• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Noises from oem exhaust

I keep getting loud ticking noises from my stock exhaust when the engine is switched off after a journey. Comes from the muffler. I've heard this on other cars too sometimes. I thought these kind of ticking noise only happens when the exhaust is new but the car has already done 35k miles on it. Should this still be happening?

Mine did that also - I think it's the OEM heatsheild. It would be louder the harder I was pushing it before shutting it off. It almost sounds like someone using drumsticks on the exhaust - my car has 110K miles

I just switched to a Comptech and no more ticking.

Age has nothing to do with the "ticking" noise.

This is a normal characteristic of thermal expansion-contraction of a metal that has been heated and is now cooling off. I promise you, if you placed a microphone that was sensitive enough to "listen" to the muffler and block out wind noise while the car is being driven, you would hear the "ticking" noise as the muffler was being warmed up from a cold start.

Is there anything we can do to reduce this noise? Damn, it sounds like my car is playin up. Most embarrasing just when you pull up to a large crowd and park up, people flocking to see it only to hear this horrible ticking noise

Back