• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My "build"

Looking forward to seeing all the updated pics and some video's if you can of the new set up. Hopefully the weather will stay warm upnorth so you can enjoy a drive.

I can't wait to get behind the drivers seat again, it's been to long! I'll try and get some videos but pictures interior wise I'll make sure to snap. Although I'm going through a lot of changes right now it would be nice to document things. I hear it's been warm up there though. Down here it's been pretty warm too. Almost doesn't feel like Christmas. It's crazy since I'm used to the northern weather and the holidays being cold. It's been 70 the past few days which to me seems like spring not winter! I'll never get used to it.

Hey Stephen... been a long time fan of your car as I have peeped through your thread here and there and of course keeping up with it on facebook and instagram... Never until just now though, had I gone through the entire thread post by post. WOW!!! I am sure glad I did as our conversations over the past 1-2 years sort of all make sense now. Honestly never even knew you were turbo'd. Most guys that run a turbo are like vegans, they will mention to you about it within the first minute of conversation... lol... I like how you keep a low profile. All your parts are of ridiculous quality; no expense has been spared on your build. Awesome work man, looking forward to updates to come!!

Haha thanks man! I follow your updates regliously. I mean it's going to be your fault when I go full type s! But yeah it's been a long road. I even forget what I've typed and posted about too which makes me wonder how far things have progressed. Actually from the outside it kind of looks the same, however I'm hoping that will change too once I get these vrh's installed and find a body shop.

But I appreciate the comments. It's strange to think about how much time has really passed. I really though just want my car done. Only a few more projects.

Well again my car is delayed. The first time was because precision took double the time quoted to rebuild my turbo.

Now again precision. Fast forward another 6 months from the first pick up day of my birthday June 12th and planning an entire trip up north to enjoy the car until now. Another trip up north, another few activities and things to do with my car, and again another mishap. During the first dyno pull Justin discovered the turbo was making a horrible noise. Turns out the wheel was rubbing against the housing.

Now to wait and see what precision does. Again this is a newly rebuilt turbo, the same one as before. What's odd also is I was charged only for something very minor to be replaced, yet it appears they replaced a few more parts and messed with the wheel. Maybe Justin can chime in to talk technicalities.

I almost found it comical since I was thinking something would get screwed up. If anyone has followed... my friend and I were stranded in Indy while driving back from MN to PA back in I believe 2009 or so. Car was trailered back to MN for another rebuil and we rented a car to drive home. Seems as if I'm cursed! As excited as I was to see my car again which I haven't seen since March I had a sinking feeling something would happen, and sure enough it did.

I guess now I get to collect more parts.

Last edited:
Stephen, I'm sorry to hear this and can only hope that it gets resolved as smoothly as possible. It will be sweet when it finally works again.

Stephen, I'm sorry to hear this and can only hope that it gets resolved as smoothly as possible. It will be sweet when it finally works again.

I hope so too. We've contacted precision but since it's the holidays and they just switched to a new system they need to track down the work order. Given the track record I'm sure it'll be a lot of phone calls and headaches later until things are resolved.

My builder Justin is recommending I check out other turbos like bullseye or borge warner but truthfully I'd rather not drop another 1-2k on something I had already. Throughout the years I've changed my setup multiple times. I probably have 25-30k into this now, but the light is at the end of the tunnel. After my cars complete the only other change I see making to the "setup" is upgrading my aem series 1 to infinity and adding gauge art.

I'm going to plan and pick up in late March. Between then and now this is the plan.

-finish my type R seats. Ordering material and dropping them off to a local upholster when I get back
-finish the window switch bezels project
-finish the arm rest project
-finish the rear bulkhead project
-finish the rear flat panel project
-buy the brembo e brake system
-start my navigation pod

I may try though and time everything that when I pick up I'll drop my car off to get my 02 conversion done finally. I hear Ben at daisy auto in Maryland not only does maintenance but also can do other things too :biggrin:

So sorry to hear about your turbo blues. Did you ever tackle the Brembo eBrake setup? Also, I can't recommend Ben enough. Ben is a genius.

I'm planning too. Really just want to put the trophy kit on and mess around with it later. At this point I guess I'll do it when I get some time and really my car, haha.

