• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need new Key but I don't have the originals to chip the key

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in the spring, summer a
What advice can you give a new NSX owner? Have have purchased a 2005 NSX and it only has one key. I when to a dealership and they said I needed the red key to program it. I didn't get that key with the car. The Acura dealer said I should go to the Honda dealer and they have a R5 key that might work. Any ideas to create a new key?
Thanks Olie

You can either get a T5 key, which is a clone key (they take your key and "clone" the code to a new blank) or you can get a new immobilizer replacement set which includes a new immobilizer module and a new red key and a new black key. Of course, the T5 key is the cheaper solution, but the new immobilizer will make it more "original" and complete as that will give you everything back like factory original.

Note: The new immobilizer does NOT change the key cut... only the electronics, so it's not like you have to change the locks or the ignition switch. It's just a module under the dash, but the dealer would have to program it to your car's ECU.

What advice can you give a new NSX owner? Have have purchased a 2005 NSX and it only has one key. I when to a dealership and they said I needed the red key to program it. I didn't get that key with the car. The Acura dealer said I should go to the Honda dealer and they have a R5 key that might work. Any ideas to create a new key?
Thanks Olie

Had the same issue with my NSX. The dealership wanted over $1000 to change out the immobilized. Just take your working key to a lock smith and see if they can copy it. Cost me $35.

Back