• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX accessory and interior improvement wishlist for Honda

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
NSX OWNERS ONLY PLEASE:

Please list any accessory, ergonomic, interior or similar issues you'd like to see changed on the next NSX. This thread is not only for features you'd like to see added. It could be a change as simple as changing the layout of the gauge cluster, moving some controls, eliminating an annoying reflection in bright sunlight, etc.

Example of what this thread is about: "Make sturdier cup holders and relocate them somewhere you are less likely to spill coffee on yourself with your elbow".

Example of what this thread is NOT about: "Make sure the next NSX can kick the Ferrari 360 Modena's butt!"

1. Be specific and suggest the way in which something should be improved.

2. Indicate the model and model year NSX you own or are talking about if you comment on the existing car, e.g. "1991 NSX" or "1997 NSX-T".

3. Please stick to accessory, ergonomic and interior type issues and DO NOT list things like "more power" or "light weight" or other big-picture or powertrain wishlist items; they will be removed from this thread.

4. This is not a discussion thread; comment on what YOU would like -- do not debate other people's wishlist items. If you want to discuss or debate anything brought up here, that is fine, but please start a new thread.

The reason for all the rules: This thread will be monitored by someone at Honda who is interested in owner feedback on this specific issue, so please stay focused.

Even if you have discussed an item previously, please list it again here so that person can find all the suggestions in one place. Also, please list any changes you would like to see even if someone else already listed them. That way Honda will know more than one person would like to see that change.

We're always wishing Honda would listen to us... Well here is your opportunity! Thanks! :)

Update the stereo system by deleting the tape deck and having an in-dash cd player. Also a navigation system as standard equipment would be nice. Shift warning lights in the RPM gauge like in the NSX-R.

Last edited:
I agree with the above, and would add:

Auto up/down windows
Auto dimming rear view mirror
Auxillary Power source in center compartment (for cell phones)
Aluminum ringed guages
JDM NSX-S seats
Steering wheel audio controls
In Dash MP3 CD player w/XM
Speakers (component?) with better clarity & imaging
Recharging mini-flashlight in glove box (BMW 330Ci has it, and I love it)
OPTIONAL heated seats
OPTIONAL NAV system
OPTIONAL rubber floor mats (I am a neat freak & they clean very easily)

Edit, I am not sure these count (exterior) but:
Xenon lamps
Factory fogs
Factory security system that flashes the exterior lights
Integrated rear window antenna
LED tail lights
Euro spec side markers
Keep the special order coupes

On a personal note to Honda, I LOVE my '94. Thanks for listening and working to make our beloved NSX even better!

Last edited:
I love the dials for speed and tach. I think they should stay as is. I think the odometer and everything needs to be fully digital. It looks ancient.

The cup holders in my 93 are worthless. I think the car needs one GOOD cupholder.

I would like auto up/down windows and also windows that are about 50 % faster.

I would like to have the leather smell back in the car.

I think the car really needs more interior storage space. It has next to none. The storage behind the seats is OK, but it is very hard to get to. The S2000 has more interior storage!

I think the factory stereo is OK, but we need a in-dash 6 disc CD changer. The one from my TL is great. We also need XM radio. I also think we need a stereo that does not have amps in the speakers. We seem to have a lot of problems with these. A more normal stereo would be better.

I would like the option to be able to change the dash light colors like the new Mustang GT. I think that is cool.

I could live with removing the ashtray and lighter all together and just replace it with a single power outlet.

I love the wheel size and the shifter. They are near perfect.

I would also agree with a factory nav system. I think it should be standard though and not an option.

In fact, I would like no options other than interior colors.

I would like heated seats. The TL has spoiled me :)

I am sure there is more, but that is all I can think of right now.

I only have one true request. If you want to perserve a "sport car" image please DO NOT add a cupholder to this car.

Addendum: Please release a bare bones optionless coupe, or a R-version that lacks all the luxury amenities.

