• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

New owner in New Hampshire

Hi Folks,
I will be picking up a Red 1991 NSX tomorrow and had a couple of questions.
The car has 145k miles, runs good and had the timing belt and water pump changed about 20k miles ago.
What is a reasonable expectation of the motor before I will need to consider rebuilding it and any idea on approximate cost?
Any recomendations for someone to work on the car in southern NH?
The car seems to have been extremely well maintained but I want to go through it while its garaged this winter. Is there any specific things I should be looking at first?

Thanks very much!
I've loved these cars since their introduction and I am ecstatic to finally be getting one!!

Randy

welcome to being one of the few owners in the New England area. Im still the only one on here I know of from Maine.

As far as when to rebuild, dont worry about it. If its been properly taken care of and you maintain it the way you should it should go another 100k plus miles. If you need any work done go to Mechanics Direct in Lowell, Mass. There the only guys in the area I would have touch my nsx besides myself of course :biggrin:

Anyways good luck and congrats.

Thanks very much for the heads up!
have you done a lot of work to your yourself? i'd definetly be interested in learning more about the car myself!

Randy

Thanks very much!
I've waited a very long time for this!!

Congrats and welcome. I think Mitch at Mechanics Direct is the guy you want to work on your NSX and no one else. He is pretty much the guy here, unless you want to go see Larry Bastanza in NY. Mitch is close, and I will be the first to say he does very good work and he super honest. I'd take the car to him and have him give it a good lookover.

Post some pics!

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your NSX! I'll echo the sentiments of others and recommend Mitch at Mechanics Direct. I've only had an oil change done there since buying the car earlier this year but much of the work on my car by the previous owner was done at Mechanics Direct. Even with something as simple as an oil change, Mitch checked the car over while it was on the lift, ensuring there weren't any issues with it.

Post pics and provide some details on the car. When it's time to wake our cars up in the spring, we'll have to get together.

Welcome to NSX membership. I lived in NH when I went to high school and college in the 70's. In a word, "It's COLD!" You mentioned southern NH, are you around Nashua or Manchester? My folks are in Bedford and my sister lives on 40 acres in Dublin. I get out there every once in a while, maybe we can meet one day for steamers and beer.

As far as the car goes, with the mileage you mentioned you would be smart to check, and probably replace, the cooling hoses (there are about 22 of them!). I blew a coolant line at about 140K and, if it weren't for my mesh engine hatch, might never have known about it until the engine had overheated.

Enjoy the car, and keep the racing on the track!

Sorry for bumping an older thread, just was excited to see another NSX owner in NH! Congrats on the purchase. Im in the Portsmouth area myself and have only seen one other X since moving up here. Once it warms up we'll have to have a GTG.

Matt

Back