• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need to do maintenance - upgrade performance

I have a 2002 NSX-T with 29,000 miles on it and it is totally stock. I took it in for it's annual service at the local dealer here in Greenville SC and got the bad news it is time for a lot of service - replace timing belt, etc etc. Any list of things to do at this point?
There isn't any real NSX tech at the dealership, so need to find a good place - most likely Atlanta - to get the work done. Read suggestions here that Effiels was a good spot.

While I was going to do this, I was wondering if there are any simple mod's that will increase the horsepower? There are so many cars now with big power, it would be nice to be able to get more out of my car.

Also, (especially) for the first few minutes after starting, the idle is a little rough. Any ideas?

Cool! Haven't seen any up here for a while!

What mods were you thinking about doing?

Since most places will want to drop the entire engine, it would be a good time to do headers if you were going to do so. Anything else you would be most likely to want to do wouldn't really be any easier with the engine out. I did my catback with a set of ramps so its easy enough.

Can't offer any help as to where to take the car unfortunately, I refuse to take my cars anywhere for anything other than an alignment :tongue:

I really don't know what is not too painful to the wallet to do. This one is really a garage queen and hasn't been abused, so it is in very nice shape. But, at 9 years old, it needs to have all of the maintenance items done, so while I am getting the belts changed etc, thought I would check out what might make it faster and more fun.

If that is the case, you would probably only be interested in basic bolt-on items...

The newer models got nicer tubular headers from the factory that aren't quite as good as some of the aftermarket ones (but much better than the first versions the older models got)... so unless you were going to go for big n/a power you probably wouldn't find it worthwhile to swap.

If it were me, I would look into the following:

Downforce Air Intake Scoop

Uni-Filter

Big Bore TB

And look around for a nice quality exhaust with a sound you like. There are plenty out there. That would be a pretty good mod list that would get you some good gains without going crazy in debt. You can always find good deals on used items from people going back to stock or selling their cars.

One good thing about those mods is that all of them can be bolted on (or off) without it being a major ordeal. The intake scoop might take you 30 mins if you haven't done it before, the unifilter is a 5min job, the TB should be less than an hour and exhaust might be a 2 hour job depending on what you are putting on and how rusted your current exhaust is. Another good thing is you can do them in any order you want (ideally you would want to do the tb after the rest of the intake mods though) and without having to wait for a major service to do it.

Great to hear of an NSX in Greenville. I've been working there since July and I've only seen one. It was parked in front of 5 Guys on Pelham Rd. about 3 months ago.

I have a queen too. 2002 yellow/yellow 9 of 13 6 speed and 1 of 41 ever brought to USA yellow/yellow

Back to your question...I only have 2 mods, full Comptech Exhaust, headers to tips (now called CT Engineering) and K&N filter in stock box. The suggestions above are great, they also preserve the car to go back to stock when it's time to sell. All mods kill re-saleability because you narrow the potential buyer market with every mod.

Below are links for my exhaust I like the sound and it's not to loud and looks close to factory but it has a throaty growl :biggrin:

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Comptech/exhuast/

http://scienceofspeed.com/products/exhaust_airflow_products/NSX/Comptech/headers/

Give me a call (770-833-8494) sometime when you're out with yours and I'll dust mine off too.

P.S. Eiffel does all my work and he's priced fair and knows his NSX's well. He also has a CT Engineering super charged NSX he might let you drive if you are considering him to install an SC on yours.

Last edited:
thanks and appreciate the thoughts - some great ideas
I was driving it yesterday and the traction control light and check engine light came on, so it might be a trip to the shop quicker than I was expecting......

Especially if they are still on, but even if they automatically turn off the code should still be available to read.

Take it to ,dare I say :rolleyes:, Autozone and use their OBD scanner for free to get an idea of what is going on to upset the sensors, then decide which mechanic to take it to. My option, although far away from my house too, is always going to be Eiffel.

Last edited:
Just pry open the wallet, fork out 15k, get all the service,
and a S/C or Turbo. 375-440+ - Rwhp and be done with it.

Im another greenville member... well i just bought the car last week and I am over in Anderson. I plan to bring the car up here mid July if anyone wants to go for a cruise or something

on your car ,staying NA and trying to go faster is kinda like trying different sneakers to run faster....If $ matter then just get all the maintanance done now and start saving for a nice supercharger,which if you want to extract max hp gains from it, you will need a good tuner because you will need to get a new ecu /engine management solution.

You will get out exactly what you put into your mods on these cars.

I discovered a company called Balanced Performance in Suwanee GA (678-546-3133 - Jason) when I was looking for someone to perform the final Dyno tune on my 04' after having the SOS SC and Intercooler installed by an Acura Master Tech. Ended up with 406HP/297LBS on a stock motor. Currently have them replacing the suspension and balancing the car and they are bulding our 94' low-comp for track. They are on the NE side of the ATL. Straight shot from SC down I85. I highly recommend them if you decide to kick it up a notch as they can perform anything you throw at them..

On the maintenance side(timing belt etc..) there is a VERY small shop called B & G Auto in Lawrenceville, GA. (678-376-1631) Hugo is the owner and he is simply fantastic. I found him on a prior string here on Prime. He would also install the "light" mods mentioned in this string.

Good luck and enjoy!

Back