken Azenis RT-615, which is incredibly sticky on dry pavement, but is mediocre in rain. On the rear, you have the Kumho SPT, a budget tire that is just okay on dry pavement, but is excellent in rain. As you're driving down the road on a nice day, the front tires will grip better than the rear. As a result, the car has a tendency to "oversteer", meaning that, if you take a turn too quickly or too suddenly, the rear end has a tendency to swing around on you, causing the car to spin. What's worse is that the handling can then change if it starts to rain; then, the rear end grips better than the front, and when you turn the steering wheel to try to take a corner, the car has a tendency to "plow" and go straight ahead instead of going where you turn it. Unpredictable handling can be even worse - in fact, much worse - if you mix tires on the same axle, which I don't recommend at all.

In order to prevent this from happening, you need to have tires that all match, or are as close in performance as possible. That does NOT mean that the brand needs to match! If you have, say, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, a top-of-the-line summer tire, on one end of the car, your best bet would be to use the same tire on the other end, but if not, you would be much better off with a similar tire, such as the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, that brand's top summer tire, than with a dissimilar tire, such as a Goodyear RS-A, a moderately-priced all-season tire.

If you have high-performance tires on some of your wheels, don't put cheap, low-performance tires on other wheels on the same car.

I would not run different tires from side to side. Front to back is a bit of a debate, but not nearly as bad as side to side.

I think side to side is a bad idea. Who would want different grip on the left vs. right? I could see this as a big potential problem in everyday driving. Drive a S-curve and have more grip on one side than another?

As for front/back - I agree with above posts that it is not optimum. But we know many here have done this or are doing it now. The tire wear is very different and some sizes are getting very difficult to find now. My car came with Michelin Pilot SP Sport on the front and Dunlop on the rear. I was very cautious for a long time. Replaced the Dunlops with Kumho, then eventually the Michelins with Kumho. Finally I have matched tires. But the car behaved reasonably well throughout.

My car came with Michelin Pilot SP Sport on the front and Dunlop on the rear. I was very cautious for a long time. Replaced the Dunlops with Kumho, then eventually the Michelins with Kumho.
Again, what needs to be matched as closely as possible are the performance characteristics, not the brands.

The ideal approach is to use four tires that match (same make and model). If you can't do that, then it's essential to have four tires whose performance characteristics are as close to each other as possible, so that the handling is predictable.

Let's look at an example and you can see how mismatched tires are a problem. Let's say you have different tires on the front vs rear of an NSX. On the front, you have the Falken Azenis RT-615, which is incredibly sticky on dry pavement, but is mediocre in rain. On the rear, you have the Kumho SPT, a budget tire that is just okay on dry pavement, but is excellent in rain. As you're driving down the road on a nice day, the front tires will grip better than the rear. As a result, the car has a tendency to "oversteer", meaning that, if you take a turn too quickly or too suddenly, the rear end has a tendency to swing around on you, causing the car to spin. What's worse is that the handling can then change if it starts to rain; then, the rear end grips better than the front, and when you turn the steering wheel to try to take a corner, the car has a tendency to "plow" and go straight ahead instead of going where you turn it. Unpredictable handling can be even worse - in fact, much worse - if you mix tires on the same axle, which I don't recommend at all.

In order to prevent this from happening, you need to have tires that all match, or are as close in performance as possible. That does NOT mean that the brand needs to match! If you have, say, the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, a top-of-the-line summer tire, on one end of the car, your best bet would be to use the same tire on the other end, but if not, you would be much better off with a similar tire, such as the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A Pole Position, that brand's top summer tire, than with a dissimilar tire, such as a Goodyear RS-A, a moderately-priced all-season tire.

If you have high-performance tires on some of your wheels, don't put cheap, low-performance tires on other wheels on the same car.

I agree with everything NSXtasy says however I say you CAN mix and match if you know what you're doing.

The example he gives clearly shows you a method to tune the handling characteristics of your car. Maybe you want more oversteer. . .maybe you want less. . . Changing tires will do that.

There are better ways to do tune it, just know that by mixing tires you're adding yet another variable to your handling characteristics.

Back