• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Cayman S vs. Pre-owned NSX

They look better in person to me.
The white one looks like a cross between a 911, Supra & 350z.
5 years from now however I won't even see 'em. Like M3's / New Vette's/
EVO's...........

Poison_S said:
...on paper the Cayman S and the NSX are very comparable.

Da Hapa said:
While the P car is quick and on paper it should be as quick if not quicker than the NSX, it doesn't feel it.

When did everyone start driving on paper? :wink:

lol, good point. Ive been doing this same comparison for a while and personally id rather have an NSX than a cayman. having driven neither one or anything like it, i dont know much about the drive quality based on first hand experience but certainly based on finances and looks, a lightly used NSX beats a cayman. however im not sure what the new "successor" to the NSX will do to the NSX's resale value. i guess it depends on what they do with the new car: id expect its resale value to go down pretty highly if the new NSX is similar to the current one, and i'd expect it to go down much less if the new one is radically different. just another point to make ur decision a little harder :wink:
Skylark said:
When did everyone start driving on paper? :wink:

Please don't take this the wrong way but in the end this is still a personal choice. For me this type of purchase has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks but me. It is all about my passion for the car, certainly not about published specs or what cars are faster/slower. So try to drive them both or see them both and figure it out yourself. If you don't feel passion, then what are you really getting into. Without passion, then it is a one night stand that you will keep paying for after the short thrill is gone. I think I am going to the garage and cheat on my wife tonight :wink:

NSX ownership is very privileged and exclusive. Specially the NA2 models..

First off, by no means I'm insulting the Cayman, I think it is a wonderful car. It does everything an entry level high performance mid engine car should do. This is just my take.

The truth is, owning a Cayman is like owning a S2000, because every S2k owner knows there is a model above what they drive, that is created by the same manufacture. Some of them will even admit that they should have bought a used NSX instead of a S2k. I don't know about you guys, but I'm the type of guy if I want to buy a P car, it will either be a turbo or GT3; that's my mind set.

After all, very few NSXs are on the road (Perhaps not in S. Cal and Florida), and I love how people play guessing game of what I drive.

However, by saying that, it is also true that hardcore P car owner will preach you the same way, they will tell you to buy a P car because NSX is old, and it's a Honda. At the end of the day, as an owner, I much rather be driving a car knowing it was developed by the assistance of late Ayrton Senna, conceived during an era when Honda won six consecutive F1 contractor championship, and was the daily driver for Senna and Gordon Murray (Designer of McLaren F1/SLR, who drove an NSX for six years, who studied suspension geometry of this so car 16 years old dinosor before finalized the suspension development of the McLaren F1 super car).

Something’s are truly timeless. In another 15 years, few will remember the Cayman. BUT, every car enthusiasts out there will remember the NSX, whether they like the car or not, because it rewrote the automotive history. After all, every time I watch the Best Motoring videos, NSX R always gave those P/F cars a good run for their money, considering the car is so freakin’ old. That along is a good evidence of how awesome the NSX is as a super car, a car that is well within reach of a true car ethusiast.

I love the passion and pride people have on the cars they own. That is why there are so many models out there to choose from. If all we can get is Ferraris as a super/exotic car, life very be dull!!!

Last edited:
Vancehu said:
The truth is, owning a Cayman is like owning a S2000, because every S2k owner knows there is a model above what they drive, that is created by the same manufacture. Some of them will even admit that they should have bought a used NSX instead of a S2k. I don't know about you guys, but I'm the type of guy if I want to buy a P car, it will either be a turbo or GT3; that's my mind set.

A different way to look at it would be that at least Porsche offers an upgrade path whereas Honda does not.

The Cayman platform will continue to see upgrades year after year whereas the NSX is *done* never to be improved on again.

If a Cayman owner wants to upgrade he/she can go for a newer model Cayman or change to a 997 platform 997/997S/997C4S/997GT3/997GT3RS/997TT without having to go outside Porsche, in contrast there is no such path for the Honda folks who own a NSX.

BTW: The real P-Car to get is a CGT :p not some lowly GT3 or Turbo, LOL.... :D

Da Hapa said:
Don't believe me, pick up a copy of Excellence magazine and witness what true aftermarket support is for a marque. And Honda, are you listening? Porsche actually makes an effort to support the PCA and local clubs.

