• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Noise in front suspension r/t lowering springs

I have seen in a discussion about suspension that there is a rubber piece on the stock springs, if not moved, to the new springs can lead to this noise. I have looked to find diagrams or pictures of the stock springs in hopes to locate the placement of this piece of rubbber without success. Can anyone help?

Last edited:
My car came with Tein S Tech lowering springs installed by the previous owner. I often hear a snapping/popping sound at the front end, especially when going slowly over rough patches in the road. It seems like it does it when the front becomes unloaded a little.

I haven't looked into it yet, but I assume it may be the springs coming slightly off the shock's spring seat when the shock is extended and then popping back in place when the weight presses down again.

Is the noise you're referring to the same?

On the lower coil of each spring, there is a rubber tubing slid on to minimize this type of noise. It is not an available part from Acura.

The easiest thing to do is find a stock car, see the tubing and how it is installed and get some rubber tubing just like it and fit it to the spring. I recall this tubing actually being split, so it easily is removed/installed. If it is a solid tube you will have a heck of a time sliding it on a full turn of the coil. You will most likely have to split it yourself.

HTH,
LarryB

Yes. It quiets down when driving at highway speeds. The article I refered to(found on NSXprime) stated that the noise can be resolved by removing the rubber piece from the stock spring and placing it on the new spring. I am trying to find info on the location of this rubber piece.
Thanks for the reply.

Re: Noise in front suspension r/t lowering springs: THE CURE

I have found the cure. I went to my local Honda dealership and got a silencer/insulator (The part is for an Odysey or Pilot) for the front coil. This has fixed the problem. I am concerned however about the fit of this piece on the spring. It bunches up due to the difference in radius of my spring versus the intended use. I found the same part at www.dynamicturbo.com. It's called a silencer rubber. I am going to try this part as well.:smile:

Last edited:
Last edited:
anyone?

I would recommend the medium(90mm-130mm). Measure the distance from one side of the spring to the other to know for sure. The piece goes on the next to the bottom ring. I hope this helps.

I would recommend the medium(90mm-130mm). Measure the distance from one side of the spring to the other to know for sure. The piece goes on the next to the bottom ring. I hope this helps.

ah so measure the diameter of the springs right?

To my understanding, this rubber goes over the actual spring itself so that when the car bounces over a bump, it doesn't make any noise right?

I have the CT Pro Suspension Kit and hear the exact same type of sound while driving on bumping road surfaces.

Thanks for posting this thread. Now I know how to fix the problem.

ah so the contact is not the bottom most part of the spring hitting the seat its the spring slapping against the shock body? is that right? this is interesting.....

Yes. If you look at the picture of the spring/coil, note in the lower right hand side, where the end of the spring/coil meet. Just past this point on the upwards slant of the spring/coil is where the piece would go. Not actually in the seat of the spring/coil. I can't believe how nice it is to have no noise.:smile:

Installed these today and damn! What a difference! I ordered them from TEIN for around $5 each (gotta wait on the 2nd set to come in) but the noisy side is so much better! :eek::biggrin: Thank God its not something expensive!

I bought them from Tein's website store. Half the price ($4.75) and shipping was 1/4 of what Dynamic Turbo was. Dynamic Turbo showed shipping of $44 - WTF????

I bought them from Tein's website store. Half the price ($4.75) and shipping was 1/4 of what Dynamic Turbo was. Dynamic Turbo showed shipping of $44 - WTF????

yea its kind of a rip off from the other places... thankfully I didn't complete the order from DT :biggrin:

But what sux is I only have one side done! I need another set :p

Finally got a second set from TEIN... I put the first set on the drivers side front which made most of the sound go away. But if I hit a bump hard enough it still makes the sound.. So I'm wondering if I have it in the right place... should it be near the bottom of the spring or the top?

Worst case I could just cover most of the spring in these damn things just to be sure! haha

Thanks

bump - I am installing new springs/shocks and I am trying to find the spring insulator to solve this issue.

Back