• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

my 97 Targa barn find....sort of

I dont plan on putting any miles on it until the belt gets done. I am just trying to decide if I want to do it myself or get it done.

I got an estimate of $1298 to do the belts and water pump. All OEM parts. Seems a bit pricey.

Amazing "find". I think your Dad was just hinting at you to take his car.

Good on you for "taking one for the team".

Congrats!

I dont plan on putting any miles on it until the belt gets done. I am just trying to decide if I want to do it myself or get it done.

I got an estimate of $1298 to do the belts and water pump. All OEM parts. Seems a bit pricey.

$1298 to do TB/WP (assuming by a qualified tech) with OEM parts is actually not bad.

I am going to call him next week and talk to I'm about the job.thanks for the advice on the tensioner.

Success. I got back from a week of vacation and my fuel pump and filter had arrived in the mail. Put it all back together and she fired up and ran beautifully. I only had 87 non ethanol at the house, so I took it to a station and filled it up with 93 non ethanol. Everything seem to be working as it should except the fuel gauge. It was pretty crusty, and I cleaned it up as best I could, but corrosion may have done it in. It would not go higher than 3/4 when I filled it up. I will see if it gets better with some use, but it will probably need to be replaced. Easy enough to replace.

Next on the list is the timing belt and fluids.

Success. I got back from a week of vacation and my fuel pump and filter had arrived in the mail. Put it all back together and she fired up and ran beautifully. I only had 87 non ethanol at the house, so I took it to a station and filled it up with 93 non ethanol. Everything seem to be working as it should except the fuel gauge. It was pretty crusty, and I cleaned it up as best I could, but corrosion may have done it in. It would not go higher than 3/4 when I filled it up. I will see if it gets better with some use, but it will probably need to be replaced. Easy enough to replace.

Next on the list is the timing belt and fluids.

Where in SC are you? if you're close to Augusta. look up Larry at Acura of Augusta. Under 1300 is not a bad price for the work.

That stale gas stunk up my garage for several days! I ordered a new sender, just to be on the safe side.

Chudson, I am in the upstate. I spoke the mechanic/owner at 1st class HALT and he seems to know the NSX pretty well, so I am going to give them a try. Basically, 2k to flush brake fluid (including ABS), adjust valves, replace cover gaskets, WP and timing belts. A few years ago, I would have done it myself, but for some reason I am just not motivated. Probably the heat!

That stale gas stunk up my garage for several days! I ordered a new sender, just to be on the safe side.

Chudson, I am in the upstate. I spoke the mechanic/owner at 1st class HALT and he seems to know the NSX pretty well, so I am going to give them a try. Basically, 2k to flush brake fluid (including ABS), adjust valves, replace cover gaskets, WP and timing belts. A few years ago, I would have done it myself, but for some reason I am just not motivated. Probably the heat!

Emac - you may also want to talk with Eiffel Chin at Eifels Place just north of Atlanta. Maybe a fit farther but he's really good with NSXs and very trustworthy. I drove over from AIKEN after I bought mine because of his reputation and was not disappointed.

Emac - you may also want to talk with Eiffel Chin at Eifels Place just north of Atlanta. Maybe a fit farther but he's really good with NSXs and very trustworthy. I drove over from AIKEN after I bought mine because of his reputation and was not disappointed.

I second this. Eiffel and his crew did an engine out with mine as it needed more attention than just a TB/WP. The turn around time and ease of communication was second to none.

If I were closer I would give them a try. The place I am going seems pretty knowledgeable about the NSX details, and this should be a pretty straight forward job. Fingers crossed.

If I were closer I would give them a try. The place I am going seems pretty knowledgeable about the NSX details, and this should be a pretty straight forward job. Fingers crossed.

Mark at First Class HALT has my '95 NSX right now. Not much on bedside manner, but he seems knowledgeable and has a lot of NSX experience. I tested them first with some work on my S2000 and they did well.

Last week, it sounded like my AC compressor was not disengaging. I thought it might be cool packs or lost motion sensors, but he doesn't think so. He says something sounds out of balance when the engine is cold. We'll see what he finds.

One potential drawback: He runs his shops, so he works on NSX's when he has extra time. So it might be a bit slow. I haven't heard from him in a week. I don't need the car as a daily, so it doesn't bother me. I did, however, have my wife drop off my car cover since they keep it parked outside during the day.

Let's keep in touch as the work gets done on our cars. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Yes, he said he had another NSX in for repairs. He said it may take some time, and I told him I wasnt in a hurry. He is from NY, and I lived in NYC for a short period of time, so he bedside manner is different than around here. We shall see. Hope you get yours sorted, post what he finds.

Back