• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Newbie question on motor oil for the NSX

Just want to thank nsxtasy for the heads up on the Penzoil deal. Picked up 2 5qt jugs of 10-30 Platinum at wally world. After the rebate they'll be less than 15 bucks a pop. Not shabby at all.

I'm not big on the time thing and have stretched oil changes past the one year mark (less than 10k miles) before the engine was being rebuilt. Once it was opened up it was clear that there is really no time limit on oil. I think the oil companies just wants to make sure u spend $$$ on oil.

- - - Updated - - -

Just want to thank nsxtasy for the heads up on the Penzoil deal. Picked up 2 5qt jugs of 10-30 Platinum at wally world. After the rebate they'll be less than 15 bucks a pop. Not shabby at all.

Why not the Ultra?

Bats they didn't have the ultra. I've bought the ultra there before so, maybe they were out.

Note, I believe that Pennzoil $10 rebate is only on their full synthetic Pennzoil Platinum, not on their full synthetic Pennzoil Ultra. Although there's a different deal, involving a rebate on the purchase of Shell fuel (with a $10 maximum), that applies to both Platinum and Ultra.

Hey, I just discovered that Mobil 1 has a rebate deal too - $12 back on the purchase of five quarts. Like the Pennzoil rebate, this too runs only through the end of this month, so you have one more week to take advantage of it. It applies to purchases since August 1, so if you've bought Mobil 1 during that time, you can take advantage of it. You'll find details on Mobil's website by clicking here.

Unfortunately, it's not valid at the places that sell their oil at the lowest prices, since it says, "Limited to purchases made at participating retailers. Not valid on purchases made at nonparticipating retailers, including Walmart, Costco, Sam’s Club, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto". Which sucks, IMHO. :mad:

Last edited:
This is news to me.. I just noticed that the last time the nsx had oil change done at acura dealership they switched to 5w-20 penzoil on the service sticker.. from what I can gather honda/acura started switching to this on newer cars for better fuel economy and something about CAFE? .. my concern is the manual recommends 10w30.. now this new oil weight are they implying it to all their cars now regardless of yr? Or is it too late for my engine to switch back to 10w30 syn?

jwmelvin- that is some good reading there. So much reading made my head spin.. It's almost as if his study shows that thinner is better for quicker/better lubrication at startup = less stress and wear on engine..

Last edited:
This is news to me.. I just noticed that the last time the nsx had oil change done at acura dealership they switched to 5w-20 penzoil on the service sticker.. from what I can gather honda/acura started switching to this on newer cars for better fuel economy and something about CAFE? .. my concern is the manual recommends 10w30.. now this new oil weight are they implying it to all their cars now regardless of yr? Or is it too late for my engine to switch back to 10w30 syn?
Honda does indeed now recommend 5W20 on its new cars. On any car, stick with the viscosity recommended by the manufacturer in the owner's manual and service car. So keep using 10W30 in the NSX.

If I were you, I would first check your receipt (or else call the dealer) to verify that they actually used 5W20. It's possible they used 10W30 even though the sticker says 5W20. If they did indeed use 5W20, I would take it back there and tell them they should do the oil change over again - for free - with the 10W30 viscosity recommended for the NSX.

you could be correct.. this change was done by last owner at the dealership and had put 3-4k miles on it since.. hopefully no damage has came out of this.. i will be changing it to 10w30 syn.. so far thru the search it appears that pennzoil ultra 10w30 seems to be praised highly.. only down side is availabilty is limited and hard to come by locally but plenty of 5w30 ultra syn .. is there a runner up synthetic oil out there that is comparable without having to order online?

Last edited:
you could be correct.. this change was done by last owner at the dealership and had put 3-4k miles on it since.. hopefully no damage has came out of this.. i will be changing it to 10w30 syn.. so far thru the search it appears that pennzoil ultra 10w30 seems to be praised highly.. only down side is availabilty is limited and hard to come by locally but plenty of 5w30 ultra syn .. is there a runner up synthetic oil out there that is comparable without having to order online?
I recommend using any major brand full synthetic in 10W30 viscosity. The best prices are usually found by buying five-quart jugs at Walmart. Most Walmarts carry full synthetics in five-quart jugs by Mobil (Mobil1), Pennzoil (Platinum usually in stock, super-premium Ultra can be hit and miss), Valvoline, Quaker State, and Castrol (which, like Pennzoil, has two versions of full synthetic - Edge with Syntec Power Technology and the super-premium Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology).

...... It's almost as if his study shows that thinner is better for quicker/better lubrication at startup = less stress and wear on engine..

Lower the weight the quicker the oil flows when cold to lubricate. In other words less time that ur metal parts are rubbing each other dry to semi dry.

However, the warmed up weight number ideal (esp for high performance engines) higher since the greater the number the greater the film strength.

This is also relevant to machining tolerances of the engine and their respective parts.

Update: Just checked on the status of my rebates and it says they are invalid because - Not purchased at correct store. Well, that sucks I guess Walmarts price is too low to get the rebate.

Update: Just checked on the status of my rebates and it says they are invalid because - Not purchased at correct store. Well, that sucks I guess Walmarts price is too low to get the rebate.
The Pennzoil rebate is valid anywhere. As already noted above, certain stores are not valid for the Mobil 1 rebate.

If this was your Pennzoil rebate form: http://www.fallsynthetics.com/offer_form.cfm, it unfortunately doesn’t state “valid anywhere”, it states “Valid only at participating retailers.”

At the bottom of the webpage there’s a link with which you can “Locate a Retailer” based on your zip code. If you type in the zip code where you bought the oil, does it list your Walmart as one of the participating retailers? If so, you could try giving Pennzoil a call. If not, at least the oil was still a good deal even without the rebate.

New oil available in USA from Belgium, Ardeca, has a Group 5 double esther, TRUE synthetic available for around $10/quart. I'll check pricing from the USA distributor and get back to the group. Their other full synthetics are Group 4 PFO's.

Don't get caught up in the word "premium" with synthetics.

It's just a marketing word.

I've gone over this in past threads on oils.

There are 5 groups of base-stocks.

First 3 are mineral oil, however the US Federal Government recognizes the 3rd to be synthetic (which is what the aforementioned Pennzoils are made of) since they define synthetic as not being made from scratch, but the ability to fine tune the oil where you can select specific oil molecule size and ingredients.

My understanding is that the care enthusiasts and pretty much all of Europa considers the last 2 to be true synthetic oil since they are literally made from scratch.

Almost all of the synthetic brands that not sold in mass market stores, but rather speed shops are group 4 and some a group 4 and 5 blend. I have NEVER found a 100% group 5 since it's used to lubricate modern turbine engines and so dam expensive. Last I heard it was $30 per quart.

People also need to be cognizant that it's not only the base-stocks, but equally as important the ingredients (additives, detergents, etc.) that goes into it. Pennzoil ultra basically has the best secret sauce in their group 3 oil that is superior to all oils at the moment.

I still can't find the Ultra anywhere besides Autozone that wants $3-4 more per bottle than Walmart.

Checking with my friend, who is the sole US distributor, on the racing formula and to whether it's a Group 5. Are all true double ester's considered Group 5's? The other full synthetics they sell are proprietary mixes of 3,4,and 5's. As you well know, it's all about the additive package. When bought in bulk, the cost is <$5/quart, and has comparable, if not better, characteristics than Motul.
Can you confirm that it's 100% Group 5 instead of some blend of group 5 and 4 or 3?

Back