• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New Cayman S vs. Pre-owned NSX

Congrats on your new ride, she looks gorgous!! I saw one at the mall and it definitely looks better in person!!!

my1stnsx said:
Congrats on your new ride, she looks gorgous!! I saw one at the mall and it definitely looks better in person!!!

Thanks!

Getting the clear bra installed today, can't wait to go pick her up and drive!:D

Poison_S said:
Well, I finally made the decision and bought a 2006 Cayman S.

Love the car, definitely the right car for me at this time.

Review I posted on S2ki...
Initial thoughts...

HANDLING:
In a word, OUTSTANDING!
Poised and confident, the car takes to turns so well, even novice drivers, like myself, don't hesitate. The normal speeds may bore some drivers, but that's because the car's capability envelope goes so high. With the weight distribution of the mid-engine, rear mounted transmission, the car has a well-planted and balanced sense with no signs of understeer! To give you an idea, I did not think the AP2 S2000 was a car that would understeer, but compared to the Cayman it does. Surprisingly, the car does have a noticeable amout of roll to it with the stock springs. Something I plan to address with springs or coilovers in the near future.
Congrats on your purchase, I've always liked white P-cars :D The 987/Cayman chassis is awesome.

BTW: You mentioned body roll, does your Cayman have PASM? The PASM equipped cars use linear rate springs and the non PASM cars use progressive rate springs (which entail more initial body roll).

And finally welcome to the MR family :) once you drive a MR car it's really hard to go to a FF/FR/RR car ;)

P.S. Consider getting another set of wheels with winter tires, and learn to slide the car at lower speeds, with the MPS2's it's almost impossible to break the car loose at safe speeds.

Hrant said:
I haven't read all the posts but have followed on/off. Here is my observation from two track events, two different Cayman S/drivers; one at Infineon and one at Thunderhill. Both times the Cayman were faster than my mostly stock 98-T and both times I was hooked and not holding anything back; even on the front straights with full WOT they were pulling away.

And finally I resolved my overheating problem at Thunderhill when even the ambient temp yesterday was below 90F! Tells you I was pushing the car. Solution: turned the heater dial on to full 90F on auto as I wasn't going to lift since I was having way too much fun with an M3 on my tail and a 911 in front :biggrin:

YMMV

Hey Hrant,

Was one of the Cayman's black and running with Moton's? Good old John H, mooty at rennlist?, you know that his Cayman is not stock ;)

BTW: So what laptimes did you get?

Ken

Ken, I sure hope there was more to them than stock LOL! The one at Infineon was silver and the one at THill was yellow. The yellow one surprised me as he was taking a few turns off line and it still didn't seem to unsettle the car much. Truthfully, I wasn't going to lift on the front straight after giving the pass but then realized he was just going to stay on my inside until we got to turn 1, so did a momentary lift to let the pass; he was way off on turn 1 almost on the marbles but saved it; by the next lap he had some 75 feet advantage. I am still fighting some understeer ....... and yes you predicted that with 205/40/17 RA1 on the fronts :wink:

As for lap times, I got Ted's old timer and still trying to figure where to mount the thing! Any ideas besides Velcro which wouldn't pass tech ......... ? With my setup, if I get close to 2:15 I would be happy.

MCM said:
Looks great in white!
Dealer plates?

Thanks!

As for the plate, I took those pictures during one of my two extended test drives before the purchase.

Here is my plate now...
index.php

2slow2speed said:
Congrats on your purchase, I've always liked white P-cars :D The 987/Cayman chassis is awesome.

BTW: You mentioned body roll, does your Cayman have PASM? The PASM equipped cars use linear rate springs and the non PASM cars use progressive rate springs (which entail more initial body roll).

And finally welcome to the MR family :) once you drive a MR car it's really hard to go to a FF/FR/RR car ;)

P.S. Consider getting another set of wheels with winter tires, and learn to slide the car at lower speeds, with the MPS2's it's almost impossible to break the car loose at safe speeds.

Thanks!

I absolutely love the MR setup. The car is so planted and feels so stable through turns, no understeer at all! The car makes me feel like a much better driver, overnight. :wink:

As for the winter driving, I'll likely not get the CS out. I have the TT with Blizzaks for those duties. :biggrin:

No PASM on my CS. I plan to lower the car and I have been told that can be difficult with the PASM equipped cars. The body roll is not very bad, but I am used to cars with coilovers so, in comparison it is noticable.

I saw a black one today and it looked and sounded very nice.
What I have trouble with is the way the exhaust looks from behind. Looks like a heiney hole.

