• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Motor Trend - New NSX 11/22/2010

Lud actually picked up a magazine in Japan during NSX Fiesta that had a few more pics and a side view (maybe he can post it up). The side view showed it more resembles a Ferrari 458.

FWIW, all of the Honda brass (current and former) indicated during Fiesta that there are no plans for another Honda sports car. :(

I hope they were being misleading.

Lud actually picked up a magazine in Japan during NSX Fiesta that had a few more pics and a side view (maybe he can post it up). The side view showed it more resembles a Ferrari 458.

FWIW, all of the Honda brass (current and former) indicated during Fiesta that there are no plans for another Honda sports car. :(

That would have been a great place to announce something cool. That isn't a good sign.:frown:

saw this and was going to post it but I see I'm really slow.

but anyway, I do have my doubts since such news should be all over the place but isn't. Only found it at Motor Trend.

and I agree with posts, it does look like a mixture of Ferrrari 458, Audi R8, and current NSX.

Here's hoping they make it but I hope they don't stick to the idea of AWD. That's boring, and I don't mind a V6 if it means price is good.

What kind of engine will it have? They were going to have a V-10, but according to a recent leftlane article they are switching to a V-6. They also said it might be hybrid....god i hope not...I hate hybrid sports cars with a passion. How much are you really cutting from emissons with a super low production sports car that will be driven rarely, compared to a fully V-6 powered car? A extremly small amount, not worth it at all

Last edited:

exactly you all were in the right place at the right time,with the right people....if nothing was hinted at to garner some buz then this report is just hot air.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no truth in that (NSX)article. I'll leave it as that.

Mike

Bummer, bummer,

if that's all true...

which I don't doubt...:frown:

the wife saw the pictures and loved it, instantly...(not even a debate)

too good to be true...

I would love for Honda to built their version of an R8....

all GASOLINE power, thank you...

no electrical boast assistance please...

:rolleyes:

True to form "Honda the killer of dreams":frown:

True to form "Honda the killer of dreams":frown:

Perhaps... We know Honda is working on a new V6 and a new hybrid drive system. This could be talk of a concept vehicle instead of a production vehicle. If I were Honda, I would not confirm it at this point either. I would wait and watch how the market is doing.

Perhaps... We know Honda is working on a new V6 and a new hybrid drive system. This could be talk of a concept vehicle instead of a production vehicle. If I were Honda, I would not confirm it at this point either. I would wait and watch how the market is doing.

If you "were" Honda this conversation wouldn't be necessary as it would already be on the road:biggrin:

Honda won't say anything as it's free advertisement ,but these two things should be done.

1. The malfeasance who wrote this should be flogged openly.
2. Anyone who spreads false rumors of another NSX should be beaten then sued.

Following these two things will keep us from having these "Aha got you" threads.

I guess people just make stuff up as they go along. Every new article is adding their own twist to the story!

Urehara said to me when we were at the NSX refresh building,
"No more sports cars' and gestured "no" with his hands at the same time.

This is just tabloid speculation. It's about selling magazines not truth or accuracy.

Pbassjo,
Was there any discussion of the HSV at the 20th Anniversary event? Did they have any of the HSV-GT10 SuperGT vehicles on hand?

I find it astounding that Urehara could make a statement as bold as " no more sports cars."

Did he mean…

- While Ito-san is CEO?

- Honda will only be pursuing mild-sports vehicles (e.g., CR-Z) and will remain open to additional mild-sports vehicles (e.g. an accord based Prelude model)

- Honda has moved beyond the era of purely internal combustion sports cars will only pursue sports vehicles that have hybrid or purely electric drivetrains.

Last year Toyota's CEO Akio Toyoda made a statement to the effect that competition is beginning to heat up from countries outside of the traditional developed automobile producing nations (Japan, Germany, and America), and that competition is now coming from developing nations (South Korea and China), that are capable or soon capable of producing vehicles at a lower cost that are equally reliant and efficient to there Japanese counterparts. Akio then went on to say that Toyota would have to pursue a strategy of product differentiation by producing unique vehicles that speak to a consumer's emotions. Henceforth, we have the LFA and FT86.

Honda has already moved in the direction of a product lineup that is share by a few high volume vehicles (Accord, Civic, Fit, Odyssey) and large number of lower volume niche vehicles (Crosstour, CR-Z, Element, FCX Clarity, Insight and Ridgeline).

