• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

My cursed nsx ownership....

Wow... words can't describe. I had to double check the OP to make sure it was you. That really sucks.

With that kind of spinout, it must've been life threatening and I'm glad you're okay. In the end the car is replaceable but not your life. We as owners know the pain (I've had my fair share of close calls) and wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hopefully this winter is cold so you don't feel like you're missing out on driving weather. :)

That being said, I have a NA1 rear bumper in BB if you need one for cheap.

AJ,
I had a similar spinout incident but I can't blame the weather! I turned off traction control and came a round a corner literally around! once the back end lets go the perfect center of gravity gives you little chance of recovering in a spin.

Stephen

I wouldn't count on the traction control to save you. I accelerated out of corner a little too vigorously and the back end came around to the point that I was pretty much looking straight down the road through the front of the passenger window. I just let off the gas a little, steered into the skid a nudge and the back end straightened out on it own. It probably helped that this was all around 70 kph or less. The traction control was turned on; but, as far as I could determine it took no action. That was probably a good thing because if the traction control had become active during the skid with the high steering angle, suddenly regaining traction at the back end would probably have caused me to go off the road in the opposite direction due to the counter steer.

I did the same thing some time later. Ultimately fixed the problem by replacing the tires with something more appropriate to the car.

Once the back end breaks free over water, it won’t matter what tires, what suspension, hp, speed, etc you have. The tires may have played a roll. But the puddle was too deep. It can rain several inches in a mere few minutes here and that’s exactly what happened. Picture if you will a speed boat when a wind gust gets underneath of it. That’s basically what happened only on the tarmac. I am lucky to not be hurt. But honestly, it barely made my heart race. It happened so quickly.

The quarter panel has sound dampening mats on some areas, on the aluminium, not in between. Maybe that's what you've seen.
Yes. It isn’t on the whole quarter like up near the brake light. It seems to run near the wheel so I think you’re right. It looks like a dense type of foam and it’s yellow.

I wouldn't count on the traction control to save you. I accelerated out of corner a little too vigorously and the back end came around to the point that I was pretty much looking straight down the road through the front of the passenger window. I just let off the gas a little, steered into the skid a nudge and the back end straightened out on it own. It probably helped that this was all around 70 kph or less. The traction control was turned on; but, as far as I could determine it took no action. That was probably a good thing because if the traction control had become active during the skid with the high steering angle, suddenly regaining traction at the back end would probably have caused me to go off the road in the opposite direction due to the counter steer.

I did the same thing some time later. Ultimately fixed the problem by replacing the tires with something more appropriate to the car.
Yeah, it wouldn’t have made any difference versus me taking my foot off the gas. My TC is also disabled due to having AEM ecu.

Thanks for the being safe comments folks. The rear wheel looks ok. I’m not sure if it made contact or not. The tires were Michelin PSS with only 2k miles. They are not good in rain. The rear end broke free so quickly that it was impossible to correct it. So I just took my foot off the gas and let it happen. Luckily the traffic behind me stopped in time.
I'm no Ayrton Senna but I like the PSS's in the rain. It's slick but I still feel in control. It doesn't really hydropane like other summer tires. Again, it's no All Season but for a summer tire I've done some stupid speeds in heavy wet. I'm just saying.. maybe it could be something else too?

Sorry, i'm not posting to try to take away from the situation. Just maybe something to look into further because I don't have that experience with the PSSs.

And perhaps if folks are uncomfortable with the PSS in the rain, I don't think any other summer tire would be better. So my point is.. in the wet/winter it might be worth it to have a second set. In my experience PSS is one of the better ones in the wet.

I'm no Ayrton Senna but I like the PSS's in the rain. It's slick but I still feel in control. It doesn't really hydropane like other summer tires. Again, it's no All Season but for a summer tire I've done some stupid speeds in heavy wet. I'm just saying.. maybe it could be something else too?

Sorry, i'm not posting to try to take away from the situation. Just maybe something to look into further because I don't have that experience with the PSSs.
I have no beef with these tires. As I mentioned earlier, is doesn’t matter what you run. If you run over a puddle of water a couple inches deep at highway speeds, it’s a roll of the dice. Keep in mind, rain in California holds no candle to tropical downpours.

