• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie question on motor oil for the NSX

Does Honda specify a certain weight/type of oil for the car? Mine is 92. Over time did Honda go to full synthetic as the manufacturer spec?

What do experienced members suggest? I live in NorCal, no super cold winter weather.

10w-30 only! Any good synthetic will do. I prefer pennzoil platinum/ultra or mobil 1. Buy this at walmart in the 5qt jug. $22-$25 depending on the day.

That is all you need to know dont let any one tell you different.

I'll just add that 5w-30 or 0w-30 would be fine (even preferable) as well.

Brian

All of the above are correct.

10w30 is really an old formula.

What really matters is what the oil weight is when the engine is properly warmed up, which is 30.

0, 5, 10w are the weights when everything is cold. The lower the weight the faster the oil circulates, but the film strength is not as strong.

Pretty much all of the modern cars are spec'd for 0w or 5w.

And yes I use Pennzoil Ultra in ALL of my cars.

BTW, you on here?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorCalNSX/

Check the owner's manual .. it does say 10W30 unless you may be operating it in cold temperatures which (going only on memory), I think was anything colder than -10F or something like that .. which you've already said shouldn't be a concern.

Check the owner's manual .. it does say 10W30 unless you may be operating it in cold temperatures which (going only on memory), I think was anything colder than -10F or something like that .. which you've already said shouldn't be a concern.
That's correct. More precisely, the owner's manual and service manual specify 10W30 at any outside temperature above 32F, 5W30 at any outside temperature below -2F, and either viscosity in between those two temperatures.

Also note that at the time the NSX was introduced, Acura was recommending 5W30 (EDIT - as the PREFERRED viscosity at most temperatures) in all its other cars, and moved to 5W20 for its other cars in the later years of production. Their recommendation of 10W30 (EDIT - as the only viscosity at moderate to warm temperatures) was deliberate and specific to the NSX, so don't listen to anyone's silly ramblings about "an old formula".

There's nothing specific about synthetic oil being required or recommended, other than noting that it's acceptable. But if you want the advantages of synthetic - better resistance to breakdown when hot, better flow characteristics when cold - then by all means get synthetic oil.

10w-30 only! Any good synthetic will do. I prefer pennzoil platinum/ultra or mobil 1. Buy this at walmart in the 5qt jug. $22-$25 depending on the day.

That is all you need to know dont let any one tell you different.
Yup. Also note that if you're going to buy full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum in five quart jugs at Walmart for $24.97 before the end of this month, you can get $10 back by mail (limit 2). Click here for details.

Last edited:
Several brands make two versions of full synthetic motor oil. Pennzoil has full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum and premium full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra. Castrol has full synthetic Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology and premium full synthetic Castrol Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology. They do this to compete against so called "premium" synthetics like Amsoil and Royal Purple. I'm sure the premium versions are slightly better than the standard versions of full synthetic, but standard full synthetic is already way better than conventional oil, so I'm not sure the premium versions are worth the extra money.

Also note that at the time the NSX was introduced, Acura was recommending 5W30 in all its other cars... Their recommendation of 10W30 was deliberate and specific to the NSX...

I just looked into the Owner's Manual of a 1990 Honda Accord. The two recommended engine oil viscosities are 5w-30 and 10w-30.

I just looked into the Owner's Manual of a 1990 Honda Accord. The two recommended engine oil viscosities are 5w-30 and 10w-30.
Yes, that's correct, just as I stated. Even back then, they were recommending 5W30 (at all temperatures), usually with the "PREFERRED" label, with 10W30 also acceptable but in warm temperatures only. That's how it reads for my 1994 Integra also - 5W30 is PREFERRED and recommended at all temps, 10W30 also acceptable above 18F. The NSX was the only car for which 10W30 was the only viscosity (or preferred viscosity) recommended at moderate to warm ambient temperatures.

Last edited:
Several brands make two versions of full synthetic motor oil. Pennzoil has full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum and premium full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra. Castrol has full synthetic Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology and premium full synthetic Castrol Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology. They do this to compete against so called "premium" synthetics like Amsoil and Royal Purple. I'm sure the premium versions are slightly better than the standard versions of full synthetic, but standard full synthetic is already way better than conventional oil, so I'm not sure the premium versions are worth the extra money.

Don't get caught up in the word "premium" with synthetics.

It's just a marketing word.

I've gone over this in past threads on oils.

There are 5 groups of base-stocks.

First 3 are mineral oil, however the US Federal Government recognizes the 3rd to be synthetic (which is what the aforementioned Pennzoils are made of) since they define synthetic as not being made from scratch, but the ability to fine tune the oil where you can select specific oil molecule size and ingredients.

My understanding is that the care enthusiasts and pretty much all of Europa considers the last 2 to be true synthetic oil since they are literally made from scratch.

Almost all of the synthetic brands that not sold in mass market stores, but rather speed shops are group 4 and some a group 4 and 5 blend. I have NEVER found a 100% group 5 since it's used to lubricate modern turbine engines and so dam expensive. Last I heard it was $30 per quart.

People also need to be cognizant that it's not only the base-stocks, but equally as important the ingredients (additives, detergents, etc.) that goes into it. Pennzoil ultra basically has the best secret sauce in their group 3 oil that is superior to all oils at the moment.

I still can't find the Ultra anywhere besides Autozone that wants $3-4 more per bottle than Walmart.

Yup. Also note that if you're going to buy full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum in five quart jugs at Walmart for $24.97 before the end of this month, you can get $10 back by mail (limit 2). Click here for details.

So you get $10 rebate from $24.97 or is it $24.97 after the $10 rebate? Thx.

Plenty at Autozone when I picked up 10 quarts last week.

1268943_10202141789686970_1189210538_o_zps84793e7b.jpg

Yeah. regular price is just under $10. No Bosch oil filter for NSX. I got the filter for my DD. With this sale going on now comes out to $6.40 per quart without filter.

Your amazon comes out to $7.83 per quart.

That's correct. More precisely, the owner's manual and service manual specify 10W30 at any outside temperature above 32F, 5W30 at any outside temperature below -2F, and either viscosity in between those two temperatures.

Also note that at the time the NSX was introduced, Acura was recommending 5W30 (EDIT - as the PREFERRED viscosity at most temperatures) in all its other cars, and moved to 5W20 for its other cars in the later years of production. Their recommendation of 10W30 (EDIT - as the only viscosity at moderate to warm temperatures) was deliberate and specific to the NSX, so don't listen to anyone's silly ramblings about "an old formula".

There's nothing specific about synthetic oil being required or recommended, other than noting that it's acceptable. But if you want the advantages of synthetic - better resistance to breakdown when hot, better flow characteristics when cold - then by all means get synthetic oil.

Honda also recommended 5W40 for the NSX in Japan. So 40 weight has been blessed by the corporate mothership for our C30A and C32B as well.

Yeah. regular price is just under $10. No Bosch oil filter for NSX. I got the filter for my DD. With this sale going on now comes out to $6.40 per quart without filter.

Your amazon comes out to $7.83 per quart.

what's ur cost after tax and driving there?

Back