In looking at the large number of low-volume niche vehicle Honda is currently producing, making a couple performance oriented vehicles as Toyota has doesn't seem that far fetched.

Pbassjo,
Was there any discussion of the HSV at the 20th Anniversary event?.

No, not that I heard.

Did they have any of the HSV-GT10 SuperGT vehicles on hnd?

If they did they didn't show them to us.

I find it astounding that Urehara could make a statement as bold as " no more sports cars.".

Well he did and emphatically so.

Did he mean…

- While Ito-san is CEO?

He made no reference to the CEO and to that I'm not surprised. I think that would be out of character for him to do so.

- Honda will only be pursuing mild-sports vehicles (e.g., CR-Z) and will remain open to additional mild-sports vehicles (e.g. an accord based Prelude model)

- Honda has moved beyond the era of purely internal combustion sports cars will only pursue sports vehicles that have hybrid or purely electric drivetrains.

Perhaps you may see him at some future NSX event and you can ask.

Last year Toyota's CEO Akio Toyoda made a statement to the effect that competition is beginning to heat up from countries outside of the traditional developed automobile producing nations (Japan, Germany, and America), and that competition is now coming from developing nations (South Korea and China), that are capable or soon capable of producing vehicles at a lower cost that are equally reliant and efficient to there Japanese counterparts. Akio then went on to say that Toyota would have to pursue a strategy of product differentiation by producing unique vehicles that speak to a consumer's emotions. Henceforth, we have the LFA and FT86.

Honda has already moved in the direction of a product lineup that is share by a few high volume vehicles (Accord, Civic, Fit, Odyssey) and large number of lower volume niche vehicles (Crosstour, CR-Z, Element, FCX Clarity, Insight and Ridgeline).

In looking at the large number of low-volume niche vehicle Honda is currently producing, making a couple performance oriented vehicles as Toyota has doesn't seem that far fetched.

I did not interview Mr. Urehara and I'm not sure he would consent to a interview not that I have any interest in doing so. We were his and Honda's guests and I think to speculate with them about their positioning in the market, their goals and to compare them to their competition in that setting would not have been appropriate and likely seen as rude.

To add to what Joe stated, I spoke with a gentlemen who seemed to be working somewhere in Honda management. I commented on his excellent English and his response was that there wasn't going to be another Honda sports car. I said that I had read that and that everyone was extremely disappointed. He wished it wasn't the case either. Really nice guy.

I was told later that he had campaigned long and hard for the NSX program. Saw him the next day on the Shinkensen and we greeted each other. Turns out he is the former President and CEO of Honda.

Well they've surely had time to see what's on the horizon with other sports car manufacturers. Porsche has an exotic hybrid racer and the new 918 V8 on the way so this is not something totally new but it's great that Honda hasn't given up. I'm excited to see Honda join the sports car market - it's about time! Let's hope this doesn't stop at an artist rendition and lip service. I would think AWD would be right for the car. Let's keep our fingers crossed and thanks to the OP for finding this and posting! It gives us die hards a little excitement!

Thank you Joe and Ponyboy. It's nice to see some non-speculative info here, though it is disappointing. We know for sure that Honda is working on a brand new V6 to replace the J-series, which has been its workhorse since the late 90's. The new V6 will be smaller, more efficient and specifically designed to work with (and without) Honda's new hybrid electric motor system with both manual and automatic/manumatic transmissions. Honda is betting on this new powertrain to become the base of its entire lineup. Coupled with SH-AWD, it will be the base for the Acura line as well.

I suspect someone from MT was speaking to a Honda engineer who is working on this new powertrain and that engineer probably said something along the lines of "well, if we decided to do another sports car, we would probably use this new system and just do a mid-engine layout based on the accord platform." The MT guy just left out the "if we decide" part. :D

That's generous, I tend to think they read this boring press release:
http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=938215
and decided to make something up that would sell some magazines. :biggrin:

What's interesting is that the VTec.net guys reminded me that Ito himself said "no ev's" and there he was debuting the new Fit EV. So maybe just ol'jarhead will reverse himself once again:wink:

I've heard before that there are higher ups in Honda that are still fighting for the NSX.

have you seen what Honda (& Acura) has been putting out there lately? This rendition blows the entire existing lineup away. Period.

YES...I am sick of the "smiling robot" front end that all the Acuras seem to share now. What was the design team doing, listening to Styx's "Mr. Roboto" while tripping acid???

Back