• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Bike Rack

Posting per request below.

=====================================

Ken:

I have been meaning to mention my find for publication to NSXCA for some time, but it has continued to slip my mind, and I am unsure how to tap into NSXCA mailing list, anyway. As you may have been aware, I am an avid bicyclist and have been trying to figure out a way to put a bike rack on my NSX. Needless to say, there is no practical means of putting a conventional roof rack on the car. So, I started exploring the possibility of the trailer-hitch style rack (i.e., one that attaches using the square receiver that is common to many trailer hitches).

I found a fabricator here in Ashland who discovered that, behind the rear license-plate bracket is the bare metal of the bumper assembly -- an aluminum I-beam style extrusion. He fashioned a half-inch steel plate that was fitted to the contour of the bumper face, bolted it through the bumper using four large 1 1/2" square "nuts" on the inside (fore face) of the bumper, and then fabricated a receiver assembly that, in turn, bolted to the plate.

With a Draftmaster rack designed for this type of trailer-hitch attachment, I now have a bike rack, capable of transporting three bicycles, which I can mount or dismount from the car in a matter of about five minutes. I have been using it for the past four or five months and loving it.

I just thought there might be a few other NSX'ers with a similar bicycle passion who might be interested in this adaptation. I am sure I could get my fabricator to draw a rough sketch of the assembly, if there are some interested. Feel free to post this note, along with my e-mail address, on any appropriate club bulletin boards or other newsletter forums.

Hope all is well with you and NSXtasy.

Rick

K. Richard Berlet
[email protected]

This is awesome!!!! For years now, we have had inquiries about ski rack, bike rack, small trailer to haul track tires and supplies. If we can set up a group buy for this device, the cost will certainly be lower. I want one! Anyone else?
Steve

There was a post within the past few weeks about a rack that the MR-2 folks were using, built off a rear-end trailer mount, that would hold four tires behind the car. I've tried the search (thank you, Forums Nazi) but I can't seem to find it now. Can anyone point this out to me?

I'd love to mount a rack for my track tires, if the extra 150+ pounds at the rear doesn't make the car unstable during the trip to and from the track...

There is actually a NSX around my town with a rather large bike rack on it. I have yet to come close to investigating it, but when I do il'l report back eh?

Back