• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New NSX ?

I saw that too last night. I was kind of hoping that Honda would go the other way with regard to following up on the CRZ. If they make the NSX a hybrid (albeit a high performance hybrid) I think it will be a mistake. Make the CRZ a CRX and put a normally aspirated Si engine in it and make the NSX a V8 supercar.

A hybrid replacement NSX is not what we want (unless its on a whole new level of hybrid performance), if Honda decides to go with it please don't use the name "NSX" :frown:

I guess you've got a point. That 918 is a beautiful car. I guess my point was that if the new NSX is going to be the "spiritual successor" of the CRZ (a car that is pretty heavy and slow) Honda has a lot of work to do.

Actually the next NSX is supposed to be the "spiritual successor" of the old NSX. I've no idea what that means. The CRZ is the spiritual successor of the CRX and although heavier it is faster and better on the track. It also has the same set up plus a hybrid motor ..so does this mean the next car will be mid engine with a hybrid:confused:

Also everyone keeps saying Honda will release a high performance version of the CRZ but Honda has plainly said they haven't committed to anything:confused:

Actually the next NSX is supposed to be the "spiritual successor" of the old NSX. I've no idea what that means. The CRZ is the spiritual successor of the CRX and although heavier it is faster and better on the track. It also has the same set up plus a hybrid motor ..so does this mean the next car will be mid engine with a hybrid:confused:

Also everyone keeps saying Honda will release a high performance version of the CRZ but Honda has plainly said they haven't committed to anything:confused:

I read in Winding Road or another pub that it's official and they are working on it now...don't know but it was in an article about the Mugen CR-Z. Hope it's true! The Mugen looks really cool to me - we'll see. Don't give up yet!

I read in Winding Road or another pub that it's official and they are working on it now...don't know but it was in an article about the Mugen CR-Z. Hope it's true! The Mugen looks really cool to me - we'll see. Don't give up yet!

Glad your still hopeful and while most of us were where your at they've played this card on us too often and we're cynical at best. It may be official that they're working on it but they've been "officially" working on it since the 90's.

They're engineering seems to progressively not improve. A-Vtec is still a no show and new engines have yet to appear. I'm by no means saying they're a bad company they're just not the choice for enthusiasts any longer. Much as I hate it Nissan ( 370Z vert ) and Toyo ( Lexus IS-F )are offering cars I'd like to own. My S2000 CR is gone and nothing from Honda to replace it.

Glad your still hopeful and while most of us were where your at they've played this card on us too often and we're cynical at best. It may be official that they're working on it but they've been "officially" working on it since the 90's.

They're engineering seems to progressively not improve. A-Vtec is still a no show and new engines have yet to appear. I'm by no means saying they're a bad company they're just not the choice for enthusiasts any longer. Much as I hate it Nissan ( 370Z vert ) and Toyo ( Lexus IS-F )are offering cars I'd like to own. My S2000 CR is gone and nothing from Honda to replace it.

Got a point WingZ, guess I'm not totally jaded yet - haven't been here that long. I still have faith that eventually Honda will resurface into the racing scene again, with cars that is. They're still doing it with cycles...

I wouldn't buy a Z car again. They are not up to the quality of any Honda or even Toyota. IS-F is a cool car - that would make a great daily! I would love to test one - have you done that? How did you like it if you test drove it?

Tim, Perry is right- we've been played so many times by Honda that it is hard to believe them this time.

After the 1997 update:

Honda's story--> the 2002 was goinng to be a totally new car with 3.5 to 3.8L and 400 hp, maybe V8.

Reality --> the same NSX as last year, but with the bug eyes

After the 2002 update:

Honda's story --> HSC is the new NSX. 3.5L and 350 hp.

Reality --> HSC cancelled.

After the 2005 end of production:

Honda's story --> ASCC is the new NSX

Reality --> ASCC cancelled due to horrible press reaction

After ASCC Cancelled:

Honda's story --> New NSX (now using the word "successor") will be V-10, front engine.

Reality --> HSV V10 fully production ready and then cancelled. But Super GT guys get to drive them with Formula Nippon V8 power.

After HSV Cancelled:

Honda's story --> NSX "spiritual successor" will be V6 hybrid, similar to CR-Z but with better performance.

Reality --> ????

There is a distinct pattern here. We've been hearing since 1997 that the next NSX is right around the corner. Maybe by 2050 we'll actually see it. ;)

Tim, Perry is right- we've been played so many times by Honda that it is hard to believe them this time.

After the 1997 update:

Honda's story--> the 2002 was goinng to be a totally new car with 3.5 to 3.8L and 400 hp, maybe V8.

After the 2002 update:

After ASCC Cancelled:

Honda's story --> New NSX (now using the word "successor") will be V-10, front engine.

Reality --> HSV V10 fully production ready and then cancelled. But Super GT guys get to drive them with Formula Nippon V8 power.

After HSV Cancelled:

Honda's story --> NSX "spiritual successor" will be V6 hybrid, similar to CR-Z but with better performance.

Reality --> ????

There is a distinct pattern here. We've been hearing since 1997 that the next NSX is right around the corner. Maybe by 2050 we'll actually see it. ;)

I've said it here before and I'll say it again.

Look for the concept vehicle to debut on November 30th, 2011 at the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show.

Look for the concept vehicle to debut on November 30th, 2011 at the 42nd Tokyo Motor Show.

Thanks for the heads up Sporteknik. Well, if this concept is a front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout and packaged as a premium grand tourer as you previously mentioned, then it is another broken promise. Which would make it broken promise number 5 for Honda.