I'd like a weighted shorter shift knob. This one feels kind of like a rowing machine or a one-armed bandit.

OPTION 1:How about a integrated V1 radar detector as a factory option with in dash display. The Lexus GX470 has a built in factory Radar as an option...

OPTION 2: How about a voice command stereo/dvd/mp3/navigation system with integrated hands free phone system with email/internet capability. :D :D ;)

OPTION 3 How about a white face gauge display and a MOMO racing wheel with an airbag as an option.

OPTION 4 How about a factory HID headlight and LED tail..;)

Electric driver seat with at least 2 memory settings

Rear glass (the one between the passenger & engine compartments) defoggers

More storage space

Delete cruise control (never used it in the NSX)

Optional sequential gear box with paddle shifts behind the steering wheel

Honda should look at why motor journalists say the NSX has a dull interior while other cars have great interiors. It may be as simple as aluminium knobs and switches. Carbon fibre features etc. I think electronic gadgets like sat NAV, fancy stereos with lots of speakers should be options on a sports car. I would like a basic stereo as standard. What about a 'sports pack' option and a 'luxury pack' option?

The sports pack as below;

I would also like more headroom, the interior should allow a 6'4 person to drive with a helmet for track use. Maybe mounting points for a 4-point harness as standard, or with sports seats. More dials, for oil temp, an accurate oil pressure gauge. Lastly a lap timer display that picks up on the beacons at tracks, or a g-force based track mapping system and datalog.

Adjustable ABS and TCS controls. Sportier smaller steering wheel. Pedals which are positioned for heel and toeing.

Outside Temperture Reading Display, in dash cd, power outlet on top of dash for radar detector, electronic compass on visor, more factory accessories (shift knobs...), storage in pockets doors if possible, and a less reflective dash board..

No useless electronic options (like BMW), no tape player or huge cup holders.

Rich H

I love my NSX keep it light, swift and agile.

Last edited:
HEADS UP DISPLAY!
Paddle shifting or voice controlled shifting.
Voice control on windows, stereo, climate control. As much as
possible. (keep your hands where they need to be)l
In dash 6 cd-palyer.
Digital odometer to eliminate tampering.
Keep dash lights from reflecting on windshield at night.
Navigation system w/reverse activated rear view camera.
Faster windows.
One touch windows or voice control.
Oil temperature gauge. Better yet to be able to choose what functions each gauge displays.
JDM NSX-S style seats and interior accents.
Outside temperature gauge.
Tire pressure monitor.
Keyless: Operator recognition for entry/exit and ignition.
Eliminate cupholder. C'mon are you driving or not?
Eliminate ashtray.

Last edited:
wishlist/improvements I'd like to see

Mine is a 1991, and I'm not completely familiar with other years/options, but here goes:

1. Heated seats. They make you feel warm before the car warms up.
2. Heated external mirrors and windshield washers that work with the defroster. No fun driving with frost on them.
3. A more reliable climate control unit. The original stock unit has some bugs that many owners complain about.
4. A more reliable/updated stereo w/CD&MP3. Almost no one likes the stock unit.
5. Seat & external mirror memory settings. Helps a lot for those like me that prefer one setting for around town and another at speed on the highway, or for different drivers in the same family.
6. Light in passenger footwell to match driver's side. Why only one?
7. Some degree of storage space, pockets or whatever, in the cabin. Behind the seats isn't enough. There's always a map, cellphone, small umbrella, pocketbook, wallet, gameboy or something that's bouncing around the interior.
8. Fix the rain drip problem from the leading upmost corner of the door when the window is down even just a little. Rain seems to come in from that point pretty heavily. The gutter or lip doesn't do it's job?
9. Add an unobtrusive interior light to light the console from above, much as BMW has. You don't notice it but you CAN see the middle console/tunnel at night with it. No fun searching for something in the middle of the car when it could be lit dimly with an LED or something.
10. Clock and climate display are invisible when the lights are on during the daytime. I find myself straining for too long trying to adjust my vision from the road to the clock or climate display.
11. Seats that adjust in height. I think it would add a lot of flexibility for many drivers.
12. A battery that is covered and away from the elements. I have to clean it twice a year for the corrosion.
13. Add an oil temp guage. It's a better indication of engine temperature than anything else.
14. Fog or driving lamps. I prefer driving lamps, you can't have too much light in front of you at speed.
15. Outside temp and compass (in rearview mirror?)
16. Fix the flappy cover over the passenger sunvisor mirror and use a real mirror instead of plastic. I never use it, but it should be quality on a car like this.
17. Perforated leather seating surfaces. They breathe better.
18. A small work/viewing light in the engine compartment or on the underside of the engine cover (yeah, ok, I like lights! :D)