As good as Excellence is, Christophorus (official Porsche publication) is much better.

Compare the "Acura Style" magazine vs "Christophorus" each one of them a magazine put out by the respective manufacturer, kind of tells you the market that each manufacturer is focusing on, it's like night and day... ;)

Porsche has PDE (Porsche Driving Experience) where you get to drive a Carrera S and Honda has the Mid-Ohio-School driving a TSX... hmm.. they are similar..... yeah right! :rolleyes:

NSX over a P car any day unless its the CGT.......The sleek look of the NSX is still sexy today as it was 15 years ago. I would definitely get a Gayman S for a daily cruiser though.

Poison_S said:
About two months ago, I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 2004 NSX, but the dealer sent the car to auction with a very favorable deal on the table. :confused:

German vs Japanese, two different schools of thought when it comes to the execution of a sports car. However, on paper the Cayman S and the NSX are very comparable.
Appearance is a big factor for most. For a car nut not being able to see the engine bay is a big turn off. You don't get to view the engine by poping the hood or hatch.

The specs looks similar on paper. Performance on track seems to be similar as well judging from the best motoring video of Cayman vs NSX type S.

Appearance wise, stock vs stock, the NSX just looks so much better, especailly 02+. When you look at a Cayman S. Does it take breath away? Probably not. It already looks dated, even though it have only been around for less than a year.

Cars you can buy in that price range:
used 02+ NSX
Lotus Exige S
C6 Z06
up and coming new M3
used E55

If I can have any car in that price range, I would take 02+ NSX without thinking twice. If I have to buy a brand new car that fall within Cayman S price range, I would go with:

-2007 Lotus Exige S in either white or black. 0~60 in 4.1sec, it can kick the Cayman S's butt on both street and track.

Last edited:
2slow2speed said:
A different way to look at it would be that at least Porsche offers an upgrade path whereas Honda does not.

The Cayman platform will continue to see upgrades year after year whereas the NSX is *done* never to be improved on again.

If a Cayman owner wants to upgrade he/she can go for a newer model Cayman or change to a 997 platform 997/997S/997C4S/997GT3/997GT3RS/997TT without having to go outside Porsche, in contrast there is no such path for the Honda folks who own a NSX.

BTW: The real P-Car to get is a CGT :p not some lowly GT3 or Turbo, LOL.... :D

This brought out something I had been thinking about the nsx in general: in the last few years, and hopefully including the upcoming 2007, we are at the sweetspot of owning a nsx. Financially, the increase demand pretty much made the nsx a "free car". Besides this point, even from the stand point of owning a pre 94 coupe, it could be the best $30k you had ever spent on 4 wheels. However, I've been thinking the general development of the new cars, what would the nsx stands against in next few years??

NSXDreamer2 said:
This brought out something I had been thinking about the nsx in general: in the last few years, and hopefully including the upcoming 2007, we are at the sweetspot of owning a nsx. Financially, the increase demand pretty much made the nsx a "free car". Besides this point, even from the stand point of owning a pre 94 coupe, it could be the best $30k you had ever spent on 4 wheels. However, I've been thinking the general development of the new cars, what would the nsx stands against in next few years??

I agree,...as far as how the NSX would stand against the next few years as far as exotic car genre, the NSX will still be an NSX,...a timeless classic and still running strong.

Better cars are already out that can out perform an NSX, but an NSX is an NSX. true NSX affianados know what im talking about. The NSX is the 'godfather' of exotic supercars. New F-cars or P-cars may be ahead in power and some refinements nowadays, but without the NSX pushing the envelope of exotic standards, those P/F-cars wouldn't be how we know them today. So no matter what comes out in the future, the NSX will still have its respect, competitive track car, and still turning heads. NSX forever!!!:tongue: :smile:

This was just the discussion I was looking for, thanks! Great points and insight that really has helped me in thinking through this decision.