Honda, a front engined GT car is not a spiritual successor to the NSX.

Silver F16,
If you're expecting a vehicle with a more cylinders and larger displacement than the NSX you might also be surprised. Much like the upcoming BMW i6, the HSV will augment it's relatively small cylinder count and displacement with an advanced hybrid system utilizing multiple motors. The HSV will achieve most of the performance and handling targets met by the V10 prototype, however they will be met using a very unconventional method.

Last edited:
Actually V6 is fine. Hybrid and Kers supplements are fine. Many of us here bought our cars because excess power is not the what we are after. Just a balanced mid-engine lightweight theme wrapped by a gorgeous body.

With additional motors assisting the engine, that is going to hurt the lightweight theme. Something like the under 3000lbs weight of the Cayman R would be just right, but would be difficult to achieve with a hybrid powertrain and priced in the 50-75K price range.

What worries me is that the weight will creep up over the last NSX and the reliabilty wont be there, due to the many new systems used.

Is looking more like GTR, R8 or AMV8 as a replacement for me.

BTW I said it before, but an "insider" told me the problem with the V10 was the emissions.

I think we can forget about a new NSX, as said before by others.

After the 1997 update:

After the 2002 update:

After ASCC Cancelled:

After HSV Cancelled:

Reality --> ????

Spot on except the HSV is the ASCC in production form.

That's the right time frame as this car is supposed to debut between 16-18 was the word from Acura last November.

Silver F16,
If you're expecting a vehicle with a more cylinders and larger displacement than the NSX you might also be surprised. Much like the upcoming BMW i6, the HSV will augment it's relatively small cylinder count and displacement with an advanced hybrid system utilizing multiple motors. The HSV will achieve most of the performance and handling targets met by the V10 prototype, however they will be met using a very unconventional method.

Ok this makes sense as well as a poster on Vtec.net said the performance on the would blow away the current M3 which I was doubtful of course but he went on to say that the new hybrid system was very advanced.

Actually V6 is fine. Hybrid and Kers supplements are fine. Many of us here bought our cars because excess power is not the what we are after. Just a balanced mid-engine lightweight theme wrapped by a gorgeous body.

With additional motors assisting the engine, that is going to hurt the lightweight theme. Something like the under 3000lbs weight of the Cayman R would be just right, but would be difficult to achieve with a hybrid powertrain and priced in the 50-75K price range.

I agree and I'm fine with a V6 I just want efficiency. Next car is not going to be super light and I'm betting between 35-3700lbs since the car will have SHAWD as well unless next gen SHAWD will be lighter.

I agree and I'm fine with a V6 I just want efficiency. Next car is not going to be super light and I'm betting between 35-3700lbs since the car will have SHAWD as well unless next gen SHAWD will be lighter.

The mechanically complex conventional SHAWD system will supplanted by a simpler electromechanical system.

Last edited:

My prediction, if ever, is the 2012 show. No way they will be ready by November with the earthquake and all.

The mechanically complex conventional SHAWD system will supplanted by a simpler electromechanical system. As for efficiency, fewer than six cylinders is a possibility.

Ok so they have been working on making it lighter. Makes sense that since it debuted on the 05 RL it would be time for a second gen version to debut along with the new IMA.

Sportnik will there be a new engine that you've heard? If so this would be worth calling the car a spiritual successor in as much as a new engine , new IMA and SHAWD would be the rolling new Honda's tech display.

Ok so they have been working on making it lighter. Makes sense that since it debuted on the 05 RL it would be time for a second gen version to debut along with the new IMA.

Sportnik will there be a new engine that you've heard? If so this would be worth calling the car a spiritual successor in as much as a new engine , new IMA and SHAWD would be the rolling new Honda's tech display.

I think they will stick with the J block, but tweaked even more and probably made lighter. Perhaps we will finally see A-VTEC?

I think they will stick with the J block, but tweaked even more and probably made lighter. Perhaps we will finally see A-VTEC?

If they've improved both IMA and SHAWD then that's doubtful. A new engine to complement those as well as the car should be using the 8spd tranny from the HSV as well.

Acura stated that the car while not having the V10 will get the rest of the tech from HSV. Not getting my hopes up but this could be promising.

No A-VTEC.

The engine will not be based on the J-Series engine. The 3.5 L engine will be a DOHC i-VTEC (three-stage VTEC VCM) V6. Some of the unique features beyond cylinder deactivation will be independent throttle assemblies, laser clad welded valve seats (LCVS) and a significant weight reduction to major moving parts. This engine will then be coupled to an aggressive hybrid power train.

Weight Reduction to Major Moving Parts

Pistons - Forged, reduced thickness

Connecting Rods - Ti, DLC, Molybdenum treatment to conrod bolt and bolts without nuts

Crankshafts - Stress groove from Honda's F1 program

Last edited:
No A-VTEC.

The engine will not be based on the J-Series engine. The 3.5 L engine will be a DOHC i-VTEC (three-stage VTEC VCM) V6. Some of the unique features beyond cylinder deactivation will be independent throttle assemblies, laser clad welded valve seats (LCVS) and a significant weight reduction to major moving parts. This engine will then be coupled to an aggressive hybrid power train.

Weight Reduction to Major Moving Parts

Pistons - Forged, reduced thickness

Connecting Rods - Ti, DLC, Molybdenum treatment to conrod bolt and bolts without nuts

Crankshafts - Stress groove from Honda's F1 program

Lots of detail. No questions on my end just a thanks. Regardless of what Honda thinks stuff like this keeps the fans holding on.

Really surprised on the 3.5 size but new engine will bring different results.

Back