Having said all this, I hope it doesn't seem petty. Rather, it should be a testimonial that only little stuff like this is all I would want to fix or add. The car is amazing to me every time I look at it or get into it, and I know every owner feels the same. These are just "wouldn't it be nice" things and not necessities. I don't know that I'll ever be able to afford a newer model, but I love my '91. Thanks for the opportunity to say my part and for listening!
Don

Last edited:
Here is the wish list for my 1994 NSX.

1) Better quality sun visors. Both of mine have a one inch split at the seam. Kind of cheap looking and feeling for a $70K car.

2) Delete the tape deck as previously mentioned by other owners.

3) In dash CD player. Either one or multi disc is okay.

4) More presets for the radio. I would like for there to two or more preset groups.

5) Auto dim rearview mirror with a digital display compass.

6) Outside ambient temperature display. (Can be in combined with mirror, clock, or radio.)

7) Ash tray deleted and replaced with larger storage area.

8) Additional 12v power supply in center console.

9) Radio controls on steering wheel.

10) Better design for center console storage. I feel like a contortionist trying to get my wallet out of it at the toll plaza.

11) Possibly a useable slide out cup holder from area near clock/ac vent. Current cup holder is a hazzard and distraction while driving.

12) Ability to adjust pedal position. (If a Ford Taurus can have it I'm sure we can.) Power assisted or manual.

13) Memory positions for drivers seat and #12.

14) Auto up and down for windows,

15) Ability to open/close windows with alarm remote.

16) Heads-up display for speed and tachometer on lower left windshield corner.

17) Dual climate control zones.

This is all that I could think of at 6:30am and most of them are available with my 2001 MDX and the ones that aren't should also be added to it.

Thank you Lud and the Honda exec's who may be reading this.

[Edit] One last thing. A "Flux Capacitor". :D

Last edited:
Honestly, I was discussing this now with a friend and the NSX interior and features are pretty good as they are.

Maybe a indash CD player with MP3 compability (even better a DVD based CD player with MP3 compability, 4.7GB per disc of MP3s :D ).

But reading all these interesting (...for a sedan...) suggestions makes me hope that Honda people knows that the NSX should not be a sporty looking M3 or Merceds SL. I do not need heated seats on the NSX. I do not need DVD video or videogames in the NSX. Keep it light please! Thanks!

Mini list

1) The "radio" is my number one objection to any Honda product. Please hire an outside design group for the audio/nav/electronics options. For some strange reason a car with the highest tech "car" elements has an almost 19th century approach to the "radio". An in-dash, CD, MP3, Aux input unit is desired. Even better is to stick to a standard 1 or 2 DIN aftermarket mounting and allow customers to make their choice.

2) Storage space should be designed in.

3) Automatic dimming rear mirror and side like my Mercedes.

4) get rid of the ash tray and have accessible power outlets.

5) Keep making a fantastic car like the NSX. Hooked for life.