Ben is awesome. I've used Larry of course and Ben a few times now and they're always great experiences!

I have burnt through many of precision turbos. They really aren't "precision" quality. They crap out right out of the box or shortly thereafter.

I'd like to achknowledge that Justin at Dms was in contact with precision and said that they are handling my issue. It is believed to be an issue of not balancing things after being rebuilt. I can honestly say I'm relieved that they acknowledged the fact they dropped the ball on this one and didn't place the blame on Justin or myself. To many times companies play the blame game of who's fault it is but honestly I guess things are working out and precision is stepping up to the plate.

Last edited:
precisely!:wink:......you have been blessed with patience. I hope you get your car back soon.

It's been a bit since my last update. I've decided that while my car is at Dms performance under an aem factory certified tuner I should go with an infinity setup. I've had zero issues with my aem series 1 which I've had since going turbo but it's time to upgrade! Plus it saves me time down the line.

With that said I've been quite busy. I'm developing a lot of new items with this being one. Unlike most carbon fiber parts out there my items are 100% carbon fiber. I'll educate everyone someday about what I know and have experienced but don't fall victim is all I'm saying. There's a lot of misunderstood terms and misunderstood things around composites and you have vendors and individuals exploiting them. Non the less this is a full replacement part, it's thicker and has just as many layers as my seat and oem mounting of all screws. The underneath front portion is even replicated which made me make a 3 piece mold, the same as my seat and center speaker cover.

I only have one more item to make, and if you take a guess yes it's in the works as well. I'll update more but until I pick up my car later things will be limited.

I'm also in the midst of changing my stereo setup. I just purchased a new jl 10 sub which only requires .35 cubic. I'm going back and forth if I should do a carbon face since I think it's just getting covered up but my old jl 10 setup with ztoolman box will be for sale shortly.

Ps. My boost creep issue was solved and of course it's what I thought in the back of my mind but never checked... My precision wastegate developed a torn diaphragm. Honestly when I researched and read up on tial vs precision wastegates they were pretty similar other then the tial having I believe a Kevlar material liner to help prevent things like that happening. I opted to get a new wastegate from tial.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Just got caught up on your thread man! Sorry to hear all the issues you have had! But in the end it will be awesome!

You going to Nsxpo? I just moved to Miami.. So let me know if you ever decide to come by! I owe you dinner!
RJ

Just got caught up on your thread man! Sorry to hear all the issues you have had! But in the end it will be awesome!

You going to Nsxpo? I just moved to Miami.. So let me know if you ever decide to come by! I owe you dinner!
RJ

I forgot expo is in Florida this year. I need to look at the dates but I think it would be a good chance of me going and of course I'll see ya there!

Ps. My boost creep issue was solved and of course it's what I thought in the back of my mind but never checked... My precision wastegate developed a torn diaphragm. Honestly when I researched and read up on tial vs precision wastegates they were pretty similar other then the tial having I believe a Kevlar material liner to help prevent things like that happening. I opted to get a new wastegate from tial.
attachment.php

Glad this was diagnosed.

The AEM infinity is a nice unit, I'm sure you'll like it. I've considered this option just for the flex fuel capabilities.

Hope you get it back soon!

Haven't updated in a while but have some things in the works. But here's an old dyno graph for now.

I'm kicking myself now for not sleeving my motor years ago since that's what's stopping me mainly on power. Well the sleeving, my clutch I'd need to upgrade, injectors, and my turbo anyways... Someday I hope. Until then I'm very happy with my power level. It gets put to the ground very easy and is a blast to drive.

image.jpg

Oh and an interior shot since that's changing soon also.

image.jpg

Those seats look amazing...and comfy. I was wondering what happened to your build.

Finished these up before I took some time off for the holidays. My interior is finally almost complete. When I put my black type r seats in there's only 1 more piece left for the interior

Wow Stephen, great looking upgrades, looking forward to complete photos with seats ... Happy Holidays, rgds Paul

A lot of CF parts I see on here probably look OK at first glance in the pics, but on closeup you notice significant defects in the reflection shots where all the pitting and surfaces are wavy. I can tell from your shots that you put a lot of time and effort in proper finishing and block sanding. That looks great!

Dave

Back