Something else that comes to mind that has not really been discussed is availablity of the right car. Trying to find the right NSX has been very difficult. Because of my expectations for purchasing a car, I usually buy new. In fact, the last six out of seven cars were new for that same reason and the one preowned I bought, I later regretted. The car had 3,300 miles on it, sold to me as had never seen rain or snow, no accidents/paint, no track/auto-x, and sold as pristine in every way by another car enthusiast (with several cars in two heated garages). About three months after I bought it, I was waxing the door jams on the car, when the cloth I was using, started to fray on the edge of a tape line! :mad: I traced the tape line up the door jam and back under the rear quarter trim piece. After that, I noticed when the car would hit a big bump in the road, the rear end would always shift to the right. I could only surmise the car had been in an accident. It was after that experience, I have been very leary of pre-owned cars, no matter how perfect and low-mileage they are.

I awoke one day about two months ago and said to myself I want to buy an interesting serious sports car. I currently drive a Honda Ridgeline, but had a Jaguar S-type before that. I had a 81 RX7 some time ago, and a 74 RX4 before that. Other cars in between. I immediately thought about the RX8, which I have admired since it came out. I admit to being a huge rotary fan. I thought only momentarily about the S2K, but I don't like convertibles.

Here in Austin, Boxters are everywhere since the dot.com thing happened. BMW 3-series are seemingly as common as Accords. I hate the new 5-series looks, just like the new 7-series. The Cayman is a beautiful car, especially from angles that allow you to appreciate the roof and rear proportion. The front end unfortunately is Boxter-which has creeped into 911 styling (unfortunately). I always favored P-cars over B-cars because the B-cars are just to much a yuppie car in Austin.

I briefly thought about Vettes. The current generation is the best looking (other than 66 and 67) and obviously very fast. But the poor quality of the interior and more importantly - I just don't think I'm a Vette "guy." I don't identify with the Vette culture.

I continued to think about candidates for my car search and I suddenly remembered the two NSXs I drove ten years ago. I knew that's what I wanted and here I am looking for a 97+.

I would not pay 80+ for a new NSX. And I do not agree with some that the 02+ changes are better. If I were to spend 70+ new, I'd probably take a hard look at the Cayman S. But I want to spend 40+, not 70+. And a 40+ NSX vs. a 70+ P-car is a nobrainer.

I have had several Porsches in the past, turbos and NA. The most recent was an 02 C2 996 with GT3 aero kit, X74 suspension, GT3 sway bars and billet monoball rear links. The car handles like a dream. I also took the Cayman S out for a drive and it is a very capable car.

So what did I do? I bought a red 1991 NSX with 35K on the odo. The car is near perfect. It has never seen the rain or snow.

Initial impressions are that it gathers more of a crowd than the 02 996, I love the styling and when it hits 8000 rpm's I have an ear to ear grin.

On the financil side it looks like this to me:

The 02 996 will lose at least $10K in the next 2 years with moderate driving, < 5K miles per year. Add 20K miles in that time frame and the hit will be more like $15K.

For the NSX at the price I paid I don't see any hit at all.

On modifications to the car. The Porsche gets into your wallet real quick. Sway bars - $700, Adjustable drop links - $600, modified intake - $525, switch out the rear links for monoballs and you can hit $2500.

Service - I think the NSX will win hands down.

I always wanted an NSX and now that I have one I know why I wanted it. It's a great car.

Alan

NSX-GUY said:
Now if you were a golfer, in my best Meg Ryan (French Kiss) sound-a-like voice...... "You mean, like deeeeeeeeese ???" :eek: :rolleyes: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-2DR-5-7L-V10-Original-Owner-TIGER-WOODS_W0QQitemZ330037965927QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6058QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#lg

LOL yes like deeesssee! That is a bad azz car! :biggrin:
Now Tiger just needs to share me some of that money he has. :biggrin:

Oh yeah like Alan said P cars are very expensive to mod....let alone buy.

Last edited:
Well I love the Cayman S... Best Porsche ever produced IMO (excluding the CGT of course) And I am getting one!

But I am not selling my NSX's...

WingZ said:
No one does:wink:

Well someone has to buy them new for everyone else to get it used RIGHT!. So be nice to those of us who seem dumb enough to buy a new one :mad:

When I buy an F-Car used (I can't afford new), I will be very greatful that someone before me had the money to pay over list so that I can get it for a price that I can afford. Thank you to the folks that have money, so that the less wealthy (Me) have a chance to have big fun when you are done putting a few pampered miles on my F-Car :biggrin: .....Steve

New rule:

No consecutive posts by guys with blue cars. :biggrin:

Back