Tom Pfarr
My NSX

I have a 95 - here's what I would add (and like the TL, these should all be standard items):

1. Keyless Entry (still amazes me that this is an option)
2. In-dash CD changer with MP3 and XM
3. Realistic cup holder
4. Delete ashtray and add secondary power outlet
5. Reconfigure useless center console compartments so you can actually store something there
6. Tire pressure monitor
7. Auto up/down windows
8. Adjustable height on the seats
9. 2 Memory settings for seats
10. Adjustable suspension settings via knob
11. Optional paddle shifter
12. Polished exhaust tips
13. A more attractive antenna
14. Delete cassette player
15. Short throw shifter
16. Painted calipers
17. Slotted/drilled rotors
18. Ability to turn off passenger airbag
19. No more BOSE stereo! BOSE is so overrated!
20. Motor sound option for exhaust
21. Reengineer aspirator fan

Remember the price point, and take a look at the features in other Acura cars that cost 1/3 as much. Most of this stuff would seem like a no-brainer.

I personally use my cruise control almost everyday.

The seat could use more adjustments and maybe a little more room down near the pedals for big feet.

I love the idea of being able to choose our own gauge colors.

Thank you Honda for giving us the opportunity to comment and contribute to the design of your next supercar!

I’m 6’3 and the seats are the most comfortable seats I’ve been in, especially for long drives. The view of the road is also very comfortable.

keep the seat design!
Keep the incredible view of the road

forget a cd player and audio source, cd’s will be as outdated as tape in a few years. Instead use a wireless Bluetooth receiver so that we can use our own pocketpc/phone/satellite FM for music and phone source. Integrate Bluetooth hands free cell phone operation

Put one lcd display in the dash that will display/control radio, indoor/outdoor climate, time, gps, compass, miles left for fuel, engine info, battery info, tire temp and psi, radar/laser detection, web access etc. The more info the better—the more control the better. I don’t want to pay some tech to set my car to certain modes like I have to for my Audi (program a #343 for remote up/down windows…). Make system open so that the aftermarket guys can program in custom displays.
Place all LCD controls on the steering wheel
Remove all other buttons that are not used daily like TCS, cruise on/off, dash light control…
Place radio/amp and climate control boxes in hood of car, not in the interior where space is precious. They will be remote controlled via LCD panel and steering wheel buttons.

NSXCA Radio option – I’m serious
Functional and USA tested cup holders – I’d be happy to test them on a long road trip
An exceptional sound system standard
Keep speedo and tach gauges analog
Memory seat positions
Auto dimming rearview
Auto interior gauge lighting level (like the Audi S4 2000)
Auto rain-sensing wipers (works great on our Volvo)
Auto cruise
No ashtray
Interior panels and trim that is easy to remove/install so that we can update the car’s looks over the life of the vehicle.

That’s all I can think of right now. If you want any help designing the computer user interface, I’d be happy to help out!!!

DanO

Some great Ideas

I made a list right after I saw Lud's post, as I read all the responses, I kept crossing them off of my list, the only one left not mentioned was for a center horn hub, the two buttons are ridiculous, while my bright yellow car is highly visible, or so I thought, like many other owners, I can't count how many times people don't seem to see me before they change lanes, and I end up fumbling for one of the two tiny buttons on the wheel. I agree with many of the other suggestions, as I said, my list was picked up by the previous posts, with this exception. Come on Honda, we know what we've got, we love it, but the "improvements" are needed!!

I agree with most of the suggestions. If HONDA is listening I would add PLEASE do not water the car's performance down for the states. I want all the performance of the JDM variants.

I am not very interested in luxury items, any new items that add significant weight should be an option. Keep the NSX beautiful and as light as possible.

Please create optional packages such as

1) "Comfort", "Luxury", "Premium" for folks who prefer aforementioned sophisticated electronic gadgets and luxurious looking interior.

2) "Sports" for folks who like minimalist approach as in type-R.

I prefer the option 2), but there will be a lot of folks in the U.S. who would like the option 1).

Back