• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nav Pod

I am looking to see how you guys installed the nav pod, is ther another way to attach to the dash other than screwing into the top? Post any pictures if you have them.

thanks
Armando

Attachments

• pod1[1].jpg
    pod1[1].jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 753
Hi miamieNeSex,

I used two sided 3m tape like whats used to hold on the wings west front lip. I atually moded over the two holes in the pod for a cleaner look and epoxied a metal plate to the underside of the pod and built up two sided tap until the pod was sitting flush with the dash. Haven't had any problems with the pod moving it's very secure. We'll see what happens when I take it to the track and do some hard launches. I also believe Chris at SOS has fabricated a special bracket that fastens the pod into place maybe you want to try Chris first.

Just make sure you clean the dash surface very well so you have a good adhesive area to put the 2 sided tape.

I don't think it would since there is no direct sunlight on the taped area. I'm not sure how the area the pod itself is covering would look after a few years of use compared to the rest of the dash. is there any body shop owners here that would know if the 3m tape will discolor the dash?

Before molding and painting.

fc604dd8.jpg

After

fc6050dc.jpg

WOW! Now that looks like a good job. Could you please share all the details?

How did you mount the stereo? What system is in there? What LCD?

Thanks a lot Miami

ALIENT said:
So the question is, did you drill into the dash?

I originally used double sided tape, but it kept comming loose and it wasnt really safe having the pod loosen up during braking. I finally broke down and used 2 small screws and I am very happy with the installation. I figured if I did get somekind of adhesive to finally work it would cause the same or more damage to the dash.

Edwardo said:
WOW! Now that looks like a good job. Could you please share all the details?

How did you mount the stereo? What system is in there? What LCD?

Thanks a lot Miami

I used the Alpine 760 as the monitor and it mounted fairly easy to the Honda Nav Pod. For the DVD player I used the Panasonic, it plays DVDs, CDs and also MP3s, so I dont really use my CD changer anymore. I connected the DVD player to the stock head unit using an RF modulator and it works good. I am in the process of waiting for the new console and then will complete the system with a satelite radio system and upgraded speakers and amps.

What dimensions does the monitor have to have in order to fit correctly? I've got a 7" kenwood screen... (LZ-700W) that I'd like to fit into that but not sure if it would fit? Do any of you guys have experience w/ this?

The Kenwood is what I am using for my project. The only way it will fit is to remove it from the housing. It fits perfectly and you have touch screen edge to edge.

The trick is to use silicon to hold the screen in the pod. And you will need to relocate the remote sensor. It's tricky and if you are handy with this kinna stuff it's VERY doable and the results will be sweet.

MiamieNeSeX said:
I originally used double sided tape, but it kept comming loose and it wasnt really safe having the pod loosen up during braking. I finally broke down and used 2 small screws and I am very happy with the installation. I figured if I did get somekind of adhesive to finally work it would cause the same or more damage to the dash.

So you used screws into the dash to hold it into place?

ALIENT said:
The Kenwood is what I am using for my project. The only way it will fit is to remove it from the housing. It fits perfectly and you have touch screen edge to edge.

The trick is to use silicon to hold the screen in the pod. And you will need to relocate the remote sensor. It's tricky and if you are handy with this kinna stuff it's VERY doable and the results will be sweet.

Thanks for the info :)

92NSX said:
Was that painful?:( I didn't have the courage to do it.

LOL sure it was, but only if you take the pod off, and alot less painful than if it flies off during cornering or braking. :)

does the pod give enough of an overhang to prevent direct/indirect glare on the screen? also... is it awkward to reach way forward to a touch screen in the pod?

WOODY said:
does the pod give enough of an overhang to prevent direct/indirect glare on the screen? also... is it awkward to reach way forward to a touch screen in the pod?

Oviously the picture is much clearer during the evening, but you still get a good view during the day, no need to use controls on the pod as the nav and dvd are controled through a remote

I WILL BE HOOKING THE LCD UP TO A MOBILE COMPUTER( TO PLAY MP3, MONITOR A/F AND OTHER FUNCTIONS. I WILL NEED TO USED THE TOUCH SCREEN TO CONTROL THE COMPUTER( OR INSTALL A TOUCH PAD MOUSE IN THE CONSOLE CHANGE TRAY) THE POD LOKS VERY HIGH TO ME, WOULDNT IT BE POSSIBLE TO ELIMINATE THE CLOCK AND VENTS TO ALLOW THE LCD TO JUST DROP DOWN INTO THE DASH?

WOODY said:
I WILL BE HOOKING THE LCD UP TO A MOBILE COMPUTER( TO PLAY MP3, MONITOR A/F AND OTHER FUNCTIONS. I WILL NEED TO USED THE TOUCH SCREEN TO CONTROL THE COMPUTER( OR INSTALL A TOUCH PAD MOUSE IN THE CONSOLE CHANGE TRAY) THE POD LOKS VERY HIGH TO ME, WOULDNT IT BE POSSIBLE TO ELIMINATE THE CLOCK AND VENTS TO ALLOW THE LCD TO JUST DROP DOWN INTO THE DASH?

The pod does eliminate the clock and reduces the height of the vents by 1/2.

MiamieNeSeX said:

Hi, I'm just curious as to what type of bouble stick tape you used. I just bought the nav pod and I'm planning on using the automotive trim and emblem thin double stick tape. I've used this to mount my metal deal pedal and it sticks very well and doesn't move. I was thinking it woud be perfect for the nav pod since it is black, thin, and very stickey. Much more stickey than any of the double stick tape I've found in hardware stores.

ChrisK said:
Hi, I'm just curious as to what type of bouble stick tape you used. I just bought the nav pod and I'm planning on using the automotive trim and emblem thin double stick tape. I've used this to mount my metal deal pedal and it sticks very well and doesn't move. I was thinking it woud be perfect for the nav pod since it is black, thin, and very stickey. Much more stickey than any of the double stick tape I've found in hardware stores.

I tried a couple of tapes and none stuck the way I wanted. Since the dash is exposed to sunlight and is not a solid surface the tapes dont hold up.

Back