I have no beef with these tires. As I mentioned earlier, is doesn’t matter what you run. If you run over a puddle of water a couple inches deep at highway speeds, it’s a roll of the dice. Keep in mind, rain in California holds no candle to tropical downpours.
Yes, true. Perhaps a more rain oriented winter tire is in order? Man.. sorry this happened. I hope you get it fixed soon.

I always thought that when CA gets the heaviest rainfall (tropical jet stream type) it was worse than FL.
I have never seen rain the way I see it in South Florida. It can rain so heavily, you cannot see 2 feet in front of you then seconds later the sun comes out.

I have never seen rain the way I see it in South Florida. It can rain so heavily, you cannot see 2 feet in front of you then seconds later the sun comes out.

Yes I have been in rain that bad where the freeway was crawling at parking lot speeds and visibility past the front bumper was nil.

Then there was the flood and so much water on the freeway that it went over the 3 ft tall center divider.

Doesn't happen often but when it does in CA it's all from the tropical parts of the Pacific Ocean

Dropped the car off this morning. It looks like there is more damage than meets the eye. Will have a better update tomorrow once the Hagerty adjuster arrives. The body guy is going to start removing panels tonight. We do not think there are available quarter panels out there but we shall see. I don’t want used panels and I don’t want fiberglass. Fingers crossed.

Man that sucks, glad you're ok though!!

I learned my lesson about ten years ago in my previous NSX(silver one) spun several times and nailed a high curb. Lucky no body damage but $6000 in suspension damage

I will never drive my NSX in rain again...

Man that sucks, glad you're ok though!!

I learned my lesson about ten years ago in my previous NSX(silver one) spun several times and nailed a high curb. Lucky no body damage but $6000 in suspension damage

I will never drive my NSX in rain again...

I found it very difficult to lose control of my NA1 in the rain, and the car was one of the best I owned when driven in the rain. Now my Lotus Esprit V8TT was diabolical to drive in the rain. That car was ready to make my wife a widow if I was out in even the slightest drizzle.

I found it very difficult to lose control of my NA1 in the rain, and the car was one of the best I owned when driven in the rain. Now my Lotus Esprit V8TT was diabolical to drive in the rain. That car was ready to make my wife a widow if I was out in even the slightest drizzle.

Yeah, mine was due to very heavy rain and worn tires mostly, but it freaked me out enough to where I just don't bother even taking her out of the garage if there is a drizzle. Luckily it only rains like 7 days a year here in SoCal these days.:wink:

Something to consider. If you have up-sized your tires to improve dry traction, the increased contact patch area has likely increased the tendency towards hydro planning. Of course, with enough water depth, speed and the right angle rocks will 'float' so there are no guarantees with any tire.

When I was tire shopping I was looking at the BF Goodrich Rival S, primarily because they were one of the few tires available with the OEM matching sizes. Minimal sipes and minimal sipe depth suggested that the tire might not be the hot ticket in non dry conditions. I decided that I could sacrifice some dry traction for a little wet weather insurance.

Not looking to good. However, I have what you would call a Cadillac plan. Not only is every body panel on the passenger side of an nsx no longer available through Acura, but I have some frame damage to hammer another nail in this. Not sure what Hagerty is going to do but if this car is totaled, someone is going to get a 30k dollar motor with less than 1k miles.
View attachment 157279

Not sure how Hagerty works (I don't use them) but most insurance policies I know will allow you buy back the car at a negotiated price. I think that's your best option and quite frankly their best option. They won't get the money in the open salvage yard for a built motor.
Not looking to good. However, I have what you would call a Cadillac plan. Not only is every body panel on the passenger side of an nsx no longer available through Acura, but I have some frame damage to hammer another nail in this. Not sure what Hagerty is going to do but if this car is totaled, someone is going to get a 30k dollar motor with less than 1k miles.

How come it's taken this long to determine a TL?

I'm a senior claims adjuster for one of the major insurance companies, let me know if you have any questions. I'm very familiar with the buy back programs

Last edited:
How come it's taken this long to determine a TL?

I'm a senior claims adjuster for one of the major insurance companies, let me know if you have any questions. I'm very familiar with the buy back programs
It’s the process. They wanted two estimates done by two different appraisers. This is after the body shop and I said we cannot get oem panels. They then said to pull it all apart and they will have a 3rd appraiser come look. I’m remaining humble though. If they total it, we aren’t talking small coin. So we’re just going through the process and I think Hagerty already knows all this...

Back