Hrant said:
Ken, I sure hope there was more to them than stock LOL! The one at Infineon was silver and the one at THill was yellow. The yellow one surprised me as he was taking a few turns off line and it still didn't seem to unsettle the car much. Truthfully, I wasn't going to lift on the front straight after giving the pass but then realized he was just going to stay on my inside until we got to turn 1, so did a momentary lift to let the pass; he was way off on turn 1 almost on the marbles but saved it; by the next lap he had some 75 feet advantage. I am still fighting some understeer ....... and yes you predicted that with 205/40/17 RA1 on the fronts :wink:

As for lap times, I got Ted's old timer and still trying to figure where to mount the thing! Any ideas besides Velcro which wouldn't pass tech ......... ? With my setup, if I get close to 2:15 I would be happy.

Hrant,

Sounds like you had fun chasing down the Cayman S at Thill and dicing it out with the other cars out there :D. The amount of grip that the Cayman S can generate with the stock street tires is amazing, wouldn't be too surprised if the guy was running with street tires.

Hmm.. A yellow Cayman S it's definetely not mooty (last I heard he had a black Cayman S with motons as well as a white Cayman S sitting at a dealer lot in Redwood City). Lot's of P-car owners bought Cayman's within the last year so it's hard to tell, then again it could always be the guy who owns the multitude of tracks toys that he leaves at the garage @Thill :eek:

BTW: I used to mount my Hot Lap Receiver on my aftermarket engine cover with velcro and with some tape, didn't have issues as far as passing tech, but had problems with reception of the IR beam every now and then because how low the receiver was located.

Other folks who have removed the engine cover have made a bracket and attached the receiver somewhere in the engine compartment.

You don't give yourself enough credit Hrant :), last time that I saw you at Infineon you seemed to be doing fine with your NSX, so shooting for a 2:12 at Thill with the R-compounds would be a good goal :D

Ken

Ken, 2:12 :eek: ........ no pressure right :wink: In fact, that turned out to be Fred's best lap time which happened this last Friday, and he has all those nice go fast goodies on his trailered black Carrera 4 ....... and he does pass me on the track :tongue:

Mounting in on the engine cover is interesting; how did you snake the phone wire to the timer read out and where did you secure that?

I've test driven the Cayman S a couple of times now and was seriously impressed but I'm at a particular point in my life where I want (and feel I deserve :rolleyes: ) something really "special". :smile:

So, it's an orange (possibly a blue) '02+ NSX or an '01-'05 Porsche 911 TT or nothing !!! :biggrin:

In a couple of years I might be interested in the Cayman..... :wink:

Last edited:
Poisn_S,

Glad to see you got the car at Byers. I'm not once bit impressed with MAG in Columbus.

Looks good.

I like the Cayman S. I always think it might be worth getting a new Z06 Corvette when I think of the price though.

Poison_S said:
Here is my plate now...

I can't believe you picked that nasty looking German POS over an NSX! For God's sake it has a freaking asshole! I guess there's simply no accounting for bad taste. This is what your plate should have read. :biggrin: Drive the thing in good health and safely at least. I'm sure the P-car will be long gone by the time NSXPO rolls into Colombus next year and we can have a few drinks and a few good laughs about it.

boxfire.jpg

Congrats on the Cayman. White woulda been my choice too.

I got to rag on my friend's Cayman S and it was ok. The experience left me wanting my car more (only my opinion).

On the track though, the Caymans are awesome straight out of the box.

Hugh said:
I can't believe you picked that nasty looking German POS over an NSX! For God's sake it has a freaking asshole! I guess there's simply no accounting for bad taste. This is what your plate should have read. :biggrin: Drive the thing in good health and safely at least. I'm sure the P-car will be long gone by the time NSXPO rolls into Colombus next year and we can have a few drinks and a few good laughs about it.

The thing about Hugh is that he never comes out and tells you what he really thinks. He's subtle that way and you find yourself having to constantly read between the lines.:biggrin: :biggrin:

Da Hapa said:
The thing about Hugh is that he never comes out and tells you what he really thinks. He's subtle that way and you find yourself having to constantly read between the lines.:biggrin: :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Subtlety is most definitely Hugh's forte' :wink: :tongue:

I tried to show up at this guy's home every weekend to temp him with the NSX....but I failed. Eventhough I think he settled, the car is pretty sweet.:biggrin:

Alan C. said:
Poisn_S,

Glad to see you got the car at Byers. I'm not once bit impressed with MAG in Columbus.

Yeah, Mike Kirkham over at Byers is awesome! He made all the difference in this purchase. About MAG, My wife and I have made three purchases from MAG in the past five years and the snobs over in the luxury end of the building wouldn't let me test drive the Cayman S.

MAG has really gone down hill in the past couple years, IMO. Not only have they lost some of their best sales people, but their best service people too.

Back