• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Money best spent

Today I have my one-year follow-up appointment with the doctor who did my Lasik. Happy to report that I still am thrilled with the results. I did my research and used a well reputed doc (he's the preferred doctor of local professional sports teams). I went with an "intra-lase" procedure where a laser is used to cut the flap on the eye and also perform the prescription. My procedure ran around $3k as I recall. No regrets.

Ok, so I won't say this is THE best money spent, but I will say this is amazing bang for the buck. For a cheap $10 I can't being to tell you how much use I have gotten out of this. Basically it's a magnetic door catch that you put on something like a garage door. On my garage door I have a spring return hinge which will always close the door, which is very handy. But when my hands are full, like bringing in groceries, there is no easy way to keep the door open. This awesome device not only works as a door stop to protect your walls but if you push your door into it, it will automatically catch and hold it. Then just pull hard enough to break the magnetic connection and my spring loaded door will close itself. Imagine a hand full of bags and groceries, opening the door, pushing it with your foot, the door holding, then grabbing some more bags. When done tug on the door and have it close by itself. One of those gizmos that's totally worth every penny.

door-stop-266185x.jpg

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/product/magnetic-door-stop.do

My first MR2. When I bought it in 85 it was $13,000.00 and with my trade in I got a 4 year loan with payments of $220.00 and month. I used the car for work and my average monthly reimbursement was $400.00 and my gas bill average was $90.00. If you do the math I had $90.00 extra every month, so I was making money on the car every month. Then it got better after the loan was paid off, then I was making $310.00 a month on the car. I had the car for 10 years so I made lots of money from the it. The best part was getting $2,000.00 when I sold it with 220,000 miles on it. This was the lowest maintenance car I have ever owned. I only had to take it in for service every 60K at about $200.00. The fuel pump was replaced at 120k and the clutch at 140k and are the only other times it was in the shop. I did my own oil changes and brakes. The Goodyear Eagle GT tires would last between 50K and 60K miles. This was the best money (13K) ever spent:biggrin:

Back